The online racing simulator
Pitcrews
(21 posts, started )
Pitcrews
I don`t know if this is proposed before !?

A piece of software, offline offcourse, which can load your setup. Then we can tell the pitcrew (Teamspeak etc.) what we want, when we hit the pit. Everything can be altered, tyrepressure, camber, fuel, caster etc stc. When I hit the pit, I press a button to "load" the changes. Time could vary, depending of the amount off changes. (You have a crew, not participating in the race, who changes the car for you.)

And I miss local chatting. It would be nice to talk to one racer specific, and noone else could see what is said

Last, but not least.
Disallow chat when race starts. Only spectators can chat, and no racers is able to see that, if they not press a button
#2 - Gunn
If you were to adjust camber and caster in a pit stop, I think your race would be over.
- 1, I like it the way it is now

Quote : Last, but not least.
Disallow chat when race starts. Only spectators can chat, and no racers is able to see that, if they not press a button

- 1 !!

I would say it`s a very bad idea to remove the chat from everyone that ain`t spectating. Sometimes the chat can help you, or giving feedback to something that happening on the track, it would be plain borring if we remove the chat for the racers. At least imo.
i agree with The Very End, you wouldnt be able to apologise if you caused an accident or have a go at someone that caused an accident .
I never apologise during a race. Which seems to upset people. I also never have a go at people who caused an accident unless we are both out of the race and spectating.

+1000 to no chatting whilst driving.
Quote from tristancliffe :I never apologise during a race. Which seems to upset people. I also never have a go at people who caused an accident unless we are both out of the race and spectating.

+1000 to no chatting whilst driving.

Who would want to talk with you anyway?

Joke
The no-chatting doesn't really work on public servers because there might be something you need to say for the admin like someone wrecking or causing havoc on the track. There is the ignore messages button if you wish to drive in silence.
I can understand no-talking in a league race but honestly.. its easy to look in the top left and see whats written, just read it fast, if its not interesting, don't read it again... but in Publics.. it's like a cart session, the only reason you're left alone is because nobody can physically talk to you, when your pedal to the metal and its pretty noisy. People who block messages I have never understood anyway, but it is an easy thing to do. Stop whining. You have what you need.
I like the animated pit Crew but anything further is a no go
I would enhance the idea.
Why do we have to go in an diffeent screen when adjust the setup. the car vanishes.

i would like to see some buttons with opacity to adjust setup, and the cars stays in pit, so you can see other drivers driving out of the pits while you adjust setups. and while adjusting there could be 4 simple mechanics maybe with a wrench or another tool in hand simple animated.

drives who drive out of pit could see the mechanics working on another car and then would know that this driver is adjusting at the moment. if he does nothing, there shouldbe no mechanics.

i would like that
I think you should be able to adjust certain things if you go to the pit, like in real racing.......

Of course there should be a limit or a basic time added for certain adjustments.........

But I always thought it strange you can't change things when you pit....
What can't you change in the pits that you could in real life?
Well, you can change things before you pit, but while actually pitting you can't without dropping out of the race.

Maybe that's what StableX meant?
#16 - Dru
Quote from tristancliffe :What can't you change in the pits that you could in real life?

Loads of gaffer tape for that essential repair and go
I tell my pit crew to change things at the pitstop, and they do (apart from the gaffer tape, I'll agree on that one). In real life surely they radio (assuming a prefessional team that can a) afford car-pit radio and b) enough time/money/crew/spares to do anything with it) what they want BEFORE they come in, and it happens.

It's just that in LFS we can change too much. Camber? Castor? Toe? I think not. Wings and tyre pressures maybe. The live ARB need a smaller window around the garage setting, and the live brake balance should be limited to 35-65% (and both should be removed from everything except the Formula cars (excl. MRT).
I think that the way setup changes should take place should be a little CMR2eqsue. This would be best done with a live timing screen which could be toggled near the top of the screen.

Each setup change - and repair - will take a realistic amount of time.

Basically, the setup screen would have two new buttons - clear this tab and clear all. If there are setup changes that you want to make, the leave pits button will be replaced by a start work.

You set what you want them to do - let's say change the tyres to a different compound (30 seconds), and replace the front wing (1 minute). However, a repair to the engine or tub might take an hour or so.

During a race or session

Whilst the pit crew are working, you can still watch the live timing or spectate like the current system.

You can add more work to the queue whilst work is being done, and also remove bits from the queue as well. Setup changes should not be abortable, neither should part replacements but some repairs could be.

Between sessions

CMR2-style time allocation system. You get (say) 4 hours to spend on repairs. You choose what to change or what to repair.
Quote from tristancliffe :The live ARB need a smaller window around the garage setting, and the live brake balance should be limited to 35-65% (and both should be removed from everything except the Formula cars (excl. MRT).

agree about the range of adjustment but not sure about restricting it to the formula cars, plenty of gt racers have in cars brake balance and antirollbar adjust. rally cars have had in car brake adjust for as long as i can remember , i plumbed up a twin master adjustable system in an road rally alfasud in the early 80s and on a simpler level a few of the locals have adjustable rear brake preassure limiter valves on their fwd road rally cars to move the balance between F 50 / r 50 and f 100 / r 0.

as an aside untill it was looked for and banned a lot of the 70's mini racers used to block off the rear brake pipes with small ball bearings to prevent them working at all
Quote from duke_toaster :I think that the way setup changes should take place should be a little CMR2eqsue. This would be best done with a live timing screen which could be toggled near the top of the screen.

Each setup change - and repair - will take a realistic amount of time.

Basically, the setup screen would have two new buttons - clear this tab and clear all. If there are setup changes that you want to make, the leave pits button will be replaced by a start work.

You set what you want them to do - let's say change the tyres to a different compound (30 seconds), and replace the front wing (1 minute). However, a repair to the engine or tub might take an hour or so.

During a race or session

Whilst the pit crew are working, you can still watch the live timing or spectate like the current system.

You can add more work to the queue whilst work is being done, and also remove bits from the queue as well. Setup changes should not be abortable, neither should part replacements but some repairs could be.

Between sessions

CMR2-style time allocation system. You get (say) 4 hours to spend on repairs. You choose what to change or what to repair.

i was thinking the same thing, i didn't bother posting though because i think that's just making things way too technical. i think the amount of time spent developing that kind of system wouldn't be worth the amount of use it would get...which is rarely in long league races and probably never in short pick up races. while i am all for LFS being realistic as possible, i wouldn't want to sit around for an hour while my "crew" was making changes to my car.
Quote from tinvek :agree about the range of adjustment but not sure about restricting it to the formula cars, plenty of gt racers have in cars brake balance and antirollbar adjust. rally cars have had in car brake adjust for as long as i can remember , i plumbed up a twin master adjustable system in an road rally alfasud in the early 80s and on a simpler level a few of the locals have adjustable rear brake preassure limiter valves on their fwd road rally cars to move the balance between F 50 / r 50 and f 100 / r 0.

as an aside untill it was looked for and banned a lot of the 70's mini racers used to block off the rear brake pipes with small ball bearings to prevent them working at all

I thought Mini's were FWD... why wouldn't they want the rear brakes to work? Are you sure you don't mean the FRONT brakes were blocked off?

Pitcrews
(21 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG