The online racing simulator
Vista 64 connection issues
(19 posts, started )
Ok, new rig, new problems. Transfered my old LFS folder over to the new HDD just fine. single player works and runs flawlessly but multiplayer doesn't.

Few specs before I go further:
vista 64 home premium
q6600
8800gts
asus p5k
2GB ocz 6400

So when I go to connect to a server, demo or full, it will DL the skins and do every little connection thing except recieve guest info. I've tried running as admin and full power settings but nothing has helped. gonna try and turn off the firewall real quick...nope. "did not recieve guest info, lost connection to host"

quite frustrating as you can imagine. I've got all the latest driver and everything. Any suggestions?Shrug
download a clean install of lfs and do NOT unlock it. but try it in demo.
if it works then its probably your lfs directory.
#3 - Davo
Definately a firewall problem. What firewall/s are you running?
just the windows firewall. not sure about my router if it has one...not too savy on the whole networking aspect of computing but I'll try a clean install.

no dice. same error. Any other thoughts?
Quote from mattlikespeoples :just the windows firewall. not sure about my router if it has one...not too savy on the whole networking aspect of computing but I'll try a clean install.

no dice. same error. Any other thoughts?

have you allowed LFS to connect to the internet in the windows firewall options? If not, try doing it (Go to System Control->Windows Firewall and click on the second option in the left part of the window, should be something like "Grant internet access to programs". Add LFS there. Try again.).

If that still does not work, be sure you have turned UAC off in the security center. that one is the most useless feature of Vista because it will block certain aspects of programs and ask for permission every f***ing single time. So turn it of. And then try again Wink
alright, UAC is off, firewall access granted but still dont recieve guest info even though it loads the track, textures and even downloads the skins. It's like it times out. UGH, haven't played LFS online in 2 weeks. I miss it.

CAN ANYONE HELP ME?!
So I guess no one else has this problem. Can the devs help me out here? Do they have any clue? All of my other online games work flawlessly with low ping. I cant run CS:S on certain servers with single digit pings so It isnt my connection.
#8 - Jakg
Do you have a router?

I'm running on 64-bit Home Premium, no issues.
yeah, i've got a belkin wireless router but I just use a cat 5 port in the back since I'm right next to it. my roommates use the wireless connections. Not sure why it would be a problem now and not before. Like I said, rest of my internet works just fine Shrug
bumpShy
Quote from mattlikespeoples :bumpShy

try the following: REMOVE any LFS-related entry from your windows firewall settings.

then run LFS in windowed mode and connect to the master server by fetching the server list. if everything is right, a Windows Firewall window should pop up stating that LFS is trying to connect to teh intarweb Wink. tell windows not to block it anymore and you are fine.

and if that still does not work, get a decent anti-virus and firewall solution. I personally recommend BitDefender Internet Security.
bump...

Still same issue. clean install, demo, s2, firewall on or off. nothing has helped. Is there a way I can report this to the devs to take a look at? AFAIK I'm the only one having this problem or the only one to post about it. Recieving everything but guest info is no fun
Quote from mattlikespeoples :Still same issue. clean install, demo, s2, firewall on or off. nothing has helped. Is there a way I can report this to the devs to take a look at? AFAIK I'm the only one having this problem or the only one to post about it. Recieving everything but guest info is no fun

I will put money on it not being a problem with LFS, but potentially an issue with your connection. Some ISPs are known to limit traffic, or even block, on specific ports because they're suspected to be P2P traffic. You might wish to ask whoever provides your connection to see if they do so.

If you're not happy with the assistance, you can get in touch with the devs directly here:
http://www.lfs.net/?page=mailus
well, same isp from when I moved in here a year and a half ago and even have gotten a bandwidth upgrade. We have no p2p trafficing or bandwidth usage restrictions and this all worked just fine before. I just dont understand what could cause it to act like this. every other online game works great. no lag (obviously server dependant), no stutter or odd behavior.

LFS will load track, download skins and layouts but sticks at recieving guest info. No warning from windows firewall. does the same thing with that feature on and off. guess I'll send this thread to the devsShrugFrown
I just had this problem! delete LFS and reinstall then try a few more times to get into servers. Thats what worked for me.

Hope this Helps
#16 - Jakg
Quick Hint:

Last night i had the same issue ("Did not recieve Guest info" on Connect) running x64 Home Premium Vista, however this was since Windows Update had installed new Network Drivers for my network card - went to my mobo's website (t'was an Asus P5K in this case), downloaded the old drivers, installed them and it was working again.

EDIT - You've got a P5K, too. Methinks i just cracked it!
lord i hope so...

whipped out the CD that came with my p5k, reinstalled the original driver and BAM! This has been killin me for ages and I'm so glad there are people like you, Jakg, to help people out Smile so many thanks
[rant]
what about a little excuse for nearly two months of blaming the lfs team for your problems?
[/rant]

glad you finally found the solution. This one was really hard to find. Why, oh why am I not at all surprised it was a problem on the microscrap side again... Schwitz
i appologize for blaming it (kinda) on the devs but since every other apect of my internet access worked flawlessly and LFS was the only area to have problems, what was i to think?

(19 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG