The online racing simulator
Do you REALLY want S2 Final?
(93 posts, started )
I mean, do you really want s2 to be finished in development, possibly even put on sale, and maybe even retailed? Publicized?

Our family of racing sims will be overrun with new people, to the point of when this community is just a bunch of people who don't know each other so well. Where all the older people have left and are replaced with a community like a First-Person Shooter.

Even though I'd like to see LFS and all of the developers shooting for the stars and becoming successful, what will happen to the community?
As long as we maintain a peaceful enviroment, and welcome new players who join LFS. I think it wont make any difference. People dont just buy a game to noob about with it, they buy it because they want to enjoy it. Well, atleast thats what i do
Quote from Cr!t!calDrift :I mean, do you really want s2 to be finished in development, possibly even put on sale, and maybe even retailed? Publicized?

Our family of racing sims will be overrun with new people, to the point of when this community is just a bunch of people who don't know each other so well. Where all the older people have left and are replaced with a community like a First-Person Shooter.

Even though I'd like to see LFS and all of the developers shooting for the stars and becoming successful, what will happen to the community?

I really want it to be publisied, or how that was spelled.
The more - the happier. Because I erally would like to see packed servers with 32 cars races
Of course there allways will be people that will behave wrong, but there will allways be good people, and therfor if there comes more people there will be more good people etc, and if not..
We allways has that little nifty ban button.
By the time it goes final, LFS will be a true hard-core sim (full damage, etc.). It will only have limited appeal to the audience you fear.
#5 - ajp71
Thankfully GTR and rF will still feature real cars and tracks and 'easy' physics that will divert most of those types

In all seriousness though I don't know what the community was like during S1 but S1 final didn't seem to attract a load of unwanted types did it (I really don't know)? So can't really see how making it final is going to attract a load of unwanted people, if anything it may help with migration from other sims.

Talking of unwanted types, as in permanent S2 licensed noobs not just new people, does anyone feel their presence has gone up (especially on the forum) recently, I'm unable to pin point why but did LFS get reviewed in a mag or something that attracted these people?
When it is Final it doesn't mean it is going to be on store shelves, retailed, etc...

S2 will just turn Final and everyone will download it as usual.

As for if I want it to be Final? Of course I do. But I don't see it becoming final at this current rate... hell I thought we would have S2 Final more than a year ago, but things have slowed down here. Things the dev have promised have not all come into the game yet (happens), and if Final is "really really close" now, I'd be really dissapointed if S2 Final is what we currently are playing. When S2 was all hyped up way before its release, we thought the physics, new cars, new tracks would be enough to call it final. But it has been... what... 2-3 years now since that happened? And now people expect more from S2 Final because of what the devs said they would be putting in the game, and still haven't. Scawen has done a good job of keeping most things updated and improved, but what was expected from Eric, I really want to see him finish that stuff so we can complete this damn S2 FINAL!!!!! Otherwise, if it is completed like --right now-- the game is going to be boring as hell for me.
Quote from Cr!t!calDrift :I mean, do you really want s2 to be finished in development, possibly even put on sale, and maybe even retailed? Publicized?

I don't see that happening! Not for S2 final at least. LFS is a niche game and is not a good enough screen shot generator to get to the general public.
#8 - Renku
If LFS S2 final will come before December, 2007 - I'll be disappointed!!
Yes, I want it, but not soon.
Some advertising on race related sites (not only games).
Some more activity on broadcasting of leagues. See only ISI based and NASCAR based stuff on.

http://Flog.com , http://game-tv.com and http://www.rlmtv.com/

Dont see why to get it in the shops as online distribution is the future. (see steam etc.)

Maybe get the attention of the gamingsites also since they seem only to review LFS first alpha of S2 if at all. Nobody outside the LFS community seems to grasp the concept.
Quote from Tweaker :...

What have the Devs got officially in the pipeline? I thought officially it was just the GTR cockpits and some hints of higher res textures. We know we've got a physics incompatible patch coming but has anything been confirmed by the Devs as to what's in it?
I would welcome more people. More people means more chance of seeing greater diversity online - more choice. That would be really good for LFS I think.

I want to bite my lip, but: I really do hope we see some graphical improvements soon. S2 looked dated when it arrived in 2005. Now it looks really, really dated and it hasn't even been released yet. I also hope the damage system is next up for revision after the AI.
I doubt we'll see LFS on the shelves at any point, really. Although, I have seen rFactor on store shelves and I never thought I'd see that, either.
Quote from thisnameistaken :I would welcome more people. More people means more chance of seeing greater diversity online - more choice. That would be really good for LFS I think.

I want to bite my lip, but: I really do hope we see some graphical improvements soon. S2 looked dated when it arrived in 2005. Now it looks really, really dated and it hasn't even been released yet. I also hope the damage system is next up for revision after the AI.

The graphic could easly work for many years to come. Sure, it would be outdated compared to DX10 graphics, but still it would do the thing.

And, as you perfectly says, if there are more racers, then there will be a bigger chance to get new and odd combos with a lot of people playing, and that would be great fun.
Yawn...like I had seen this conversation already.
Personally I think Carmageddon wins LFS in gfx originality, LFS would die in couple years into what Viper Racing has become, few private games weekly and that's it.

e: To answer the topic question, yes, very much so. S2 would show much developers of this simulation have dedicated themselves to this simulation after S1.
Quote from ajp71 :Talking of unwanted types, as in permanent S2 licensed noobs not just new people, does anyone feel their presence has gone up (especially on the forum) recently, I'm unable to pin point why but did LFS get reviewed in a mag or something that attracted these people?

Not just you, I've noticed as well. You can tell by the RSC off-topicness of the off-topic section here as of late. It's seemed to have calmed down a bit the last few weeks, but through the summer we were seeing more and more random ridiculousness in the off-topic section.

And yes, especially coming from the US, we definitely need more racers. Much more racers. I really don't see that happening in the US base of LFS though. NASCAR sims are too popular as is GTR series of sims.
As long as a decent percentage of new people take LFS seriously, then that can only be good. Most folk want to be proficient at the games they play, so directing newcomers to the beginners section and the huge amount of info already available is the way to go. LFS is difficult, but pretty newb friendly if people are of the right attitude, so I think there won't really be a problem.
What I am concerned about is the fate of S2 when S3 comes out. Will the S2 remain almost unnoticed just as the S1 is now? I mean lack of servers and lack of S1 licensed players? I hope not and would like to know how many people will migrate/upgrade. Is there any poll about it already?
Quote from breadfan :What I am concerned about is the fate of S2 when S3 comes out. Will the S2 remain almost unnoticed just as the S1 is now? I mean lack of servers and lack of S1 licensed players? I hope not and would like to know how many people will migrate/upgrade. Is there any poll about it already?

Well it's logical that everybody upgrades, good on the Devs to continue to support S1 but in effect S2 will probably just be a cheap mans S3, just like S1 is to S2. I can't see why any true LFSer won't upgrade, it's just more content and continuing to support the Devs in the end and if LFS isn't worth the upgrade they don't deserve LFS
Yes I want S2 final. It's unlikely (imo) that we'll get any significant extra content in S2. So until S2 becomes "final" and complete, extra cars and tracks seem a very very very long way away indeed, in an S3 alpha from 2010 or something.
Quote from Renku :If LFS S2 final will come before December, 2007 - I'll be disappointed!!
Yes, I want it, but not soon.

/me agrees

Ill like to wait more than to get unfinished and unreal product. I can wait till death...
The people your talking about don't use their brakes. On this game, you can't be fast if you don't use ones brakes. Its not possible, to even play if you don't slow down, besides, most of the people that will buy the game from the shelve, will just give the game up if they don't like it. Although, i think LFS needs a name change.. Its just TOO similar to Need for Speed, and some of these idiots, will buy LFS thinking its NFS.. das ist nicht gut!
Actually no, I like the progress of LFS... new patches again and again, thats the magic of this game
Basically, if the package stays as enjoyable as it is now, I couldn't care less if it's tagged Alpha, Beta or Final... However, I wouldn't want it to be found in the shelves for the same reason as big PR I think would hurt LfS: most people are superficial, and thus wouldn't appeal to the masses... And once branded as a failure by the masses (in addition to the financial loss for the publisher), it would be hard to get rid of that image again...

Like people have said, S2 final doesn't mean it'll be distributed to store shelves. Yet, I'd like to see the number of licensed racers rocket so we could have proper 24/7 online action.

But I don't want S2 to go final anytime soon. IMO, schedule wise LFS should've been final when the BF1 got released, now we're just waiting and waiting without any real (read: added or greatly re-worked content, that's what people are really waiting for) improvement. At this rate, the general public will grow bored to the same content that we've had for ages, and before we know it, Scawen will have to start patching up the game for the next Windows OS release..

It seems that progress is very very very slow, almost non-existant. I'm more than happy if someone can prove me wrong though

(93 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG