Graphics Card advise
(7 posts, started )
Graphics Card advise
GeForce FX 5200 @ 256MB

What do you think

OR

GeForce 6200 128 DDR

#2 - Jakg
the later is better, but neither are exactly immense.
#3 - Zomah
well you wont be happy with either one but i'd go for 6200. 256mb of video memory will not do any good for you if you can't play games that use that much graphics memory. and im guessing you want it for liveforspeed so there you go. also be sure you've got a decent soundcard, cause that can reduce framerates too

EDIT: damn my slow typing
forget both of them.

A 6600GS wont set you back too much more, and it is a much better buy than either of the two you mentioned.

As you are looking at a 5200 or a 6200 I assume you are still running an AGP mobo. That isn't a problem, as both the 6600GS and GT are available in AGP flavour
????
Quote from Zomah :well you wont be happy with either one but i'd go for 6200. 256mb of video memory will not do any good for you if you can't play games that use that much graphics memory. and im guessing you want it for liveforspeed so there you go. also be sure you've got a decent soundcard, cause that can reduce framerates too

EDIT: damn my slow typing

Could you explain please? How does the sound card afect frame rate?
Thanks Toddshooter
Quote from Toddshooter :Could you explain please? How does the sound card afect frame rate?
Thanks Toddshooter

A game with a lot of complex audio processing stresses the CPU more. The more audio processing the CPU does, the fewer cycles are left to do graphics processing. A higher-end sound card will have it's own processor to handle all the audio.

LFS has pretty tame audio (no 5.1 surround or EAX or anything like that), so a powerful sound card probably won't make an appreciable difference.
#7 - Jakg
Having a sound card like an X-Fi can take load of the CPU, but it's VERY marginal and you could get a LOT more peformance by just buying more RAM or a better CPU which would work out to be the same price.

Graphics Card advise
(7 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG