The online racing simulator
has racing changed?
(90 posts, started )
has racing changed?
i have been drifting for a few weeks now after a 3 month brake on lfs and i finally went back to racing and its great fun!! untill i went on the ctra race 1 server.........i didnt finnish 1 race i was in 5th and someone decides to use me as a brake and total my car, it always happens has racing just turned into bumper cars? im sick of ctra i never go on there every time i do its the same no matter what position you are in except mile away in first i always get hit and taken out!
is there anything ctra can do about this problem or has lfs just got a lot of new racers who think totaling someone elses car to win is fun?

i love lfs its the best racing game in the world but whats going on? has it all changed or have people just started using bumpers a bit too much

does anyone else get the same problems?
So, did you file a report?
#3 - Bean0
The thing with the CTRA race 1 server is that it has a higher proportion of new/learning drivers than most other servers.

There are procedures in place to be followed if you have grievances with any of the drivers you meet on there. The CTRA team will not act against anyone without a submitted report.
Please use the $rep feature.

Also try typing $help on the server for more information.
I am not condoning wrecking, but in real life if you are

1. not up to speed
2. not 'aggressive'

you will get destroyed, especially in tin top racing...

what you get is guys who want to make real strong moves, and if you not ready for it, or just wimping around you will get engulfed.

You will notice that the fast drivers, that are blamed for all this, once they are all racing together there isn't any major contact, nor is there much complaint between them. The reason for this is because they are used to it. It's how you gotta be....it's the same in real life.... and that's a testament to how good racing in LFS is.

I am in no way saying to win you should wreck people, but I am recognising the fact the the driver who is indecisive, not aggressive, and non-ballsy enough can cause as much carnage as anyone else. Of course they look blameless, but it's something I see time and time and time again. The driver that is indecisive and unpredictable is the one that can cause all the trouble for themselves.

When your racing someone who you know is fast, decisive, and as aggressive as you the racing is clean, and respectful. Contact may be made, but that happens. that;s how it happens in real life, and that's the way it happens in LFS!

sometimes ppl don't understand how much of a nuisance they are.

I would have to see a reply of your races to decide an opinion on your specific situation.... but sometimes you just gotta turn it on. Be decisive, go for it... that's what makes racing fun...
#6 - Bean0
Quote from Intrepid :I am not condoning wrecking, but in real life if you are

1. not up to speed
2. not 'aggressive'

what you get is guys who want to make real strong moves, and if you not ready for it, or just wimping around you will get engulfed.

You will notice that the fast drivers, that are blamed for all this, once they are all racing together there isn't any major contact, nor is there much complaint between them. The reason for this is because they are used to it. It's how you gotta be....it's the same in real life.... and that's a testament to how good racing in LFS is.

I am in no way saying to win you should wreck people, but I am recognising the fact the the driver who is indecisive, not aggressive, and non-ballsy enough can cause as much carnage as anyone else. Of course they look blameless, but it's something I see time and time and time again. The driver that is indecisive and unpredictable is the one that can cause all the trouble for themselves.

When your racing someone who you know is fast, decisive, and as aggressive as you the racing is clean, and respectful. Contact may be made, but that happens. that;s how it happens in real life, and that's the way it happens in LFS!

I would have to see a reply of your races to decide an opinion on your specific situation.... but sometimes you just gotta turn it on. Be decisive, go for it... that's what makes racing fun...

That is a very good post
like that good point
Yes, its called the pick-up race mentality. And its concetrated on those servers because as someone mentioned its usually a lot of the newer drivers (and drivers who don't bother to race on CTRA servers except every blue moon). In a way it's good, because maybe it'll draw more of the problem folks to those lower CTRA server and leave cleaner pick-up racing elsewhere. It's bad because it frustrates people who are attempting to legitimately move their way up the CTRA ladder system. And of course it has its downside in the segregation of the community.

Quote from MIDWINTER :
is there anything ctra can do about this problem or has lfs just got a lot of new racers who think totaling someone elses car to win is fun?

well, CTRA 1 racing standards are FAR better than that on Redline Racing 2... It's full of retards tbh, they just ram, you, and will do anything to be infront, even for just 6 meters more track than you..
Not sure I agree totally with the elitist mentality.

If you don't know who you're dealing with you use something called caution and common sense. I would bet the bigger problem is the faster drivers thinking they own the track on a BEGINNER server. Wow, respect.

Brake 10m earlier if you have to, to ensure that you don't wreck someone you're not used to racing with. Good drivers are not the ones who can only race at one pace constantly, using muscle memory along with 4 others of the same caliber... The good drivers are the ones that can think outside their little world and realize that not every driver has mastered that combo, and use some thought to make sure they don't wreck someone else's race. If you rear end someone, it's your own fault - period. Just like IRL. If you're inches behind someone you haven't "scouted", why would you be on the same line going into a braking zone? That's not using your head at all. If you have skill, use a modified line and go around them when it's safe. It's not very bright to expect everyone (esp on a beginner server) to drive just like you.
i've started using the ctra single seater server recently and havent had a noticable problem with being hit, just my own mistakes taking me off

maybe its because i tend to adopt the " its a fun race not a competition" attitude, when somone goes to make a pass i give them (lots of ) room, when i want to pass i make sure i've a very high chance of making it before i try the move, when someones close behind me i try not to be too sudden in any changes in direction or when slowing.

its not going to win me any titles but it makes the racing fun and a pleasent experience
still they need to make those things clear .. i reported SILVER licenced driver that was preety fast and he multiply braked on normal braking point drafting me and being just like 1m behind me and of course not making any more but just using me ass brake , saying that usualy sorry and doing nothing.

well they didnt see anything wrong in report.
The problem is that if you treat a beginner as a 'beginner' then they will only learn to drive in that manner. the sooner they learn the reality of racing and the consequences of being indecisive the better for them and everyone else.

And especially into T1 in most races.... this is where the most carnage is... you can;t account for 20+ cars... you have to go in and see what happens. It the indecision at starts that causes all the trouble... its people backing off, braking early, and expecting room for themselves...

When I started racing as a kid it was crazy... karts would be going this way and that way... but the sooner you learnt how to deal with that, how to plan your starts, and how to be decisive my troubles went away. The biggest accident I was ever in was because I braked too early at the start and got a pile of karts hit me... it wasn't there fault... it was MINE

its no different in LFS
I prefer to race with guys faster than me, 1. I can learn from them and 2. I can trust them that they aren't going to wreck me with extreme stupidity. Even if I am in last place. I prefer racing with faster guys..

1. not up to speed
2. not 'aggressive'

Its a begining server!! You shouldn't be there engulfing anyone.
Move up to the next server and let the platinums engulf you if your into engulfing.

Quote :You will notice that the fast drivers, that are blamed for all this, once they are all racing together there isn't any major contact, nor is there much complaint between them. The reason for this is because they are used to it. It's how you gotta be....it's the same in real life.... and that's a testament to how good racing in LFS is.

I've raced against lots of drivers that were so much faster than me it was laughable. But the really good ones didn't ever touch me! They could drive where ever they wanted on the track and pass with no problem

Quote :I am in no way saying to win you should wreck people, but I am recognising the fact the the driver who is indecisive, not aggressive, and non-ballsy enough can cause as much carnage as anyone else. Of course they look blameless, but it's something I see time and time and time again. The driver that is indecisive and unpredictable is the one that can cause all the trouble for themselves.

No your not, BUT you are saying if a faster driver takes out a slower driver its the slower drivers fault.

Quote :sometimes ppl don't understand how much of a nuisance they are.

Maybe you're the nusance and just don't realize it!!

quote]
Quote from Toddshooter :
I've raced against lots of drivers that were so much faster than me it was laughable. But the really good ones didn't ever touch me! They could drive where ever they wanted on the track and pass with no problem

Case in point!

That is exactly true.
the ctra single seater servers i find fine because most ppl on them seem to be more experienced but its just that particular server that i was getting seriously frustrated with and it has totaly put me off going abck on it its pretty much every time im on it you bettle through to a good position someone uses you as a brake desperate to get points.........

its wierd i even get cleaner racing on bump and jump
#18 - thd

1. not up to speed
2. not 'aggressive'

Well aren't you full of crap :chairs:
Any and all suggestions that the CTRA 1 server is populated by a higher portion of new and inexperienced drivers is bullshit.

CTRA 1 allows new drivers, unlike our tier 2 servers, but that does nto make them magically appear.

We have some very fine and talented drivers who enjoy racing on Race 1 because they enjoy the cars. A glance at the CTRA lap records will show you that.

The CTRA system, in its current and former guise, has done more than any other server to change the attitude of 'gamers' and clean up the sport of simulated racing.

To call it a newb server is frankly insulting and wholly innacurate.

You've all forgotten what it was like before the STCC public servers first started, and LFS culture after an accident was to rejoin the track without looking, and barely anybody knew overlap regulations when overtaking. Most drivers now know these rules, sure not everyone follows them but that's why we have the only advanced 24/7 admin reporting system in sim racing.

Thank you.
TBH I've been racing on CTRA 1 for a while now and haven't felt the need to report anybody. I tend to start at the back the first race, let the field get away, and put in a good lap. I then start towards the middle/front of the pack and from there I don't get people ramming me. The only thing that really annoys me is people not paying attention when recovering from a crash.

I try to respect other drivers (give space, look before changing line etc), and for the most part, recieve the same respect in turn. Accidents happen, but I have rarely thought someone took me out on purpose. I also figure that the reporting system will be a deterrent for wreckers not present on other servers.

Or perhaps I'm just lucky
I'm with Ball Bearing Turbo and Toddshooter here.

You can be the fastest driver ever. But if it makes you crash into people that are doing nothing wrong, you're just not good enough

Edit: Origamiboy, not lucky... It's the same with me. Or we are just lucky
I'll beg to differ. I'm not sure that it's done anymore or less than any other licensing or league system. Those that want to be clean will, those that don't... well nothing is going to persuade them otherwise. Are there those that eventually see the benefits to racing cleanly when presented with quality racing (or getting their knuckles cracked a few times via protests), absolutely. However, what I have seen is a new layer of stratification apart from track and car preference. Exclusionary practice is bad for the LFS online racing community.

Quote from Becky Rose :The CTRA system, in its current and former guise, has done more than any other server to change the attitude of 'gamers' and clean up the sport of simulated racing.

Quote from Hollywood :Exclusionary practice is bad for the LFS online racing community.

You may not like it, but remember that this all started with a NEED for my league drivers to have people to practice against who didnt constantly crash them, as it had proved impossible in the run up to our Aston Cadet round for our drivers to get good uninterupted lines in a public server with 2 live admins. It wasn't working, too many people did not know rules about overtaking or rejoining into traffic.

The wrecker barricade might stop some people from driving the wrong way, but it did nothing to teach armchair racers what the rules of the track where.

The CTRA is just a public server system, not a league, for that there is the STCC. I believe our public servers has positively impacted the overall standard of racing in LFS, whether i'm right or not is for the reader to decide, but I do remember how hard it was to 'run the guantlet' in public racing.
Quote from Becky Rose :You may not like it, but remember that this all started with a NEED for my league drivers to have people to practice against who didnt constantly crash them, as it had proved impossible in the run up to our Aston Cadet round for our drivers to get good uninterupted lines in a public server with 2 live admins. It wasn't working, too many people did not know rules about overtaking or rejoining into traffic.

The wrecker barricade might stop some people from driving the wrong way, but it did nothing to teach armchair racers what the rules of the track where.

The CTRA is just a public server system, not a league, for that there is the STCC. I believe our public servers has positively impacted the overall standard of racing in LFS, whether i'm right or not is for the reader to decide, but I do remember how hard it was to 'run the guantlet' in public racing.

Personally, I think ''exclusionary practice'' is great for LFS. If you had no concept of racing rules and behaviour you would not be allowed to race in RL, so why should you be able to in a racing sim?

It may take time to learn the ropes, but once you do the experience is infinitely more rewarding.

Its amazing how many people moan about a sim not being realistic enough, then set about driving in a manner that would be downright lethal in RL.
Quote from Toddshooter :

Its a begining server!! You shouldn't be there engulfing anyone.
Move up to the next server and let the platinums engulf you if your into engulfing.

No your not, BUT you are saying if a faster driver takes out a slower driver its the slower drivers fault.

Maybe you're the nusance and just don't realize it!!

quote]

your missing the point. Most of the time I pass people without contact or any trouble... but it's indecision that causes the trouble. Something the some drivers suffer. I am not having a go at them, they have to learn.

But it annoys me when people think they are being wrecked when they are not. Sometimes you will be engulfed, and basically be a sitting duck. For me in this situation there isn't any room for complaints. You just get your head down and get on with it.

I have witnessed literally thousands of races as many of you have, and a considerable amount of the time it's indecision, especially at the start that causes most of the trouble.

has racing changed?
(90 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG