The online racing simulator
WRs never to be broken again?
(35 posts, started )
Quote from tristancliffe :Partly for fun.
Partly for amusement
Partly to improve my skill behind a wheel, so that if my clutch did fail I could get home, or to the end of the race.

I don't get what you're referring to about clutchless shifts not being necessary if I already know the rpm? I have a big rpm gauge - what is there not to know?

Right, wouldn't it be faster to just use the clutch and go through the gears that way?

I didn't mean they weren't necessary what i meant was, unless you knew pretty well the RPM/roadspeed necessary for each gear, your shifts would be very slow because you would have to ease it in and out of every gear.
Quote from ans7812 :I didn't mean they weren't necessary what i meant was, unless you knew pretty well the RPM/roadspeed necessary for each gear, your shifts would be very slow because you would have to ease it in and out of every gear.

not really ... its more a matter of how quickly the rpms drop/rise on the engine youre driving
you just apply a little pressure and when the speeds match you feel that its the right time to push it into gear ... on most cars ive driven it takes ages for the revs to drop though making clutchless upshits a lot slower
in contrast downshifts arent any slower than if youd use the clutch ... its just that theyre mostly hit and miss
My real life car has a 9lb flywheel, and even with that huge reduction in rotating mass, it's STILL faster to shift with a clutch than to shift without. Along with that, my engine management allows me to just jam the gas pedal and the clutch. A clutch switch tells the ECU to limit the revs to 5500RPM (fuel cut is 6800, fyi), and it lets me shift without lifting, thus getting back on the gas that much faster. No lift, no lag, no lost boost.
Quote from Shotglass :not really ... its more a matter of how quickly the rpms drop/rise on the engine youre driving
you just apply a little pressure and when the speeds match you feel that its the right time to push it into gear ... on most cars ive driven it takes ages for the revs to drop though making clutchless upshits a lot slower
in contrast downshifts arent any slower than if youd use the clutch ... its just that theyre mostly hit and miss

right, If i understand correctly, speed is not a major concern when clutchless shifting. In other words, you don't clutchless shift to lose time?

But then again, i've seen videos of racers shifting without using the clutch pedal. Since they are obviously in a race, there must be some advantage to this technique. What i gather from your info and my own in-car tests is that clutchless shifting in road cars, at least, are slower than shifting normally.
It seems strange to me that most (if not all) of the WRs have been set with mouse and keyboard
I think that having more realism is going to be awesome. I have to admit that I don't really miss brake fade so much though
Umm very few people use mouse and keyboard, and very few WRs are set using mouse or keyboard.
Quote from ans7812 :right, If i understand correctly, speed is not a major concern when clutchless shifting. In other words, you don't clutchless shift to lose time?

But then again, i've seen videos of racers shifting without using the clutch pedal. Since they are obviously in a race, there must be some advantage to this technique. What i gather from your info and my own in-car tests is that clutchless shifting in road cars, at least, are slower than shifting normally.

gearboxes in race cars arent synched
so while a shopping trolleys gaerbox will prevent you from engaging a gear before the revs more or less match you can happily throw in a gear without bothering too much about revmatching on a racing box
Quote from shiny_red_cobra :Umm very few people use mouse and keyboard, and very few WRs are set using mouse or keyboard.

Umm kay.
-
(deggis) DELETED by deggis
As said, it's because of syncros. A road car is slow to clutchless shift, as the syncros takes ages to allow engagement. On a dog ring racing 'box you just flick between the gears when the rpms are roughly close.

You have a 9lb flywheel and don't know basic things about gearboxes? I think you'd be MUCH better off buying a standard car and taking up flower arranging...
Quote from tristancliffe :You have a 9lb flywheel and don't know basic things about gearboxes? I think you'd be MUCH better off buying a standard car and taking up flower arranging...

This was a little uncalled for? Seeing as how my father owns a Landscape Designing business, i take offense to your remark. I asked a simple question in a polite manner and that is how you respond?

WRs never to be broken again?
(35 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG