The online racing simulator
What would be needed to...
(25 posts, started )
get you to drive in a national and on top an international championship? I'm asking out of curiosity and own interest.

Some questions I have here:
1. If there is prizemoney involved, would you pay a little fee for a season?
2. What type of racing would you prefer? Sprints of 30 mins, longer races? open wheel or GT racing? Or both?
3. What prizey would be needed to get you "hot" to definitely taking part in this?
4. What else could you think of?

That's all for now Cheerio and thx.
I would be taking part for the fun of it and nothing else. Prizes are great but mean very little to me as I am not fast enough to really make a chance of getting any

As for the entrance fee, I'd probably be prepared to pay it if it's not too much. To me LFS is, after all, still only a hobby and I don't want to spend boatloads of money on it.

That being said, I probably wouldn't enter any national or international championship for the same reason I'm not entering any leagues (aren't they the same thing as a championship, really? ). I've got other things to do as well and can't guarantee that I'll be able to make it to every race

I'd like to do an "endurance" race, though. Preferably in the GTR's. I'm not talking 24 hours or anything, but a good long race, 90 mins to 120 mins or so.
Nothing would "make" me want to drive in such a championship, but there are a number of things that would make me NOT want to drive.
Car selection for one, entrance fee is a no-no for me too, also, if it's a prize league it tends to bring out the fast drivers, but brings out the bad in some of those drivers, winning at all costs etc etc.
Quote from Vykos69 :
2. What type of racing would you prefer? Sprints of 30 mins, longer races? open wheel or GT racing? Or both?
3. What prizey would be needed to get you "hot" to definitely taking part in this?

1. I wouldn't mind paying a little fee at all. As long as the league is seriously organized.

2. Allthough i didn't drive in the first ESCC season, i really think the "5 laps sprint race" and "30 laps feature race" sounds cool. They both gives different types of racing, as the sprint race naturally will be more intense, you'll loose more on mistakes etc. Too long races are boring afterwards if it's too much of it, but still needed as a part of each race imo.
As for the cars, i'd like to keep it to one class, but it's no huge deal. No rl league involves many different car types today, but it could of course, make the whole league more interesting and pay out to the best overall driver.

3. Prize money ain't that important, but rather that the league collects many and good drivers from all levels. The old days with 80 drivers competing seems difficult to reach now though... Maybeh some prizes could highen the amount of drivers anyway
For those prizes, we should maybe have a different system from what it is today? Prizes for the best teams, runner ups etc, as it seems that people who is around midfield, loose their motivation through a long season
#5 - kompa
1. yes
2. not longer than 1,5h
3. anything related to RL racing if manageable but nothing too big
4. not much, head disordered by teh beerz
1. I wouldn't have any problem with a fee to a body, but your problem in that area is that you need to earn the trust. You could easily walk away with a couple of hundred <local currency> before anyone realised you were ripping them off.
Obviously I'm not saying you'd do that, but nobody really knows. I guess there are probably ways of doing it, where people could check their entry and see how many others had entered, but I don't know how.

2. Longer races, definitely. I think they show the skilled consistent drivers better than a short race where you can win with a lucky corner.
And I prefer the tin tops, but nothing more powerful than LRF class.

3. I'm not really qualified to answer this, since I have no hope of winning anything anyway

4. Try running a couple of free versions first to gauge interest and let people know you're serious about setting up a competition. That'll also give you time to get a website set up and arrange methods of payment that people will trust. Start with low entry, low prize so that there's not as much at stake (for either the drivers or you).
Dajmin, you jus showed me again, that I really have to do this project, as the younger people in here seem to not know the oldschoolers I ran several leagues and different turneys already, and 99% of the prizes up to some PCs been delivered. So I dont really fear that I would run into "mistrust". So I wont run a "free version" first
I don't think there's really big prizes needed for people to take part in a well organised league with high-level racing. The most important issue is to keep the interest throughout the season.
I think one solution for this would be to not only give away prizes at the end of the season, but (also?) per race.
Another solution would be to not just give prizes to the winner or podium places of every race, but also to for example the highest climber (in the race, or in the championship standings), or maybe even a small prize for a random non-podium-finisher of the race... this will stimulate those not fighting for the race wins to keep coming back every race and will raise the league's attraction as a whole.

Edit: to answer the other questions
1) I wouldnt mind paying a small fee for a well-organized league.
2) One sprint and one main race with (top 8 or 10) reversed grids.
3) Prize money.
I agree with Traxxion in all points and addtionally it would need a decent time shedule, considering that most of us still have a life apart from lfs
#10 - Nobo
If the league is well organized for me doesnt need to be prizemoney to keep my interest and therefor no need for an entrance fee in my opinion. But if its top-notch organized, extremely user friendly, easy to get into, a lot of lfs buddies racing there, international and the fee not to high (~5€ for a season), then i wouldn't mind paying a fee.

Personally i prefere a system of an about 10mins sprint race and a longer race (>60 Minutes ; < 80 Minutes) after with the top drivers reversed. 15 Minutes qualifying
There needs to be an international top organized non endurance GTR-League in my opinion.

Doesn't need any prizes just a top organization. I wouldn't get a prize anyway.

Some points i discovered for leagues in the past year which are important for me:
-easy registration/deregistration if you do have a real life its hard to make every race especially in longer seasons +4races
-if its a new car/combo every race i like 14 days racing rhythm due to the reason i mentioned the point above and because i want to start a race well prepared
-easy signup for the league, differs from registration. "signup" for the league, "register" for the race
-a good looking web page with all necessary information (up-to-date) but not to much information that you dont find the important things.
-fast event summary by the admins, including uploading replays, posting the results, stats and championship standings
-easy procedure to submit complaints
-experienced, independant admin and judging team
Quote from Nobo :
-easy registration/deregistration if you do have a real life its hard to make every race especially in longer seasons +4races
-if its a new car/combo every race i like 14 days racing rhythm due to the reason i mentioned the point above and because i want to start a race well prepared
-easy signup for the league, differs from registration. "signup" for the league, "register" for the race
-a good looking web page with all necessary information (up-to-date) but not to much information that you dont find the important things.
-fast event summary by the admins, including uploading replays, posting the results, stats and championship standings
-easy procedure to submit complaints
-experienced, independant admin and judging team

Nice bit of info for league organisers there, I have tried, with the RSSC to do most (if not all) of the above
Entry Fee is fine by me considering your reputation Vykos I would not be worried about the money walking away. IMO this is the next step for league racing.

For me I enjoy the Tintops over the single seaters. I don't mind if someone rubs me when we are side-by-side, rubbin's racin' and with Single Seaters that really isnt possible. The season for me would be driven with 1 car over different tracks, excluding most of the really big open tracks in hopes of getting more racing in, I get bored with long straits. For the actual racing I would like to see multiple short heats with a quali to start and a feature at the end.

Prizes, they are always nice and IMO they push people that bit farther. Sure sometimes people go overboard, but thats what a complaint proceedure is in place for, to prevent these. Exactly what, depends =P
I take it this would be ESL?
4. Easier user interface of the ESL site would be appreciated, I know it's more taylored to FPS stuff.
Otherwise 2 hours training for everyone would be needed
Not for me. No point providing someone else's prize money.
Quote from thisnameistaken :Not for me. No point providing someone else's prize money.

Same here. I'm too slow to win anything so ...
Quote from P1lot :I take it this would be ESL?

No, I'm out of ESL Aminteam (as you can read in my blog, err listen, err see )
So you've just seen the light

Sounds like the same "issues" that were present in the folding of ESL UK LFS events.....
Quote from Vykos69 :

Yes I would pay a small fee to enter a proffessionaly organised league. I cant believe that other big LFS leagues have'nt done this before. I mean there are basic costs involved for any organised racing so why not in LFS.

I would vote for sprint races in the main but a few longer races would'nt hurt as it would benefit the more consistent drivers.

Prizes dont have to be anything major just useful things like LFS mugs or T-shirts /mouse. Actualy a small plaque or trophy that you could stick/put on your tower would be nice.

Marshalling these events would have to be harsh but fair (independent panel) to prevent any foul play, with clear rules for all aspects of the racing. Mature experienced racers only @ the organizers discretion.
I wouldnt mind paying for a good league...

It 1) gets rid of wreckers/idiots ... they wont pay to do their thing and 2) provides a more mature atmosphere overall.

I've raced in paid leagues in other games (namely nr2003) ... no prizes (other than small things...nowhere near what the total entries come to) but it did provide a good server, consistent -enforced- rules.

One thing you should do for the league, as it was done in the one I raced in for nr2003, is require everyone have teamspeak or the like. No talking during races is allowed. However, admins can talk... This way, drivers can hide the chat windows, and admins can still give warnings, etc...not to mention people seemed to take warnings more seriously when they were verbal.

1 thing I don't think any league has done, is like corner marshals. I think it would be great if you have people spectating in the shift-u view, 4 or 5 of them per race, acting as corner marshals at various places on the track. You would also be kinda the "spotter" for wrecks. IE, let people know there is a wreck in t1, that there is a stopped car on the inside...and tell the stopped car to stay put, untill you clear them... I would love to do that, I spend alot of time spectating races anyways, I love to watch them as much as drive them.

I would pay for that... Hell, i would pay to spectate that as a marshall, just to see what kind of racing quality we could get.
i'd never take part in such a league since these always attract all those fast guys and i'll never beat them.

anyway, what i'd ABSOLUTELY LOVE to see would be something like the formula one of LFS: an international league with the BF1, entry fee, every race broadcasted for free via the web that should attract the best LFS drivers and teams from around the world.
there should be realistic rules to make the racing more interesting and serious (like: no constant shift+p pitting during qualification, cars should be forced to enter the pits by actually driving there. or: no simple shift+p or spectating during the race either, cars should drive into the pits to give up or if they get stuck/are demolished there should be safety-car like in SHAC-07 and the wreck should be taken care of by a service car.)
#21 - Gunn
Quote from Vykos69 :get you to drive in a national and on top an international championship? I'm asking out of curiosity and own interest.

1. Yes I think a small fee would be acceptable in this case.
2. Both would be great.
3. Useful prizes, not some obscure piece of hardware or device that would only suit some people. Something that almost anyone would find useful or interesting.
4. A real trophy would be cool, if it could be shipped safely and at not at too high a cost.
Quote from Gunn :
3. Useful prizes, not some obscure piece of hardware or device that would only suit some people. Something that almost anyone would find useful or interesting.

How useful would be.... money?
Quote from Vykos69 :

1. I would, if the race was broadcasted.
2. 25 - 30 minute sprints in any GT/Touringcar No open wheelers for me.
3. Honor and glory would be enough.
4. Online deidcated judges and a clear set of rules.
#24 - Gunn
Quote from Vykos69 :How useful would be.... money?

Yep, money is always useful, though there may be some laws attached to giving money as a prize in some countries or territories.
Quote from Vykos69 :get you to drive in a national and on top an international championship? I'm asking out of curiosity and own interest.

1: I'm not really racing for prizes, i'm anyway not fast enough. When i raced in your Racing Challenge, the prizes were nevertheless interesting and encouraging, but it was in no relevance to the great fun we had to race in a so professional and international environment in the finals. And i wouldn't like to pay, at least if it's for organising costs. Paying top drivers salary isn't my cup
2: I prefer open wheel, cause i like the way of racing. GTR races are a bit body contact type, which i don't like much. Had good races with GTR's too tho.
For the length, i prefer endurance more, it matches my style
3: Racing Challenge prizes were ok, even a bit too prizey at the top positions
4: For me a professional look is very important, and a new type of
racing too. Mixed class is also a good way to make things more attractive

Edit, just read the text above me, +1 for broadcast

Hope i could help

(25 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG