The online racing simulator
Best racing class
(47 posts, started )
Best racing class
What is the best racing class ever

Rules: Explain why you think its the best

Have a nice discusions about it
Drag Racing. It's just Simple, Loud, Ballzy, and just cool.
TBO

I really like the SCCA racing. Very close, and clean. I'd have to watch some more european racing(DTM,BTCC,WTCC) before i declare one the best though.
Quote from BlueFlame :Drag Racing. It's just Simple, Loud, Ballzy, and just cool.

I find it interesting that there's a 4 time champion in NHRA called Tony Schumacher

Stock Car Racing: great competition, elimination (both the chase and qualifying) system, ballzy (especially on Talladega), low tech cars so the field is more even (especially with the new CoT), giant pack racing like no other series
Touring/GT/Endurance

Huge level of diversity, lots of on-track action, the most interesting tracks in the world, bloody sexy looking cars.
Cadet Karting...

5-10 way battles for the lead. Several changes every lap... the BEST racing around...
Quote from lizardfolk :Stock Car Racing:

LizardFolk, don't know if anyone's told you this but we have Stockcar racing in the UK too......it's erm, a bit different from the American version though . This clip actually brings back memories of when i was a lad in the early 70's and my Grandfather took me to the local track to watch the racing, it was my first introduction to motorsport, which might explain why i'm such a crap driver. Enjoy !

p.s they often do this kind of thing on a figure of eight track too !
MotoGP: close battles at the front, loads of lead-changing, no bullshit F1-style sanitising or politics (no Ferrari! ). I love World Superbikes for the same reasons. Plenty of quick Aussies & Ducatis in both classes too :up:

WRC: man+400hp car vs. clock, giant rocks, trees and sheer drops Again, no F1 bollocks.

V8 Supercars: very close racing, monstrous cars, the Clipsal & Sandown 500s and the Bathurst 1000 :up:
Rappa Z, I'd agree with your choice, there's actually quite a bit of good racing on Speed during the weekdays, when they aren't showing F1 or Nascar BS. It's quite shocking, some of the road series' in the US that I've never heard of, that are actually quite interesting with good racing, even though I know none of the drivers.
Quote from MAGGOT :Touring/GT/Endurance

Huge level of diversity, lots of on-track action, the most interesting tracks in the world, bloody sexy looking cars.

:iagree:
Although it can be boring at times and can be highly annoying i always tend to watch F1, i just do not know why, i guess its becuase we get nothing other then that here..

V8 Supercars is good but i would like it better if it was more international.. i would also kill to watch some DTM, Super GT or WTCC..
Touring Car: WTCC, BTCC, etc

It requires high level of driving techniques: pedal clutch, h shifter (in some cases), racing in group, contact with other cars, several crashes, you can race with a destroyed bumper, equality... and it is the most exciting class for me. Besides there are road cars lightly modified, so they are beautiful cars, not horrible wings with wheels like F1 and others.
Rally - Requires unimaginable skill. The only sport where you DON'T know the track ahead of time. That alone is great. And it also has the best driver-fan interaction out there. People stand IN the track as cars fly over the hill, people get crushed when cars go off the track, it's great (and it's also why rally has trouble in the us - liability.) Also, the rally drivers drive their cars in town at the different stages, so you can end up at a red light next to who knows who in his Evo VI rally car. I think it's just great fun to watch.
Quote from Stang70Fastback :Rally ..........People stand IN the track as cars fly over the hill, people get crushed when cars go off the track, it's great (and it's also why rally has trouble in the us - liability.)

As for the spectators standing on the track, Baja has that as well. Someone sent me a personal video that he took when he went to see the Baja 1000. A truck blew a tire on a jump, and before the guys even got out of the truck, a bunch of spectators had ripped the jack off the back, got the truck up, and the tire off the truck. The drivers then put the spare on and left the blown tire with the spectators. Someone went home with a souviner .
Quote from mrodgers :As for the spectators standing on the track, Baja has that as well. Someone sent me a personal video that he took when he went to see the Baja 1000. A truck blew a tire on a jump, and before the guys even got out of the truck, a bunch of spectators had ripped the jack off the back, got the truck up, and the tire off the truck. The drivers then put the spare on and left the blown tire with the spectators. Someone went home with a souviner .

Lol that why i love amarican ofraod racing

Now my favorites are DTM WTCC and oufcourse STD(LFS) racing
Quote from Mazz4200 :LizardFolk, don't know if anyone's told you this but we have Stockcar racing in the UK too......it's erm, a bit different from the American version though . This clip actually brings back memories of when i was a lad in the early 70's and my Grandfather took me to the local track to watch the racing, it was my first introduction to motorsport, which might explain why i'm such a crap driver. Enjoy !

p.s they often do this kind of thing on a figure of eight track too !

I do know there's stock car racing in the Uk. But I've always thought i was ASCAR

That vid was quite amusing
V8Supercars beats everything easily in entertainment other touring car series are:
too uneven (one driver that can drive in fast car and alot lof losers) or have too many wreckers (btcc, dtm, wtcc), or
have too many random in series homoglation tweaks to keep it interesting, sometimes
the tv production plainly sucks (all GT racing I've ever seen, it's not my job to keep track of all team strategies to keep track of who is winning), some
drive on too boring tracks (like only turning left or not turning at all)

Memorable mention:
Rallycross (espesially when they have the alternative turn you have to take once) (I dont think alla series'se got that)
SCCA Runoffs (all cool US amateur series final, formula vee, protorypes classed by displacement to weight ratio etc.)
Truck trial, Icelandic formula offroad, hillclimbs etc. Fantastic to watch once in a while, but I surely cant geep glued to the screen for 1000km's worth of racing as I can with Bathurst.
GT/sportscars/endurance...

Might not always offer the best man vs. man racing especially not in long endurances races (except once in a while ) but it's best form of racing. Sexy cars, different kind of cars even in the same class and endurance elements, driving in night and so on still offers some kind of extraordinary exotic. Too bad the current series are under some kind of recession, even Le Mans itself... there's huge lack of factory backed teams and the current prototypes are somehow boring (obviously from a manufacturer's point of view also). I hope the new 2011 LMP rules will help in that regard

And it sucks that F1 steals all the coverage just because it's called F-f*cking-one. At least here. Only way to watch any other series than F1/rally/DTM is internet stream...
Quote from deggis :
And it sucks that F1 steals all the coverage just because it's called F-f*cking-one. At least here. Only way to watch any other series than F1/rally/DTM is internet stream...

I'm quite satisfied with our racing coverage. F1, GP2, WRC, DTM, WTCC, Formula 3 and Masters, Porsche super and carrera cups... What more do you want?
Quote from hyntty :I'm quite satisfied with our racing coverage. F1, GP2, WRC, DTM, WTCC, Formula 3 and Masters, Porsche super and carrera cups... What more do you want?

Actually not for me because I can't get Urheilukanava here... not having that reduces the choice a lot. But I meant also in general, like the sports news are so biased on F1 and WRC only. Toni Vilander in FIA GT and Mika Salo in ALMS has been very successful, how many times you've seen mentioned them in the sports news?
Stock car, like nascar
coz its always close and there can happen a crash that involves all cars at the last lap
Quote from Stang70Fastback :Rally - Requires unimaginable skill. The only sport where you DON'T know the track ahead of time....

They in fact do a slow run of each stage some days or day before the rally to check their pace notes.

the best racing class is current GT1 class. Every Le Mans the closest battles are in GT1 yet they dont get the coverage because of the daft prototypes. They are also the loudest cars on the track and most beautiful. I miss FIA GT on Eurosport, Bring it BACK!
Quote from BenjiMC :They in fact do a slow run of each stage some days or day before the rally to check their pace notes.

It's called a Shakedown, it's not to learn the tracks, it's just to test the car, to see if anything fails, and to get a feel for the track surface more than anything else.
No they make a recce in normal cars around each stage to make/change notes and then they have the shakedown on an example stage. At least they used to.

Best racing class
(47 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG