The online racing simulator
new widescreen monitor big FPS drop?
(28 posts, started )
I have recently purchased an ex display 20in wide TFT.
Native res is 1680 x 1050. I used to run a CRT @ 1280 & get 92fps running a Core duo & 7600gt.
After installing my new monitor & testing it out with LFS in all its widescreen glory I find that its only managing a rather feeble 60fps.

Why has it dropped so much?
How can i increase my FPS?

p.s.- how do i alter message text size, its now bigger & it bugs me.
It's probably because the resolution is much larger.

As far as text, do you mean on the internet?
If so, hold ctrl and move your mouse wheel in or out.
#3 - Bean0
60fps solid ?

Vsync.
#4 - Jakg
Text Size is in Options>Misc iirc

Chances are you had a 1280*1024 monitor - with your new monitor you have 35% more pixels to render, thus the drop in FPS.

"feeble" 60 fps is stupid, as 90% of the TFT's have a 60 Hz refresh rate anyway - any more is pretty pointless.
lol... wrong title:

"new widescreen monitor no percievable FPS drop?"
ok i can understand that I am rendering more pixels but i just never expected so much of an FPS hit. How do i get more resolution options windows only gives me two? & so does LFS?

As for not noticeable. It is very noticeable whilst driving, & that is the reason for the concern.
Trust me, if you're really getting 60fps constantly, than it there is no way it could be that bad.

And the bad news, if your eyes don't like the 60fps refresh rate of an lcd, then your only option is to go back to your crt.
Quote from Bean0 :60fps solid ?

Vsync.

Is Vsynch on or off in your Graphics (I think this is where it is) options menu? I scratched my head over this too after I got my WS 22", but after turning off Vsynch I jumped to like 75 at the back of a full grid.

But like Jakg said if it is over the monitor refresh rate it doesn't that big of a difference.
Quote from Jakg :Text Size is in Options>Misc iirc

iirc? i had a look in options misc & cant find it
Quote from anttt69 :iirc? i had a look in options misc & cant find it

IIRC - If I remember/recall correctly.

He didn't

It's in Options > Display
Thanks
I tweaked vsync & FPS went back to 90 but as you say its makes no difference as refresh is 60 so thats that.
It looks better with vsync on me thinks.
I still am at a loss to understand what is trying to be achieved here.

An LCD can "only" display 60 frames per second, no more. If you are already getting all 60 FPS from your c2d and 7600gt, than getting more than 60FPS will give you No Change At All.

My guess is there is some pyschological effect playing on you now that you have a "feeble" 60fps.

Anyway, best of luck getting your vSync turned off!
Quote from anttt69 :Thanks
I tweaked vsync & FPS went back to 90 but as you say its makes no difference as refresh is 60 so thats that.
It looks better with vsync on me thinks.

Certainly is better with vsync on, you will notice a tearing effect on the screen without it.

You should also enable triple-buffering in your GFX card options.
This prevents vsync from capping at 30fps if the frame rate drops a little below 60.
Quote from Bean0 :Certainly is better with vsync on, you will notice a tearing effect on the screen without it.

You should also enable triple-buffering in your GFX card options.
This prevents vsync from capping at 30fps if the frame rate drops a little below 60.

so looking at something that happened as much as 3 frames back is better than a little tearing ?
Quote from Shotglass :so looking at something that happened as much as 3 frames back is better than a little tearing ?

Not sure what you mean.
Quote from Bean0 :Not sure what you mean.

a triple buffer is just what the name implies ... 3 bufffers between the gpu and the monitor delaying the image you see
Quote from Shotglass :a triple buffer is just what the name implies ... 3 bufffers between the gpu and the monitor delaying the image you see

Without triple buffering, if the fps drops below 60 with vsync turned on, then it gets capped at 30fps. This is very noticeable in game and quite offputting.

I would prefer to be 3 frames behind than have the frame rate jumping between 60 and 30 fps. Its about the equivalent of adding about 16ms to your latency, which is bugger all really.

Vsync prevents the tearing, with or without triple buffering.
Quote from Bean0 :Vsync prevents the tearing, with or without triple buffering.

and as you pointed out vsynch without triple buffering is not an option

thus the alternatives are no vsynch a little tearing but always the most recently rendered frame on screen (even if only in part) or added delay
i'll never understand why people complain about buying bigger monitors and then seeing a drop in their FPS at a higher resolution. the two kind of go hand in hand.
the only thing thats limiting my FPS is the monitors refresh rate.
I should have forked out some extra cash & got a 75hz monitor instead. :eek:
Quote from anttt69 :the only thing thats limiting my FPS is the monitors refresh rate.
I should have forked out some extra cash & got a 75hz monitor instead. :eek:

Won't help as (as far I know) the DVI port is limited to 60 Hz.

EDIT: Huge BS warning! I might have been on mushrooms but unless someone quotes the correct answer (Wikipedia does not count) I'm sticking to my story.

EDIT2: Story unstuck. I was on mushrooms.
not true, my LCDs do 75 mhz. when I get home i'll try to remember and post a screenshot to prove you wrong.
Quote from UncleBenny :i'll never understand why people complain about buying bigger monitors and then seeing a drop in their FPS at a higher resolution. the two kind of go hand in hand.

Wasn't the case with CRTs, scaling to a lower resolution was never a problem.

Quote from UncleBenny :not true, my LCDs do 75 mhz. when I get home i'll try to remember and post a screenshot to prove you wrong.

You mean Hz, not MHz. If an LCD panel could switch at 75 MHz, you'd never have to worry about the refresh rate limiting your framerate.
Quote from Forbin :You mean Hz, not MHz. If an LCD panel could switch at 75 MHz, you'd never have to worry about the refresh rate limiting your framerate.

mine is just that good
Is a bigger monitor really worth it? Do those extra pixels mean you can see a lot more? I do feel rather restricted by my 19" screen which sometimes looks quite small, but wouldn't a bigger one just enlarge the picture a bit?

(28 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG