The online racing simulator
Multiplayer games always laggy
(16 posts, started )
Whenever i join a game all the other cars move in a laggy way. they're never smooth and its kinda annoying now i heard it may be to do with the servers settings but ive been on around 4 servers and they're all the same

i have adsl and counterstrike runs lag free but why doesnt this?
How well does LFS run in single player, with AI?
nice and smooth
We can rule out your PC being too slow then.
Quote from the_angry_angel :We can rule out your PC being too slow then.

ive got a video of the laggyness how woud i put it on here?
Press the "post reply" button and you'll see a manage attachments bit under the text area.
#7 - gunja
Hmm... I have to say that I'm suprised. I'm at my summer house now and there is no dsl option here so i'm on modem and i can race more than 15 people without lag. Since you tryed only 4 servers, my guess is that the server ping was high every time. I sometimes race in the midle of the night (Europe) and most servers have high ping for me becouse most active ones are US or Australian and that's the only time when i get some lag issues. Try connecting to servers with under 300ms ping. Should work fine.
How long did you stay on the servers?
Maybe its the skins auto-downloading that's affecting the packets. Once that's done it should be smooth.

EDIT: You're a demo racer... Ugh, I'm stupid.
When I removed my logitech controller drivers it helped for me
Quote from TagForce :How long did you stay on the servers?
Maybe its the skins auto-downloading that's affecting the packets. Once that's done it should be smooth.

EDIT: You're a demo racer... Ugh, I'm stupid.

ages
I wanted to buy lfs for the multiplayer (banger racing sounds fun) but ifs its gonna lag it'll take the fun out
edit- wow n/m.

Turn multiplayer draw down
It's in options/misc
#13 - Jakg
Quote from chin chaw :I wanted to buy lfs for the multiplayer (banger racing sounds fun) but ifs its gonna lag it'll take the fun out

all games can lag, depends on your connection normally
Just a suggestion here when someone is complaining about lag. Post your connection and the pings you get for the server you are seeing lag on. I'll say it again, as I think it is quite funny anymore. I'm on dialup. I've been racing LFS on dialup since I found it back in March of 05. I usually connect to servers around here in the US and pings are 150-220 ms. But I also connect and race on servers in the UK, Germany, Australia, Brazil, and I don't know where else. These servers, if the connection is good, are usually 300-350 ms and I don't see lag. At above a 350 ms ping, I'll definitely see lag and usually get disconnected. Like I said, I'm dialup and rarely see lag, nor do I ever have anyone complain to me that I am lagging for them. And I ask to be sure. Especially if the ping is 300 or more, I'll ask "anyone see me lagging? I'm on dialup." I get many responses like "nope, don't see lag here" and even "Ha ha, very funny, no wait! You are seriously on dialup?" My connection to online is never higher than 45k and I have successfully, but is more difficult staying on a server, connected at even 31k. There for a while over both the Thanksgiving holiday in the States and the Christmas holiday I was racing nightly only connecting at 31k.

What's really good is, besides racing, I like to fly Microsoft Flight Simulator on www.wspilots.com. There I can fly on the server, download files through Download Accellerator with limiting my downloads to 2k/sec. AND surf the forum here and others that I frequent. All at the same time with no disconnections/problems on my good ole 45k dialup. I also have FSNavigator connected to the server as well when I fly online. Seeing all the lag and connection problems I read here, I'm almost afraid to switch to DSL or any other broadband.
#15 - Smax
Doesn't really matter how fast your line is, if you get a bad "hop" between you and the game server it's gonna lag, and if other people got a bad "hop" then you'll see them lagging too.

Evidently the more load on the server the more lag is likely, full ones with people joining and leaving often are gonna perform worse than near empty ones. I get sometimes get lag on a UK <50 ping server that's near full, when someone joins and the server send them the world's supply of skins.

You might be able to improve your game performance slightly by bringing down some of the graphics options such as multiplayer draw distance and level of detail [LOD], you could also try limiting your max FPS.

One other thing to bear in mind is that right now you're only on demo servers, which may well be machines with less available resource, since many if not most rented servers are used by people serious about the game and therefore owners of a full licence.

As far as my online gaming experience goes LFS isn't actually at all bad, I can play on quite distant servers without too many problems because the net code is pretty good. Certainly connecting to a German LFS server usually gives me a smoother ride than if I connect to a German Battlefield 2 server.
Right to start off here. I live in South Africa...
We have one ISP, Telkom.....which most often than not is known as telscum or hellcom...
The service s beyond pathetic, its a joke. I have an ADSL service that is meant to be a 512kb line but even locally i dont get more than 80kb when im lucky...international is the biggest laugh. Any link will start at around the 70kb/s mark and work its way down to easily below 10....sometimes even 5. Now we do complain but there is nothing that gets done seeing as though they are horrendously over priced, partly owned by government who are loving there lives and dont have our concerns at heart.

To get to the topic, i try to race during the day but i get bad lag and disconnections left right and center but at night is my best chance.

I guess these problems would of been fixed as another ISP was introduced a few weeks ago but alas....I STILL LAG!

(16 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG