The online racing simulator

Poll : Rear view mirror in follow view.

Closed since :
NO
YES
rear view mirror in follow view.
simple answers please a simple yes or no is just fine.
No

Why make an unrealistic view even less realistic (not only floating behind you car magically, but a mirror magically floats just infront and above your head?!)?
No
Same as above for realism, and time consuming new feature.
No, see above
#5 - CSU1
I voted yes...why the hell not ffs. imo either bannish that view altogether OR give them a bloody mirror so they can be safe on the track.
i voted no, would be unrealistic, and would look very wierd imo
#7 - CSU1
Quote from Nathan_French_14 :i voted no, would be unrealistic, and would look very wierd imo

...well the dev's should have expected tis kind of question the moment they decided to include a NFS type chase view into a racing simulator. It just doesn't make sense to include ANY view into a sim and not place mirrors too...

...not that I care really, I hope the only view we are able to use in future is cockpit. Again, I guess they expected this one
What's wrong with an option to turn it on/off as you wish

Can only be of better use.
No, and we should remove the option to race in anything but cockpit and custom view too. Let's see how many people get riled up by this :-Þ
#10 - CSU1
Quote from AndroidXP :No, and we should remove the option to race in anything but cockpit and custom view too. Let's see how many people get riled up by this :-Þ

+1

Either rid of it, or accomadate for it
#11 - CSU1
....hold on, just thinking about it(no I didnt hurt myself thanks ) the current chase view with no mirrors should be left as, why? because leaving chase view available might appeal to new drivers used to driving from this view. The lack of mirrors was probably intentional in hope to get the new drivers into the cockpit.
#12 - CSU1
Quote from Mike85 : We should just communicate this to Scawen to put into Y patch as a quick fix. Im sure its one line of code to fix.

lmao! ok I've started the mindmeld with Scawen....hummmmmmZooOOOOMGGGG!!..ok, he said YES! LOL!
Quote from Mike85 :It would also be good to fix the chase view because it feels "wobly".

You know, reading the changelogs from time to time is good too. That option is already implemented...
Quote from CSU1 :I voted yes...why the hell not ffs. imo either bannish that view altogether OR give them a bloody mirror so they can be safe on the track.

I actually agree with this view. Realism is not the question (I mean why chase-cam was ever included is a mystery to a lot of us, but that's not relevant here really). Whatever happens- if there's a chase-cam it will not be realistic. So, if it must be there why not give 'em a mirror too? Mirrors don't make you any faster and I certainly wouldn't complain because a car in front is more able to see me.
#15 - Nobo
Quote from Mike85 :Im sure its one line of code to fix.

Dont think its one line of code...its been suggested over years now. It was already in suggested improvments in the Test Patch section but wasnt included in the patches where it would have been fit into. I dont think i will ever get my mirror
As long as i dont have the same side and front overview like in cockpit like in real car (and thats not possible with one small monitor.), i will not try to switch from chase view.
#16 - Gunn
Quote from CSU1 :...well the dev's should have expected tis kind of question the moment they decided to include a NFS type chase view into a racing simulator. It just doesn't make sense to include ANY view into a sim and not place mirrors too...

It is a very good view for checking out the forces when tweaking setups.

Makes sense not to include a mirror, and the TV cam view and top-down view have no mirror either but they still have their uses as observational viewpoints.

I voted no anyway. I think it is good to discourage the use of the chase cam as a driving view, but leave the view in LFS for observational use.
Quote from Nobo :Dont think its one line of code...its been suggested over years now. It was already in suggested improvments in the Test Patch section but wasnt included in the patches where it would have been fit into. I dont think i will ever get my mirror

Just because it has been suggested for a long time, doesn't mean that it is a feature that will happen.

Quote :As long as i dont have the same side and front overview like in cockpit like in real car (and thats not possible with one small monitor.), i will not try to switch from chase view.

Kind of a silly reason for not driving in cockpit view. There is far more benefits to driving in the cockpit than just mirrors. Such as the visual feedback of both oversteer and understeer as well as bumps and general visuals of g-forces.
#18 - Nobo
As i said, i dont think the mirror will ever happen due to the mentioned reason that new players should be encouraged to drive in the cockpit and i can understand that. I have arranged myself to drive without mirror, its ok, even though i sometimes lose a place, because i dont know 100% where the car behind me attacks, for safety reasons i let the door more open then needed.

"Such as the visual feedback of both oversteer and understeer as well as bumps and general visuals of g-forces. "

I personally think you can better see the visual feedback in chase view, but thats just a question of taste i think.

My main problem lays in the narrow city courses, hairpins, sharp corners, because i am actually not on the height of the car and need to plan earlier where i want my car to go.
#19 - Gunn
Quote from Nobo :

My main problem lays in the narrow city courses, hairpins, sharp corners, because i am actually not on the height of the car and need to plan earlier where i want my car to go.

In chase view you have the luxury of being able to see further up the track or even around corners and plan early. Cockpit view is not easier in these situations, it's all happening right in your face and you have to deal with it as you might in a real cockpit.
I voted "yes" in the pool.

maybe it`s because I allways have used chase veiw, but I would like to see a mirrow for us to.
And then we maybe could get all those that says that chase veiw users are a danger to the race to shut up because we actually somehow could orientate with whats happebd around the car.
At the moment the only way to do this is to have sorround speakers, and guess out from the sound where the other cars on the track is.
I voted yes. becuase in hte brief moments in chase view I like to check if anyone else is coming up on me
The reason that the mirror is left out of most games while in chase mode is simple.

Performance. When you are in your car, the game is not drawing your whole car's body. Opponent cars are generally drawn at a lower Level of Detail...so they aren't as heavy. However, when you are in chase mode, YOUR car is drawn at MAX LOD ... with reflections and such. All of this extra power needed for that means that drawing the mirror is to heavy. Remember, the mirror is essentially just an extra "camera" rendering the whole scene behind you...

That said... lfs runs on my machine at 100fps all the time, and though my machine is relatively new, its by no means a powerhouse. There is enough power left for an extra mirror (i never drive chase, so that number is in-car)

For everyone saying "its not realistic" ... think of it this way. Whether you like the view or not, people will be using it. People who are racing WITH YOU. As long as that view is there, it should have a mirror. I think its a dumb view, but if I'm racing people who are using it, I want them to be able to see me lapping them. (lord knows they aren't up front if they need chase to drive)

The mirror is more for the people the are racing with than it is for them.

However, in a perfect world, that view wouldn't exist. You drive from the seat or you don't drive at all.
I understand your point of veiw, about the performance part, but thats why it should be optional.
It`s up to the user if he wants to use that, all we ask about is the possibility to deside for ourselfe if we want and can use the mirrow in chase veiw. For lower end computers it would not be recomended, and possible not be used if the user wanted those extra FPS, but for people that got the computer for the work - why not?
how many of you use the virtual start lights and the tyre temp display aswell ?

perhaps they should be disabled to
Actually the tyre temp display should, but the virtual start lights are okay. They have a legitimate reason for being there.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG