The online racing simulator
7900GTS or 8600GTS?
(32 posts, started )
#1 - Mako.
7900GTS or 8600GTS?
I want to get a new card (doing a build) And was recomended the 8600GTS as a god card. Later, i went to the store and was told about "high end" and "low end" cards. From the conversation I understood that the 7900 gts might actualy be a better/cheaper buy and actualy be faster than the 8600. Can someone help me with this please? BTW, I'm looking for a decentpci-e card that does not cost an arm and a leg, but is a good powerrful card. I would like nVidia. Thank you.
What is the price you want to pay?

Get a 8800 GTS, more bang (and memory) for the buck. They run about $300-400 USD, easily. I got mine on Newegg.com. The money invested in a decent card now will pay off for future games. That is of course if you have an 'ok' system to begin with.
#3 - Mako.
well, I dont "WANT" to spend more than 200 on it... because I only have $1.000 to build a whole block...
#4 - Jakg
The 8600GTS is somewhere between the 7900GS/7900GT in performance, BUT it has DX10, wheras the other cards don't - If you want to play a DirectX 10 game in DX10 mode you WILL need Vista and a DX10 compatible card - which is any 8-series from nVidia or any 2-series from ATi. It's up to you as to whether you want to get DX10, because so far in the DX10 games even 8800GTX's are getting pretty crappy performance, but the games themselves were quickly (and sloppily) ported to DX10, and so we'll see "true" DX10 performance with stuff like Crysis.

An x1950 Pro is probably the best "bang for the buck" right now, as it sits somewhere between the 7900GS/GT and is nice and cheap, but as i'm an nVidia fanboy i'd recommend also looking at the price of a 7900GTO on eBay, as they are really rather quick and now rather cheap, too.

Personally i'd see if i could afford an 8600GTS

/me remembers about 9 months ago when i bought my 7950GT for £186 - just seen an identical card (but with more RAM) sell for £67
Quote from Jakg :T...
An x1950 Pro is probably the best "bang for the buck" right now...

I am agree.

This generation of mid-range video cards sucks, 2600XT, 8600GT and 8600GTS are very poor imo. GeForce 8 are cards for playing D9 games. Oh yes, they support D10, but only for marketing purposes. In about 3 months we will see nVidia 9 series
Yea I would like to see, what those 9800 GTX and GTS are made of! Oh yea, I hope there will be some pure beast power lol. Offcourse ultra/GTX right now are already good powerhouses, so...lets wait.
#7 - Mako.
Quote from NitroNitrous :I am agree.

This generation of mid-range video cards sucks, 2600XT, 8600GT and 8600GTS are very poor imo. GeForce 8 are cards for playing D9 games. Oh yes, they support D10, but only for marketing purposes. In about 3 months we will see nVidia 9 series

+1. I have a x1950pro and it does the job fine for me. It runs most games I have at max settings and should handle the newer stuff at medium settings without too much bother. (without the fancy DX10 bits, mind).

Unless you are building a very fast rig, you may find with one of the uber fast cards that your CPU etc becomes a bottleneck, and thus you won't see what the card is capable of.
#9 - Jakg
I think it is too basic. People usually undervalue the psu and it is a very important part of our computers.

I would recommend something like this or if it is too expensive, this one is fine imo.
well, then I'll return the one I ordered (that one) and go for the other one.... because i canceled my order and made a new one like twice already.
I am in the middle of choosing between the 8600gts and the 7900gt also. ive got to links here for the ones i am looking at

8800GTS

7900GT
Quote from sldwayz :I am in the middle of choosing between the 8600gts and the 7900gt also. ive got to links here for the ones i am looking at

8800GTS

7900GT

8800GTS is really a no brainer if you have the cash.

What's your system?
Quote from mcintyrej :8800GTS is really a no brainer if you have the cash.

What's your system?

i ment 8600 click link.

Ive got a P4 3.5ghz clocked, upgrading, motherboard etc soon, currently running 800mhz fsb,, 2gig ram, corsair. 19 " benq 80gig sata 4 silent cool masters, not sure on power supple ill get back on that one.
#16 - Jakg
I'd get a 7600GT and a better CPU tbh
Quote from Jakg :I'd get a 7600GT and a better CPU tbh

Yes im in the middle of looking at new cpu's etc, im just gooing to build everything else up, motherboard , ram ,graphics , hdd etc. then ill do cpu last.
Quote from Jakg :I'd get a 7600GT and a better CPU tbh

somthing like this

7600 gt

also please explain why you like that card beter over 8600gts or gt and 7900gt ? isnt higher the speed beter ? And also whats gddr3 and ddr3 i no its the next model up from ddr2 i supose but will it fit on a p35?
#19 - Jakg
Both of those cards are faster than the 7600GT, but you'll see little improvement without a quicker CPU. Thus i recommend a faster card (7600GT) and saving some cash for a new CPU.
Quote from Jakg :Both of those cards are faster than the 7600GT, but you'll see little improvement without a quicker CPU. Thus i recommend a faster card (7600GT) and saving some cash for a new CPU.

Should i get 512mb or 256mb 7600GT
#21 - Jakg
The 512 MB version is pointless, get the 256 one.
ok, so you say 7600gt ? , is there a beter card a little more expenisve? 7900gt ? il show you my plan..

1st-Motherboard

-Graphics

-then later on il get a new cpu. core 2 duo

- PSU ? proberly need a new one correct ? get it later on.

- Ram 2gigs of ddr2 corsair.
#23 - Jakg
7900GS is a quicker card, but in the UK at least it's like 60% more expensive - if you can afford it, go for it.
If you want a card for playing LFS, 7600GT is superb. If you want a card for playing newest games, 7600GT and 8600GTS are shit.
#25 - Jakg
8600GTS is currently between a 79000GS/GT and doing nicely in DX10 - not as shit as it first looked tbh.

7900GTS or 8600GTS?
(32 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG