A few realism fixes
(26 posts, started )
A few realism fixes
Here's a few things that need to be fixed that will improve realism:
- Engine blows up in smoke when rev too high for a long time
- When a wall is hit at high speed, no ridiculous flipping
- Stall when stopped without Neutral or clutch
- More realistic ignition sound
- Realistic interior turn signals (e.g two green arrows that tick instead of 1 yellow dot)

And these ones isnt a must have, but it would be pretty cool:

- Uprgadable parts for performance
- A "stereo" where you start with a crappy head unit with shitty speakers and you can upgrade to a good head unit with good speakers and some subs (It plays your ogg files) and other players on Multiplayer can hear your music coming from your car muffled
- The ability to play CD's in game.

I know what happens on this forum, PLEASE don't start flaming me and saying things like well its only a game and if you don't like it don't play it because that's NOT what I'm saying, I am just making a suggestion.
For the first bit:

It's all been suggested 100 times, except for the turn signals, and those things are no doubt in the works, especially the collisions and stalling. But yes, good suggestion.

As for the second bit:

I think you're lucky that Tristan is probably sleeping!
yes because we all turn our cars off and on and use turn signals all the time
The ignition sound is a sample that you can replace already.
If by flipping you mean the elastic barrier launches, that's possibly being worked on for the next patches. If you mean the very high speed recoils from permanent concrete walls, it isn't the physics but the simplified damage mapping. The cars' frames, bodywork, and the rest of their anatomy aren't modeled yet. If they were, crashes would absorb a lot more energy.. depending on the car.
Quote from TurboRacer35 :Here's a few things that need to be fixed that will improve realism:
- Engine blows up in smoke when rev too high for a long time
- When a wall is hit at high speed, no ridiculous flipping
- Stall when stopped without Neutral or clutch
- More realistic ignition sound
- Realistic interior turn signals (e.g two green arrows that tick instead of 1 yellow dot)

And these ones isnt a must have, but it would be pretty cool:

- A "stereo" where you start with a crappy head unit with shitty speakers and you can upgrade to a good head unit with good speakers and some subs (It plays your ogg files) and other players on Multiplayer can hear your music coming from your car muffled

I know what happens on this forum...[snip]

Then you should already have found the search function and the "suggested improvements log" sticky...proper clutch modelling, realistic collisions, engine damage and parts upgrades/tuning have been discussed repeatedly. There's been more than one thread about custom in-game music too (most people seem to think that a player like winamp does just fine :shrug. Noone's suggested upgrading stereos yet afaik, but as this is a racing game and not a "pimp my XRT" sim () I don't see that idea being very popular. I'm also not sure the one guy who does the graphics (Eric) could be arsed making a whole bunch of different stereo bits

Ignition sound, though ... I don't actually know what the existing one sounds like tbh - I've never turned my car off and then on again. Well, there's a project for my Saturday arvo
Here's another one: Part conditon, the longer the part is used without being replaced it deteriorates after time? Eg tranny gears, belts, batteries
Quote from TurboRacer35 :Here's another one: Part conditon, the longer the part is used without being replaced it deteriorates after time? Eg tranny gears, belts, batteries

It is so unrealistic to be able to just upgrade that stuff. It takes alot of time to make modifications to real cars. I went to my friends' house (they are twins), and helped them take the engine out of their Grand Prix so we can put the non-broken one in. I was there for 8 hours, and we haven't gotten the engine out yet. We only got the hood and alternator off, and drained the fluids in 5 hours, before their dad (who is a mechanic, btw) came home.
Quote from wheel4hummer :It is so unrealistic to be able to just upgrade that stuff. It takes alot of time to make modifications to real cars. I went to my friends' house (they are twins), and helped them take the engine out of their Grand Prix so we can put the non-broken one in. I was there for 8 hours, and we haven't gotten the engine out yet. We only got the hood and alternator off, and drained the fluids in 5 hours, before their dad (who is a mechanic, btw) came home.

Your damn slow then. Me and my bro in law were able to change oil and the oil filter in 30 minutes on a Mazda Tribute..which BTW has an almost impossible to reach fuelfilter.
It does take a long time to drain the fluids seen it countless time, ir brake fluid takes ages,gearbox oil, engline oil takes a mechanic i know 2hours to do it.
Quote from GruntOfAction :Your damn slow then. Me and my bro in law were able to change oil and the oil filter in 30 minutes on a Mazda Tribute..which BTW has an almost impossible to reach fuelfilter.

No, you are slow. I have a Mazda Tribute and since all you have to do is reach under to get to both the plug and the oil filter, it is a 10 minute job.

What does the fuel filter have to do with changing the oil? If you meant oil filter, the filter on my Tribute was by far, the easiest oil filter I ever had to change. It's directly behind the radiator going from underneath in a huge open spot.

And what does the speed of doing an oil change have to do with pulling an engine? I think it's a much larger job pulling the engine than simply changing the oil.
Ah Mike... You just got sucked into a silly conversation my friend!
Quote from GruntOfAction :Your damn slow then. Me and my bro in law were able to change oil and the oil filter in 30 minutes on a Mazda Tribute..which BTW has an almost impossible to reach fuelfilter.

Yes, but we were draining the oil away from where we were working on the car, so that we didn't have to lay down in spilled oil or coolant. And, it is FWD and has a v6, so there is nearly no room to work in the engine compartment, even with the hood off. We had to push the car backwards about 15 feet, and then into where we are taking out the engine. I was steering and braking, while they were pushing the car. It is so hard to steer at low speeds with manual steering.

EDIT: And, we had a few problems draining the coolant from the hose that connects to the radiator. I suggested that we drain it from the hose that connects to the water pump, which we did. We got coolant everywhere, though. Most of the time we were just sitting there wondering how the hell we were going to do everything.
Quote from TurboRacer35 :

- No, search for reasons why.
- Edit your .dds. I dont want to hear everyones crappy music online.
- Play Windows Media Player in the background, or buy a Hi-Fi

Should be able to take out an engine and replace it with a similar item in about a day (8 hour day) with two people. I drain the coolant, but I don't bother with the oil, unless it has an oil cooler, in which case I drain the hoses into a can when I break the seal.
Quote from tristancliffe :Should be able to take out an engine and replace it with a similar item in about a day (8 hour day) with two people. I drain the coolant, but I don't bother with the oil, unless it has an oil cooler, in which case I drain the hoses into a can when I break the seal.

Well, like I said, we didn't know what we were doing until their dad (who is a mechanic) came home from work. After he came home, he only worked on it for 3 hours, and then we decided to finish it next afternoon (about 3-4 hours from now)

That's the only idea that's good and hasn't been mentioned yet.
Quote from tristancliffe :Should be able to take out an engine and replace it with a similar item in about a day (8 hour day) with two people.

depends a log on the particular case and what youre doing
on a moderately modern car id calculate ~half of that just to get all the cables out

Blimey that's new material congratulations :elefant::drink::bannana_g

Quote from tristancliffe :Should be able to take out an engine and replace it with a similar item in about a day (8 hour day) with two people. I drain the coolant, but I don't bother with the oil, unless it has an oil cooler, in which case I drain the hoses into a can when I break the seal.

Quote from Shotglass :depends a log on the particular case and what youre doing
on a moderately modern car id calculate ~half of that just to get all the cables out

Best time I've seen is 50 minutes in a GT car, preformed in a workshop by two guys who weren't even under stress, although they did know every last nut and bolt on the engines they were dealing with and have an engine ready to go in.
Lol I love this (off)topic as I just came home from my friends garage, doing a engine swap. Just lol.

Anyway, if you have done it a couple of times and you do research on the chassis you're working on, it shouldn't take more then 8 hours with the largers and dificult engines.
We are working on another MKII VW golf GTI to vr6/g60 swaps (this is the 4th already so it's become routine)
Yesterday afternoon we had a case of heineken and took out the engine in 2 hours (1 hour to drain everything included). It's a small engine and very easy to take out.
Then we made space and welded support for the larger vr6 and called it a day around 9:30 pm (about 5.5 hours for everything including keeping the meat on the grill under control and tend to the beer).
This morning I ran the wiring harness while he prepped everything (new tranny means new shift rods, bushings, dampers, etc. Popped in the new engine in about 30 mins and hooked everything up in another hour and some change.
Now what takes really long is getting everything finetuned to perfection and making sure everything is working fine and hooked up (fans, pumps, wiring, etc)

Tomorrow we have to brake it in a bit and change the suspension as the new larger vr6 is quite a bit heavier then the stock 1.8 four banger.

All in all it's 2 days for a full conversion with everything taken care of.
This is also a commercial job so we have to make sure everything works before we give it back to the customer. When we did our track car, you trow it in and fix things as you go. (although that was the first thing we ever did so we had no idea what needed to be done except from what we learned from the interweb . And we did a lot more then just a vr6 swap)

So if it takes you 8 hours to open the hood and drain some fluid, you might want to look for another hobby as engine/chassis work doesn't seem your cup of tea.
Quote from ajp71 :Best time I've seen is 50 minutes in a GT car, preformed in a workshop by two guys who weren't even under stress, although they did know every last nut and bolt on the engines they were dealing with and have an engine ready to go in.

by gt i suspect you mean a race car without any bits that might make your day just that special bit more miserable ?
and was it the same engine

i do remeber rather vividly when a friend had the engine of his car swapped with basically exactly the same one except for that the new one had a cat
a guy who pretty much does nothing else but work on those exact cars calculated 6-8h for the swap about half of that just to replace the wiring harness with the new cat one
admitedly i dunno if harnesses are generally that bad or if its just a mercedes thing
Quote from Shotglass :by gt i suspect you mean a race car without any bits that might make your day just that special bit more miserable ?
and was it the same engine

The engines were identical, except for one tiny detail, the engine in the car had a huge hole in the block

Being racing engines they had very few auxiliary systems and everything was redesigned to be taken apart and accessed easily. It was really just a case of draining the fluids unplugging the ECU (which was actually attached and associated to the car not the engine as multiple cars could use the engine but had different exhausts), disconnecting the oil and fuel pipes then unbolting and lifting the engine out and popping the new one in. The party trick really was that the new engine could go straight in with only one electrical connection to make.

Quote :
admitedly i dunno if harnesses are generally that bad or if its just a mercedes thing

A Mini doesn't actually have many electrical items on it but it can still take a good hour to reconnect a wiring loom, just fiddling about trying to get it through the seemingly impossible small gap in the bulk head then there's just so much to connect and absolutely none of it is in a convenient place. Of course it takes significantly longer if you didn't bother to mark every wire before you took it off. Electrics can be a real bummer to sort out mostly because you can get so lost so easily, even on the simplest little moped engine you can waste a lot of time working out what goes where, modern cars do make it a simpler process by bundling everything into unique click together connections but it still takes a lot longer than most people think.
This has to do with LFS?
nope

A few realism fixes
(26 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG