The online racing simulator
#1 - Woz
Sending setups, what has changed
I don't know if its down to a different group of people or if people have changed mentality but back in the S1 days 99% of people would send you a setup if you asked but this is not the case with S2. People ignore requests or mock people etc.
majority of the people i ask send. If they dont they usually say its a team setup which is fine. People do not have to share their setups just because you ask.
I agree, it seems folks were a lot "friendlier" even in the S2 demo. Of course, I get a lot of "using race_1 set" when I ask if someone has a good set. Maybe just not many have a setup.
But sometimes it is true, the race_1 set is perfectly fine if you don't have a setup of your own. In the CoRe server we all used that setup at one point, to have fair races, but to make it easy so that people would all have the same set.

I give my setups to as many people as I can -- mostly because I don't make them and got them online someplace. No reason to keep it to yourself if you found it online for public download. But when big races come up, and I work on strategy and stuff, I can't give it to them, which is understandable. It's just some people are given sets where they are sworn not to pass it out (teams and stuff), but other times people really just dont like to share because they think they will start losing soon after.
#5 - Chaos
Quote from mrodgers :I agree, it seems folks were a lot "friendlier" even in the S2 demo. Of course, I get a lot of "using race_1 set" when I ask if someone has a good set. Maybe just not many have a setup.

Well in the late S1 times there were good sets on inferno for 99% of the tracks/cars, so when everybody could download a good set , there was no point of sharing them online... nowadays some think that they win mainly because of their set, so the are not willing to share it... but it's a common thing that is't 80% the driver not the set who wins the race... I have no probs sharing my sets... When someone asks for a set I have, I share...
#6 - Woz
Quote from sil3ntwar :People do not have to share their setups just because you ask.

Yes, you are 100% correct. But I was only trying to find out what had changed in the community because is old S1 days most people would send setups and this is no longer the case.
Quote from Woz : People ignore requests or mock people etc.

About ingoring: here's my experience. If there are 15 people on a serv, and you ask for a setup like "Can anyone share their ss" everyone thinks that someone else sent it to you (when in fact no one does). My advise: ask somebody particular

Happened to me many times. OH! And also sometimes it's hard to send a setup (find the right person in a huge list of 20 people) when you're going 270 in the F08.
#8 - avih
Quote from Woz :Yes, you are 100% correct. But I was only trying to find out what had changed in the community because is old S1 days most people would send setups and this is no longer the case.

I'll have to agree. You can still get setups, but more ppl these days don't give them easily.. :/
one guy actually called me lazy (plus something else i dont really remember but to me it was pretty rude) when i asked him politely to send me his setup ... even though he had a crc tag in his nickname ..
Quote from Woz :I don't know if its down to a different group of people or if people have changed mentality but back in the S1 days 99% of people would send you a setup if you asked but this is not the case with S2. People ignore requests or mock people etc.

I figure in S2 setups really make the difference.
It`s totally legitimate in my eyes not to give somebody else your setup, because one might have worked for hours on it to get an advantage.

I sometimes ask and if I get a setup I am happy, if not, then I can totally understand.
especially since drivers who can make good setups often participate in leagues and such.
Sometimes when racing it can be very distracting to SS, so maybe another reason for being ignored is becuase the driver is also concentrating on finishing first (or waiting for a straight). I know I've done that numerous times, but normally remember to SS once finished racing.

Actually, S1 in it's first days I found to be very bad for getting setups off people. In S2 I've personally noticed a lot more setup swapping.
#12 - Woz
Quote from Rotary :Sometimes when racing it can be very distracting to SS, so maybe another reason for being ignored is becuase the driver is also concentrating on finishing first (or waiting for a straight). I know I've done that numerous times, but normally remember to SS once finished racing.

Actually, S1 in it's first days I found to be very bad for getting setups off people. In S2 I've personally noticed a lot more setup swapping.

True, it might settle down a little in a few months as S2 is new so people are still tweaking. But most times when I ask is normally after the race has finished so not to distract drivers who are racing.
That sucks, nothing more frustrating than not having a decent setup! Feel free to ask for a setup from me, most likely I'll be sending a slightly modified setup from http://setupfield.teaminferno.hu/
I always share setups if asked - but only after the race has finished. PRIORITIES!
-
(Schooner) DELETED by Schooner
#15 - tpa
On public servers are always share my setups if I am being asked NICELY.
Lately I am getting the impression that many racers assume it's their right to get my setup and forget about the etiquette

Also, I can understand if people in leagues won't share their setups with their competitors :haha:
-
(HittiS) DELETED by HittiS
Quote from HittiS :Word, WORD ... ppl always ask: please can u share your set??? when you're middle in a good race, and if u don't answer (becuse your busy) then they go again: PLEASE CAN U SHARE YOUR SET??? ... 10 times!!!

Please c'mon i'm in a race atm (and when i'm racing i don't wanna pull over to send u my set, or even talk to you).

:iagree:, patience is the keyword here...
#17 - Nard
Yeah, but then again, I always send a preparation message like: "Hey, <insert random name here> after the race, would you mind sharing your set?"

This usually gives me a set at the end of the race. Sometimes, I have to remind the guy, or he may not have seen the message in race, but what happens too much, is even before I can ask again, boom he's disconnected. :mad:
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken
Quote from szyszek :About ingoring: here's my experience. If there are 15 people on a serv, and you ask for a setup like "Can anyone share their ss" everyone thinks that someone else sent it to you (when in fact no one does). My advise: ask somebody particular

yep. that works for me to
Nobody ever asks me for my set . But from what I see attitude is the keyword here. I scrolled a long way down this thread before the 'P' word came up. People come on and simply say 'Anyone got a set?' or 'give me a set' or some such. I've seen really hot drivers happily share their sets when it is requested which, if you think about it, is daft. Can you imagine the Ferrari team nipping along to the McLaren pit and saying 'give me your set for Nurburgring' 'Say please then'

Manners, manners and a few more manners.

Oh, and nothing has changed.
I`ll always share mine with someone who asks politely, as its still 90% down to the driver.

I`ve refused on some occasions, when people who have taken me out while recovering from a spin or while being lapped ask for it.
Quote from Doorman : the 'P' word came up

"piss off?"

yeah I know.. silly joke
Quote from thisnameistaken :I don't ask the guy who came first (because everybody else does and it must get a bit irritating)

Hah, very good point
Well, like Doorman said, it's very unlikely someone won't send his set, if you ask politely (and won't cause any accidents in the race). There's nothing worse than taking out a fast driver and later ask for his set...
League racing is a different story.

Once I was in a bad mood... blocked messages and was just driving around Aston for hours. Not sure if anyone asked for a set, but it was very refreshing not having to read any messages once in a while

Rotary: Ahh.. you changed your avatar. I liked the cute character you had on RSC, damn you
I give mine out now. I figure I've had enough "private" time with it, so now I share. As a previous poster said, it's seriously irritating to have someone ask 20 times while I'm racing. I cannot type/use the mouse while I'm racing and so don't give sets out or argue with another racer while I'm racing. The best way to get me to block messages is for someone to start spamming about sets while a race is on. That person can expect to not see a set from me for the rest of the day...at least.

I also wont give sets out to anyone who pissed me off previously. I have a list of people I'm very pissed off at and a list of people I'm only mildly pissed off at. It's taped to my monitor with explenations as to what pissed me off...so I don't forget. I also keep replays of the person's idiocy to refresh my animosity. The people who really pissed me off will never recieve any kind of help from me...ever... and can expect a certain amount of dispariging comments every time I see them on a server. The people who I'm only mildly pissed of at can expect my help sometime in the future...usualy a couple of months later...when I've calmed down some. Yes, I'm an ****. I don't know if any of you do the same thing, but I suspect that at least a few do. This might be another reason why some people percieve a certain amount of selfishness.

That being said, if someone's been a clean racer or respectfull (following blue flag protocall religiously)..I give it to them without being asked and try to help them with thier lines/racecraft in between races.
I'm just glad that most the good sets can be found at Inferno's website... many of which I use as a base for the ones I use. Comes in very handy.

Rumiko: How's that, better? Her name is Rikku from Final Fantasy X & X-2
Attached images
FF10%20rikku.jpg
Quote from operator0 :I have a list of people I'm very pissed off at and a list of people I'm only mildly pissed off at. It's taped to my monitor with explenations as to what pissed me off...so I don't forget. I also keep replays of the person's idiocy to refresh my animosity. The people who really pissed me off will never recieve any kind of help from me...ever... and can expect a certain amount of dispariging comments every time I see them on a server. The people who I'm only mildly pissed of at can expect my help sometime in the future...usualy a couple of months later...when I've calmed down some.

If I did that I wouldn't see my screen for post it notes. LOL

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG