The online racing simulator
Why destroying skins with real car brands?
(26 posts, started )
#1 - Rolle
Hello!

I enjoy seeing all these great skins all of you create, and I try to
do a few as well....

But there is one thing that I wonder a little,
why does some skinners put (example) Honda logos on the FXO
or Porsche on the FZ50?
Not to mention all these F1-skins on the BF1...
The BF1 is a BMW and shouldn't be anything else

I know the cars look similar but a skin with a real carbrand
look ridiculous and is of no interest for me.

but anyway, do what you like, it's just my point of view
I dislike putting fake parts on the cars in general, but branding an FXO with BMW of Honda isn't really that bad.

It's bad when you put a grill from an actual car ontop of your skin and fake lights, that's bad.

Also I can't say I dislike F1 designs being skinned to the BF1. It may be a BMW Sauber, but it's the only F1 car in the game so why not crisp it up with another car design to ease the pain of seeing 32 similar BF1 cars on the start grid?
-
(Thunderhead) DELETED by Thunderhead
Quote from Rolle :Hello!

I enjoy seeing all these great skins all of you create, and I try to
do a few as well....

But there is one thing that I wonder a little,
why does some skinners put (example) Honda logos on the FXO
or Porsche on the FZ50?
Not to mention all these F1-skins on the BF1...
The BF1 is a BMW and shouldn't be anything else

I know the cars look similar but a skin with a real carbrand
look ridiculous and is of no interest for me.

but anyway, do what you like, it's just my point of view

And why shouldn't I place ANY GODDAMNED LOGO ON ANY CAR FROM LFS I WANT?!

Sure,fake grills and vents are stupid....but, why should I limit myself,and my imagination when skinning?

And besides,LFS cars are fantasy cars- someone will see a Fiat,someone a Honda-why shouldn't they put logo of their favorite car on a LFS car? Because it is "Ridiculous"? LMAO.

IMO,your point of view is quite moot.

And now exuse me,I'm off to put a Porsche logo on a FZR.
Personally speaking, I hate seeing real brands (aside from the few already in the game) on skins as well.

To each their own.
#5 - CSU1
Uhh... what are.. uh.. you talking about CSU1? I didn't make that mistake. :P
Quote from daloonie :It's bad when you put a grill from an actual car ontop of your skin and fake lights, that's bad.

Also I can't say I dislike F1 designs being skinned to the BF1. It may be a BMW Sauber, but it's the only F1 car in the game so why not crisp it up with another car design to ease the pain of seeing 32 similar BF1 cars on the start grid?

I think the first comment about the fake grills in the skins are what the OP is eluding to. They look absolutely ridiculous. But I don't have a problem with Ferrari or Porsche emblems on the FZ or Super7 on the LX since they are so similar. We don't have actual emblems for the cars that they are in their (got it right ) fictional hybrid form.

But there are some very high quality hoodvents, brake vents, etc that have been done in photoshop by some talented people that can be added without destroying the look as long as it doesn't go overboard. Things like vents, simple car emblems, fuel caps, side mouldings, graphics from real car counterparts such as the Carrera 4 (didn't get that one right I think :shrug on the FZ can add to the look of the car if done in moderation.

As for the F1 skins, why would you want an entire grid of the same skin? Don't all F1 cars look the same? I don't know since I don't follow, but they all look the same to me as far as the body modeling IRL.
i make a lot of replica skins, so i usually have to put every decal on the car no matter what my preference is.

but when i make skins for myself, i too tend to stay away from decals of companies, and companies directly related to, real car & part manufacturers (ie. Nissan & Nismo, Honda & Mugen, etc.) and some of the time, tire manufacturers (ie. Bridgestone etc.).

i personally feel that before you make a skin, you should decide that you want to it be completely fictional (using things from the LFS world only or things you've made yourself) or completely "realistic" (using whatever brands you like, but staying with a "main manufacturer" feel). i'm not a big fan of crossing over both.
#9 - Rolle
about the BF1

I don't mind at all if anyone paint the BF1 in any color they like.

Do it Ferrarired or that new HondaEarth or whatever but
please don't put the Ferrari & Hondo-logo in it

There are some very talented skinners here that does a great job
with fictional skins, some are really great
Quote from mrodgers :I think the first comment about the fake grills in the skins are what the OP is eluding to. They look absolutely ridiculous. But I don't have a problem with Ferrari or Porsche emblems on the FZ or Super7 on the LX since they are so similar. We don't have actual emblems for the cars that they are in their (got it right ) fictional hybrid form.

But there are some very high quality hoodvents, brake vents, etc that have been done in photoshop by some talented people that can be added without destroying the look as long as it doesn't go overboard. Things like vents, simple car emblems, fuel caps, side mouldings, graphics from real car counterparts such as the Carrera 4 (didn't get that one right I think :shrug on the FZ can add to the look of the car if done in moderation.

As for the F1 skins, why would you want an entire grid of the same skin? Don't all F1 cars look the same? I don't know since I don't follow, but they all look the same to me as far as the body modeling IRL.

Agreed.

Quote from Rolle :Do it Ferrarired or that new HondaEarth or whatever but
please don't put the Ferrari & Hondo-logo in it

And who the hell are you to tell anyone that,I wonder? :rolleyes: Why shouldn't I for example,make a Volvo skin for BF1? Will the world collapse then,maybe? Will Satan come out for a party? Oh no! Armageddon wil come and GWB will grow a brain! Sheesh.....
I don't make real skins, but I do make my own with real logos on.

But most of the time I only use the logos of brands I actually use (not just PC-related), meaning that in theory they could be sponsors

That reminds me, I really need to edit my Weebl & Bob skins since the URL has changed...
@Thunderhead

I think you should know who I am then....

It's up to anyone that skins to do what they want of course,
I just express my opinion.

I would find it silly to put a Volvo-logo on a BMW F1 car
Quote from Rolle :@Thunderhead
I think you should know who I am then....

I know already: Some weird Swedish dude.

Quote from Rolle : It's up to anyone that skins to do what they want of course,
I just express my opinion.

I would find it silly to put a Volvo-logo on a BMW F1 car

Seeing that the BF1 is the only car in LFS,and if I like some other F1 team,why should I not recreate its livery completely? I mean,if you're doing a replica,do it completely,or you are doing a piss poor job. Or if I have and Idea for a fictional team of a real automotive company,why shoud I not recreate it using the resuorces I have in LFS? I mean,If lfs had some generic F1 car..then....but......(FO8 does not count)

I find your opinion rather silly. Espcially the " destroying the skin" part.(This really PO'ed me off...TBH) You're basically saying "You should limit your imagination,and confine yourself to the LFS world". Well I will not. Ever.
whatever makes you happy

I just wonder, if you would get a (for an example)
chance to repaint a BMW M3 in "the real world"
would you still put Volvologos on it?
Quote from Rolle :whatever makes you happy

I just wonder, if you would get a (for an example)
chance to repaint a BMW M3 in "the real world"
would you still put Volvologos on it?

No,of course.

But in LFS seeing that we have only one F1 car we can work on,create and recreate, and most cars(not counting the RAC and the MRT) in LFS are fantasy cars taking design cues from multitude of real cars they can be pretty much anything you want. The FZ can be a Porsche 911,or a Ferrari 550.T' hell,it can even be a Nissan 350z. The FXO can be a Honda Civic or Opel Astra. The XFG can be a Renault 5 or Fiat punto or Seat Ibiza. The XRT can be an Mazda RX7 FC or a Starion. The FOX could easily be an Dallara or Lola,or....

Question: What should I do if I have an idea for a fictional F1 team livery,of a real car brand,and want to recreate it in,and for LFS,in its current state? According to you,I should drop it. And why drop a possibly great looking livery?Sure,it isn't realistic,and In real world it would be stupid,but here and now in LFS,it isn't.
I don't mind the livery
I have found a lot of great skins in this forum
(it's just the real carbrand that I feel doesn't belong)

I think I said so a few posts above.

For me LFS is a simulator and for me that means
it "could be real" and a BMW F1-car with a Honda logo
doesn't feel real...
#17 - feat
I Agree about this, because im sick of that BMW`s, Levin`s etc. Btw, i dont use car logos to my car because i dont need it and it ruins my car look. I Have 240 sx Type skins but i dont add NISSAN logo`s etc.
When I was designing the Adaptvie skins, I deliberatly stayed away from "real-life" logos, and stuck with the brands already in LFS, mind you, there are a few real life brands already in LFS anyway................
I don't get what the fuzz is all about.. most cars are "generic" so they can be any "real life" car. If you don't like people creating a "real" cars of it, than don't look at it.

Ok, the BF1 is modeled after the BMW Sauber, should that limit what we can do with it?

I think you guys are making a whole big deal out of this nonsense
Quote from LFSn00b :lol, I'll go put a trabant logo on BF1 then

Being me,I'd actually do that. Hmmmm...

*grabs some rust textures*
#21 - Gunn
Quote from Thunderhead : Why shouldn't I for example,make a Volvo skin for BF1?

But then you'll have to drive at 25MPH swerving unpredictably, taking up too much road, driving the wrong way and when you stop the car you'll need to take up two car park spaces.
lol gunn
lol @ Gunn.

The only thing I have, is a Ferrari badge on my FZR, because its a yep of a Ferrari that had the General Lee shizzle on it at Gumball.
Attached images
LFSGeneralLee.jpg
Gumball.jpg
Quote from Gunn :But then you'll have to drive at 25MPH swerving unpredictably, taking up too much road, driving the wrong way and when you stop the car you'll need to take up two car park spaces.

AWWW SHIT HES ONTO ME!!!!

*runs*
Quote from The General Lee :lol @ Gunn.

The only thing I have, is a Ferrari badge on my FZR, because its a yep of a Ferrari that had the General Lee shizzle on it at Gumball.

Nice.. they look a like pretty good (both on paint job and body model)

(26 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG