The online racing simulator
HomeMade Wheel
(32 posts, started )
HomeMade Wheel
From the creater who brought you the home made pedals!!!!
http://s26.photobucket.com/alb ... ew&current=Pedals.jpg

I now reveal, the Home Made Wheel!!
BTW, before you judge me too quickly, make note that this is more of a joke than a real attempt! If I was really going to make a wheel, I would have used more tape!!!!

Alright, I'll let the pictures mostly speak for themselves, except I'll do a bit of explaining at the bottom, where I'll post the video.
http://s26.photobucket.com/alb ... ffill123/th_Materials.jpg
http://s26.photobucket.com/alb ... fill123/th_TakenApart.jpg
http://s26.photobucket.com/alb ... offill123/th_Attached.jpg
http://s26.photobucket.com/alb ... fill123/th_Positioned.jpg
http://s26.photobucket.com/alb ... offill123/th_Finished.jpg

I don't really have a final product picture, except for what's in the video.
But all I did was take 2 tubes, put one inside the other and made it so that it touched the little wheel in the mouse. I also used about half a sheet of news paper bunched up underneath the tubes for support. The wheel is just a piece of cardboard cut into a circle and taped onto the cardboard tube. No worries though, it's duct tape!

Now, it worked well, but there was one slight problem, as you can, and will see in the video.
And in my defense, I really didn't have much of a choice of which way to position the tubes! They almost HAD to go that way! So, backwards is how it was meant to be! :P
Video:
http://s26.photobucket.com/alb ... iew&current=Wheel.flv
True ghetto style
#3 - dadge
invert axis!!!!
Very good.

Don't flame me...but I see you have a G15 keyboard, the same as me. They are or were about £50, why not just buy a wheel.

That isnt bad vibes or nothing, just wondered.
It's not like I don't have enough money, it's just that I'm wondering, "Would it be worth it??" 'Cause I can play the game fine with my "Keyboard Pedals" and mouse, So I'm just wondering if having a wheel would really make the game that much better. Other than the one I just made, I have never tried a wheel. Ever! I've seen them in stores and stuff, but I have never even pressed a pedal, or turned the wheel, so I have not clue if it would be worth it.
Some day though, I may get one. Maybe I'll see if a store has one on display or something and give it a go.
-LoganC-
Fair enough mate.

The feeling of knowing you made this wheel yourself and it works as well as any G25 must be good

Also, well done for not being a communist
haha I wish it worked that well!
At least the G25 goes right when you turn the wheel right! lol
I decided I should stop use of my wheel, in fear that on a real road, I may turn the wheel left to go right. Would not be good!
-LoganC-
Whoever is in charge of nominations for hilarious home-made peripheral of the year should put your name forward. Kudos to you!
Thanks, But I was surprised it worked! Just wait until I make a shifter to complete my set!
-LoganC-
can l have that wheel lol ill give you one whole doller
Depends, who pays for shipping? lol
-LoganC-
you will lol @ the person above me it has like ummm 10 degrees of rotation lol jk
#13 - Jakg
Anyone care to upload these pics to the forum? I can't get on Photobucket at School...
Jack -
Attached images
Attached.jpg
Finished.jpg
Materials.jpg
Positioned.jpg
TakenApart.jpg
I'm not really sure how many degrees of rotation it has, But I think it's too much!
In the video, I had the mouse speed turned up to max in windows, AND the speed turned up to max in the game. I'll do a test now and let you know.
-LoganC-
Alright, I finished my test.
From lock to lock, (I put the cursor to one side of the screen and turned the wheel 'till it got to the other) On the fastest speed was almost 2 turns. so that's 2X360= 720
At the slowest speed, which is impossible to deal with, it took me a whopping 195 turns from lock to lock. so that's 195X360= 70,200!
And all you think the DFP and G25 are so good with its 900 degree rotation, well, I'd like to see them make a 70,200 degree!
Anyway, there you go.
-LoganC-
BTW, I changed some things around, and I'm actually considering using it full time now. I'll just have to make a better wheel for it. Maybe foam or something.
Haha this is quite funny! I love the two hammers holding the axle in place! You know, it's never too late to reverse-engineer the G25 and sell it for a lower price than Logitech!
Quote from LoganC :Alright, I finished my test.
From lock to lock, (I put the cursor to one side of the screen and turned the wheel 'till it got to the other) On the fastest speed was almost 2 turns. so that's 2X360= 720
At the slowest speed, which is impossible to deal with, it took me a whopping 195 turns from lock to lock. so that's 195X360= 70,200!
And all you think the DFP and G25 are so good with its 900 degree rotation, well, I'd like to see them make a 70,200 degree!
Anyway, there you go.
-LoganC-
BTW, I changed some things around, and I'm actually considering using it full time now. I'll just have to make a better wheel for it. Maybe foam or something.

Very nice! And now you have analog steer unlike with those pedals of yours Nice timbering, I'm eagerly waiting for shifter made by you
Hmmm, yess. I have been pondering the idea of a shifter.
Actually, I do have a cut off shifter from an old truck sitting here next to me waiting the be used. The problem is that it may be too heavy to use my material of choice(Card Board). The other thing is, how am I going to do this???
Any ideas for the shifter would be a GREAT help. I would like to make one this weekend, as I am driving Auto-Gearshift right now and it is driving me crazy! Well, actually, I'm driving IT crazy! lol
I can spend some money for materials, but I don't want to spend too much. Like I can live with a role of duct tape, but I don't want to be buying expensive things like, brand name duct tape,....or $100 rolls of duct tape! lol
Hmmm, so what's left? I've got the Wheel, the pedals, and I'll have the shifter. All that's left is the cockpit. I could use a bunch of those cardboard tubes, and use them as lifts, like the hydraulic ones, and I'd have myself something similar to A Force Dynamics cockpit! But I'm going to keep focused on the shifter right now.
Wish me luck! :P
-LoganC-
Good luck
ur car looked like it was going really fast in the video how u get it to do that?
I've noticed that too! I believe it's because my camera sucks, and it creates a sort of "blur" effect, because it only takes like 30fps, while my frame rate is more than that in game, so it sort of mashes a few frames together, making it looked blurred, making it look like I am going faster! It looked like that with another video I made.
That gave me an idea, I'm going to give this a shot with the BF1 on the drag strip! Just to see what it looks like!
-LoganC-
Quote from LoganC :Alright, I finished my test.
Anyway, there you go.
-LoganC-

LMAO on that.

Quote :BTW, I changed some things around, and I'm actually considering using it full time now. I'll just have to make a better wheel for it. Maybe foam or something.

Foam FTW! I work here: www.jsp.com. Just let me know when you want to order some. Since I work in the R&D department, I could probably get this worked up for you. All you need to do is commit to ordering a couple hundred thousand pounds worth of material per month
Best wheel ever: 70200 degrees of rotations Now you just need to make ffb for it
Quote from mrodgers :LMAO on that.

Foam FTW! I work here: www.jsp.com. Just let me know when you want to order some. Since I work in the R&D department, I could probably get this worked up for you. All you need to do is commit to ordering a couple hundred thousand pounds worth of material per month

Hmmm, I like the ARPLANK foam, seems like it would be nice for a wheel, but ordering that much foam might give me a bigger wheel than I need! So I think i'll pass on the foam. Do you by any chance sell force feedback systems that won't rip cardboard? lol
-LoganC-

HomeMade Wheel
(32 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG