Central Racing League
(40 posts, started )

Poll : Worth it, or not?

Yes - Definatly!
Possible - Explain reasons for in forum please
No - Rather stick to CD and CTRA
Central Racing League
Okay, here's what I propose.

As I'm sure some of you know, I am in the process of making the requested mod "RaceManager". Once I have completed that - I've thought about another mod, that I'm sure many people will be pretty excited about.

Here's the idea.

Have a central databaes (hosted by myself) with a range of API calls that the CentralRacingLeague (CRL from now on) gets from the database server. A few of the API calls would be to get the players stats when they join the server, update the database when they leave and such.

Now, the idea would be - people win races, get points, upgrade their licence (much like CTRA and CD). Possibility of running more than one server with licence point requirement values (manageable via the config file). Servers would also have the ability to enable features like the rolling start/track management/and more.

There is a twist, the idea of the centralised database is because anybody will be able to host one of these league servers with their own custom settings. If they run the CRL app, it will connect to the central database, meaning the racers licence/points go from one server to another server.

There would be a registration for the host, that could be blocked/allowed depending if they "break admin rules" or what-have-ya.

Also, there would be a central ban list - any ban would automatically upload the replay of that race, any ban without proof of replay would NOT get added to the central ban list.

There would also be a central website where it shows what servers are active, what track, who's in, and such.

Basically, I would like to think what others think about this, and if they think that it would get used. I think it could become a very nice set of servers, run by several different admins - which could bring the community a little closer together.
+1
I voted ''Possible - Explain reasons for in forum please''.
That is saying enough
#4 - vane
you make no sense bose yeah great idea, but the ban thing doesn't sound very good, banned from one, banned from the others. if it was like first defiance, only have it for like one day, then second, two days etc, and make that reduce their license.

also maybe if you have enough time/recourses make a drift bit for it
Here is how the ban system would work.

Server admin bans you from a server.
Global database alerted of this.
Racer can go on all other CRL servers, without any issue.
CRL admin checks the replay, to see if its worthy of a temp global ban
CRL admins decision spanned accross all servers.
Is this anything at all like Race2Play?
Quote from danowat :Is this anything at all like Race2Play?

whats Race2Play?

*edit*

Its a league, where you get licence points, for winning. Basically. But, it wont be on just the one server - servers can be run by anybody that has a LFS Dedi server application. All they would have to do is load the InSim Application, and the application would do the rest! Servers can have a licence requirement (500 points minimum or something like that).
#8 - vane
don't forget a drift bit :P
http://www.race2play.com/front/second_front

It's a "front end" for leagues, makes it easy for people to join leagues and easy for people to organise them.

I have used it for RACE, and I think LFS could benifit from something similar
Can you expand on the term "clanbase"? it's not one I am familiar with
Quote from danowat :Can you expand on the term "clanbase"? it's not one I am familiar with

You register, join a league.

Arrange an event. You then, have a fight on a server with another clan/team. Then input the results into the website. It then gives you points/subtract points.

This is for first person shooters.
Hmmm........sorta I guess, it's just a central, focal point for leagues, people arrange leagues there, people go there to sign up for leagues (easily) and everything is sorted out, points, positions etc etc.

As it is, other than the leagues forum, we have no central, focal point for LFS leagues, and I personally think that there should be.
this upcoming insim app will only be so that you can get onto the next server! .

Although, maybe a league system should be my next venture.

Just a website, without insim or something?
It will probably require something to parse the results, how that would be done, I have no idea, and weather it would require some insim device on each server using the system again, I don't know.
But yeah, a central league website system, along the lines of R2P, but much better
I agree with DanoWat here whole heartedly
Would it not be better to join forces with CTRA and maybe also CD to get the best of all. Dont think we need all these different systems.
I think these current systems (CTRA & CD) are unique enough to co-exist with anything else.
I guess I am suggesting something a little different to what the OP had in mind, and probably going a little off topic.
But, bottomline, making and organising leagues is a little bit hit and miss, messy and more time consuming than it needs to be ATM, with a little bit of thought and assitance from the community, I am sure we can "tidy" it up a bit.
well, regardless, the system will need a central db.

what I am going to do, is make two sets of it. kinda. an extra option.

league_race. (yes/no).

And it would ask for a league_race ID number .

Or something.

But to start with, it will just be an earn lience points system. with future developments.
Great idea Krammeh!!
I have decided to go ahead with this!

bought a domain, shall start coding either tonight, or tomorrow!
#22 - Jakg
Quote from danowat :I think these current systems (CTRA & CD) are unique enough to co-exist with anything else.

I'd like to point out here that the CTRA isn't finished yet. Under pressure not to loose all the racers the CTRA was opened with some of it's features left uncoded, which may have a bearing on the viability of another InSim server licensing system.
Who said it was?, not sure why you felt the need to post that statement?
#24 - SamH
Well.. we weren't worried about losing racers, since the difference between old and new was so significant. We were worried that if we didn't draw a line somewhere, we'd never get the bloody thing finished. We picked the features we felt were essential, and deployed those as Phase 1.

An events system that sounds similar to the thing you're describing, Krammeh, is the main/central portion of Phase 2 of the CTRA. It's the big thing that we left out of Phase 1, so we could get back to some good ole racing.

On the global bans thing, it's unattractive to me and when it was tendered while I was devising the Wrecker Barricade, I think it was the most important difference between the Barricade and the other suggestions put forward at the time. Server admins tend to like to retain control over who enters and who doesn't. A central database of *information* would be more helpful. However, the Barricade has become less and less used to the point now where it's just not been viable to maintain it.

This is actually good news.. it means that the player "field" is cleaner than it ever was. There are a few, rare exceptions, but by and large there's been a colossal shift in the mentality of LFSers over the last year. Where once there was a "lombard" or "win at any price" mentality, today the most important thing is that you are a CLEAN racer. People, these days, are more bothered about their "yellow:lap" stats than their "win:race" ratio. From a server admin's perspective, every LFSer smells of roses these days
Ahhh......now I get it

Central Racing League
(40 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG