The online racing simulator
What about a seperate app request section?
(16 posts, closed, started )

Poll : Seperate section for tool requests?

Yes
I don't give a sh*t
No
Since patch X came out there has been a big increase of people requesting applications here and I don't think those kind of posts belong here.
Why not you ask me? Well, let's read the forum description:
This is a forum for addon programmers to discuss their work with other programmers. This is NOT a technical assistance section!
Imo asking for the gazillionth cruise insim app doesnt fit in that description

Anyhow, I was just wondering about this and no one has made a thread about it yet, so hopefully we can go into the new year without useless requests.
There have been numerous bitchings about where to place addon requests. Quite frankly I don't think this is gonna change a thing.
What we been needing for quite a while now is a programmer section moderator who can keep the place in order.
Quote from the_angry_angel :There have been numerous bitchings about where to place addon requests.

Frankly, the shouldn't happen at all. Well, most of the ones that we seem to get. So there is really no need for a new section at all, perhaps just more liberal use of the padlock.

Quote from BurnOut69 :What we been needing for quite a while now is a programmer section moderator who can keep the place in order.

All moderators have rights to act in the programmer section. What do you think needs doing? Shooting all the stupid people aside, that is?
Quote :All moderators have rights to act in the programmer section. What do you think needs doing? Shooting all the stupid people aside, that is?

That would work No, seriously, someone should keep the place clear of stupid "I need an insim" requests.
#6 - Ian.H
People shouldn't be asking for such apps IMO... the people who do clearly have no idea what's involved in coding. Skin requests, renders, sure.. they're relatively simple and quick (in comparison to coding) to do.. asking someone to "write a insim" is just takin' the piss IMO.

I'm all for people asking for help to better their knowledge, asking for it to be done for them is just a no-no.. unless someone's first putting up the £££.

Regards,

Ian
Quote from Bob Smith :Frankly, the shouldn't happen at all. Well, most of the ones that we seem to get. So there is really no need for a new section at all, perhaps just more liberal use of the padlock.

If not a section, perhaps a method of clearing them up? Maybe a stickied giant merge for all the requests for similar modifications, etc.? At least that would be tidy, and people would be more likely to see it at the top of the forum.
Not a bad idea, there is room for one more sticky in this forum. I'll discuss it with the other mods.
The request posts are really annoying, in fact they often put me off even coming in here, as there are very few topics on actual programming any more. I personally think that those 'cruise' topics should just be moved into the addons section, as they have no place here. Also a big giant FAQ sticky about how to get a 'cruise' server might be useful.
Yes, it'd be nice to have the forum moderated to get rid of the nonsense posts that are just requests, combine "how to program" topics into one, mark the "how to program" as sticky, etc.
B/c none of the 'How to program' topics are any good, if you want to learn how to program, you will, and you'll do it by your self, just like (I'm pretty sure) most of the people in here did.

While, I don't think that we need a mod for the programmer section specifically, and most of the mods don't seem to have a direction on what to do in this section. A standing rule set for this section would help. It would also seem that none of the mods seem credentialed in the area of programming, or at least not enough to make the call.

If I could make some recommendations:
  • I would say that any 'Can you make me 'an insim'' requests go to the 'Unofficial Addons' area.
  • Any 'How to Program' requests get moved into the 'Technical Assistance' and / or merged into a 'How to program' thread.
  • If we do get a head mod for the programmer section I would place angel's, and Becky's name on the short list, if not just giving it to one of the current mods as a primary responsibility.
Moderating here is quite relaxed, nobody has 'assignments', I can only vouch for myself but I just moderate as and when I come across stuff, and I only read about half the forum on a regular basis. The reported posts help point us to things we missed. I'd agree it's a very unprofessionl approach but then we're all volunteers.

Those suggetions seem fine though, will give it some more thought.

Quote from Dygear :It would also seem that none of the mods seem credentialed in the area of programming, or at least not enough to make the call.

I've got an interview for a web and software development role Monday morning, I sure hope they don't get that vibe from me.

More seriously, again only speaking for myself, half the time I really can't be bothered to read all the drivel that I know is going to be posted in such threads and leave them well alone. This is supposed to be a recreational activity for me afterall.
Quote from Bob Smith :More seriously, again only speaking for myself, half the time I really can't be bothered to read all the drivel that I know is going to be posted in such threads and leave them well alone. This is supposed to be a recreational activity for me afterall.

And thats the problem. The "LFS Programmer Forum" has precious little "Programming" or "LFS" discussion now. I'm not even sure I could call it a "Forum", with the lack of non-linear discussion and eventual flaming. That effectively leaves us with nothing (I always wanted to disappear in a puff of seemingly illogical ranting).

I was trying to search for something the other day, and low and behold I couldn't actually find it as all I was digging up was the majority of the "drivel". Now the problem was that I got so frustrated that I just absolutely had to get up and make myself another cup of tea. In the process of returning to my desk I had some food, watched some TV... I digress. I returned 2 days later faced with the same code in front of myself and absolutely no idea what I actually meant to do with it. It was something involving a clever mash up of setups and LFSW, but I still can't remember exactly.

I count 9 requests for applications or configuration help, as of 21:26 (UK time).

If the moderator team deem that this is the appropriate place for requests, then I'm absolutely happy with that decision and I'll just figure out some way of removing them from my view. If they deem that a clean up thread, or even a request thread should exist, then I am also happy with that.

In short, someone make a bloodly decision and set a precedent, as this subforum and unofficial addons seem to have suffered from a major case of MPD (Multiple Personality Disorder), since the transfer from RSC.

This is meant to be a comical rant, with a point. Don't take me too seriously.
Yup, I agree. Someone needs to do something. I don't have a problem at all with the mods or the job they do, but at some point someone needs to decide whether we are supposed to just put up with all the non-topic threads in this forum, or whether something should be done about them. Normally I wouldn't be bothered about this sort of stuff, but I personally feel that this very cool forum is being harmed by the many off-topic topics.

Bob, I've never seen any of your code (at lest, I don't think I have) it was not a dig at you at all.
I've added the new section, because this programmer discussion section should definitely not be spammed up with "can someone make me an insim" threads.

I don't imagine those requests will get many replies, but at least we now have somewhere to move those threads.

I'll close this thread now as the problem is solved.
This thread is closed

(16 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG