The online racing simulator
400 watt PSU enough for C2D + 8800GTS?
I'm planning to upgrade my PC to a C2D and get a better gpu while I'm at it.

I'm planning on a C2D E6750, Asus P5N-E, 2GB PC2-6400 RAM and an 8800GTS 320mb. I'm not entirely sure what rating my PSU is but I THINK it's 400w. I'm thinking that isn't enough, am I right?
#2 - Jakg
A VERY high quality 400w unit might *just* work, but i doubt it

Either way, i wouldn't bother.

How much is the P5N-E?
Expensive about £76, I think I'm gonna go for a cheaper one, I don't need SLI for a start...

Hm, what would you recommend for a PSU? 500, 600?
#4 - Jakg
£76?! You can pick up a P5K for like £80 and that pwns, although a Gigabyte P945 thingy should be cheaper.

I'd look at 580w, although a 550w would be fine.
I have a coolermaster 430watt extreme power with a e6600 and 8800gts, and it runs fine. Cost me like 60 euros I believe
#7 - Jakg
...that doesn't mention watts, though, so be sure to pick up a good quality one, and not some el cheapo ultra power
I had 2 so called creme-dela-creme Levicom ATX-450. Both had malfunctions within the first 3 months. Also used the Coolermaster 430W and runs great all the time. IMO: Yes! 400W is enough.
#9 - Jakg
Harry, you have a 5200 and a 1950 Pro - that's not exactly the same, is it?

I recommend a new PSU simply because chances are it's the generic PSU that came with his case.
A (decent quality) 400W power supply should be enough for that system, unless you happen to have 10 hard drives or something... Buying a much too "powerful" PSU is generally not a good idea since the power supplies have their maximum efficiency at a specific range somewhere between half and full load. So if you buy a 600W PSU and only ever use some 300W from it the efficiency will be less than optimal.

Most important thing is to get a good quality one, not some "600W" Q-Tec :P
No, its not the generic PSU that came with my case, its an Akasa one. I'm still not sure what wattage it is but I've found a similar one (with blue LEDs shining on the fan) that is 400w, hence me thinking it's 400 watts. I'll check it in a few minutes.
#12 - Jakg
If it came with your case i wouldn't trust it unless its 550w+

Case PSU's tend to be shit. Steer clear!

What shop are you looking at buying this from?
I said it isn't the one that came with my case...

I was planning to buy it all from Overclockers UK (www.overclockers.co.uk) but I might get some/all of it from Aria (www.aria.co.uk). Hm, decisions
#14 - Jakg
Hm, the E6750 has a 1333MHz FSB, should my mobo have at least the same? Will there be a big performance difference going with a 1066 mobo?

I think I'll get the StealthXStream one, pricing stuff up on Aria now (hence the mobo question) Thanks for helping
#16 - Jakg
If you go for a 1066 MHz FSB mobo your CPU will be running at 2.13 GHz and your memory bandwidth will be down.

You'll only have 80% of the speed you've paid for.

Don't bother.
Well I have E6600 Clocked 3.0 GHz and 8800GTS running 400W Chieftec (came with case) for 5 months and no problem at all.
Hm, total comes to around £600. I have £500. Dammit.

I suppose I could try get more money out of my parents....
Is the wattage rating of a power supply the input power consumption, or the maximum power consumption of the load?
#20 - Jakg
Maximum Power Consumption of the load

Or at least the actual wattage drawn from the wall is higher than what the PSU is supplying (decent units have about 80% efficiency in this regard iirc). With a decent PSU the max power output is measured under load, with a crappy unit they measure peak (ie very little load) which means when you actually use the thing it has less power.
Quote from Leifde :Hm, total comes to around £600. I have £500. Dammit.

I suppose I could try get more money out of my parents....

IMO £500 is more then enough to create a good system. Just stay away from that Intel and Geforce (crap^^)

Go get a proper AMD, like 6000+ for around £120, a 1950 Pro (still the shit) for around £100, a good mainboard for around £70, 2x1Gigs of ram (800Mhz) around £100 and a HD for £50. That´s all you need imo.
#22 - Jakg
Intel "crap"?

Care to elaborate?

I'm an AMD fanboy, but even i can't dispute that Intel have the crown atm - a 6000 is onyl worth it if you have an AM2 mobo

(oh, and £76 buys you 2x 1 GB sticks of DDR800 Crucial Ballistix sneakily rated for 1000 MHz *evil eyes*)
Intel crap!

I got a P90 years ago. I payed 4.800 DM (€2.300) for it and the processor had a (well known) malfunction. I wrote several letters to Intel but they were not willing to change the CPU. That happend to many people with this processor type. Since that experience: No Intel anymore!
Quote from Crazy Harry :I got a P90 years ago. I payed 4.800 DM (€2.300) for it and the processor had a (well known) malfunction.

Can you mention one at least semi-new CPU that doesn't have any faults?
#25 - Jakg
I'd like to see any AMD CPU keep up with my Xeon X3210 - which i purchased for £119 delivered (albeit used).

(PS - Your time to beat is 18.485 on SuperPi!)

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG