The online racing simulator
Anyone use peltier coolers?
(21 posts, started )
For video cards,or cpu's? If so,I would like to see what you have,I attached one to my video card,and used a old heatsink/fan combo to displace the heat the peltier makes,gpu runs anywhere from 80 to 84F (26~28c) and about 100f say in live for speed (38c),My cpu cooling thats a whole nother story,chilled water cooling via phase change system,But I wont get into that now,Heres the video card
Attached images
IMG_0710.jpg
Had no idea what a peltier cooler was.... thought maybe some A/C for a pair of knickers ants:

My friend has that I believe... either way, no matter what heatsink usually... he stays around 30c to 40c ingame depending on the size and fanspeed. Safe enough.
Ah, this little thing had me wondering like a little boy...Anyone here know how the 'reaction' actually works ?! From what i understand,
one side is hot and the other is cool, the hotter one side, the cooler the other, and vice-versa, something about heat differentials i
think. I saw a few damaged coolers with peltier elements at my old job (my parent's store). I always wanted to grab one off a cooler
and stick it on my CPU but i changed my mind after reading some scary stories about overheating elements and general mistakes from
lack of knowledge/understanding. Things like heating up a lot and possibly damaging the very chip i'm trying to protect by cooling
was kind of a turn off

I haven't given up on my PeltierCoolAir intake for cars though

Hehe, i knew i should have searched before..
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peltier_element
Wouldn't a peltier cooling on today's processors require massive cooling, and a huge power supply? The efficiency of those things is extremely poor, so to cool down a processor that puts out over 100W of heat on its own you're going to have to pump in a massive amount of energy to the peltier and then somehow move that away from the hot side of the peltier.

The whole purpose of them, as far as I know, is the capability to cool down the cold side to sub-zero temperatures which allows you to overclock the processor (or video card) more. If you're not getting sub-zero (or at least less than ambient) temperatures then there's only harm done as you only get more heat from the peltier to get rid of.
Quote from Kegetys :Wouldn't a peltier cooling on today's processors require massive cooling, and a huge power supply? The efficiency of those things is extremely poor, so to cool down a processor that puts out over 100W of heat on its own you're going to have to pump in a massive amount of energy to the peltier and then somehow move that away from the hot side of the peltier.

The whole purpose of them, as far as I know, is the capability to cool down the cold side to sub-zero temperatures which allows you to overclock the processor (or video card) more. If you're not getting sub-zero (or at least less than ambient) temperatures then there's only harm done as you only get more heat from the peltier to get rid of.

To dissipate the full 100W+ load, you ideally want a water cooled peltier setup, where the peliter cools the proc, and the water cools the pelt.
Of course; if you are going sub-zero (or close to), with the difference in air temparture around the peltier, you need to use neoprene and silicon sealant to keep condensation at bay, or you'll fry the whole thing.

As far as power supplies go; usually a smaller independant power supply is used for the peltier, in conjunction with your regular PSU.
I was going to go Pelt for in here. But I changed my mind and am toying over Liquid cooling, or Phase. Only downside to phase is the fact I'm pretty much just chucking a freezer in my room, so it'll be loud as hell =/
Even been tempted to get both, Phase for my CPU, and LC for the card/north bridge.

But currently, Air works find anyway, never breaking 40c on my proc.
Quote :Fonnybone Ah, this little thing had me wondering like a little boy...Anyone here know how the 'reaction' actually works ?! From what i understand,
one side is hot and the other is cool, the hotter one side, the cooler the other, and vice-versa

Yes,all it is basically is a transistor,one side cold one side hot,Actually the cooler you cant get the hot side the colder the cold side will be.. I took this peltier off of a 6 pack cooler,was in doubt that it would even cool my gpu,I was hopeing it would get it colder than it does,But thats not the case Currently I can run this one off of my computers PS,it runs on 12volts and pulls about 3 amps,Not a problem for a 550 power supply..

Quote :Anarchi-H To dissipate the full 100W+ load, you ideally want a water cooled peltier setup, where the peliter cools the proc, and the water cools the pelt.
Of course; if you are going sub-zero (or close to), with the difference in air temparture around the peltier, you need to use neoprene and silicon sealant to keep condensation at bay, or you'll fry the whole thing.

I was going to attach a water block to the hot side,But didnt want to go through the trouble of all that :P water that condesates is not as harmful as say tap water,Condensation does not contain all the minerals/impurities that tap water does,and is there for not as conductive,I have some good cork tape/sealant stuff,thats what I used all around my cpu cause it sweats some,and was dripping on my video card,the video card the way it is mounted,if the peltier creates a little water,it should just fall to the bottom of the case I did put cork insulator on top of the card though,on the back of the gpu basically..

Just wish this thing would cool more:irked: Think I may have to get on ebay,and get one of those peltier/thermostat setups... These things are really neat to play with,The one I am useing would make ice,but not with a load on it
Quote from Pootie : I took this peltier off of a 6 pack cooler,was in doubt that it would even cool my gpu,I was hopeing it would get it colder than it does,But thats not the case

Ahh, an analogous soul That 6 pack cooler, who makes it ?
The coolers i saw are arond 40L and is made by Igloo if i remember.
The peltier element is probably a cheap industrial version...
Quote from Fonnybone :Ahh, an analogous soul That 6 pack cooler, who makes it ?
The coolers i saw are arond 40L and is made by Igloo if i remember.
The peltier element is probably a cheap industrial version...

I dont remember the name brand ,It was out of one I got from wal-mart,I did get a igloo cooler to replace the one I dismantled,is was 20$ half the price of the one I tore up :P,Good thing about em,at least they come with a heatsink/fan combo

Oh,just found the one I tore up http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=3942757

Rubbermaid
#10 - OPK
Using peltier coolers is pointless: a) you´ll need an insane cooler b) you´ll need a huge power supply (better an own power plant) c) PC´s can´t really deal with condensing water which might appear
Quote from OPK :Using peltier coolers is pointless: a) you´ll need an insane cooler b) you´ll need a huge power supply (better an own power plant) c) PC´s can´t really deal with condensing water which might appear

a) No you don't. All you need is a fan to push away the warm air. A simple 40mmx40mm fan does the job well.
b) No you don't again. Unless you buy a massive pelt, a normal cheap OEM PSU will do the job. But most pelts only draw 150-200watts, so a cheap OEM would run it fine. Plus a PSU only draws power that is needed. I have a 580watt PSU in my PC. But I probably only use 300-350watts of it. Which in turn means cheaper bills. I could if I wanted to, run a pelt off this PSU and the rest of my system. But it's not recomended on any level.
c) This is true. Which is why you can get a jell to put inbetween the proc and the socket to help prevent it there, and you get insulation tape (or gloop if you prefer it) to prevent it leaking anywhere else.

Pelts being pointless all depend on what side of the fence you sit. A good LC kit (no premade, but selected by hand parts) can usally do the same job (though you can only get as cool as the liquid, you can always get a water chiller). But most people never have a need for such toys, so in that sense it is very pointless. For people who want more for less. They are useful. If used correctly.
Quote from OPK :Using peltier coolers is pointless: a) you´ll need an insane cooler b) you´ll need a huge power supply (better an own power plant) c) PC´s can´t really deal with condensing water which might appear

(A) Using peltiers is not pointless,Because they allow you to acheive sub zero temps,good for overclockers (b)Huge power supply,My current peltier only pulls 3 amps off the 12v side,PS can handle about 30 amps,So even a 300 watt PS would handle this peltier (C) you dont have to worry about condensation if you insulate properly... Just dropping the temprature as much as I did on my gpu allowed me to push it even further.. So this little experiment was worth it..

I suppose that a phase change system is pointless as well? As that is what cools my cpu

Overclocking is one of my hobbies,and However I can lower tempratures,I'll do it

Hmmm frosty
well pelztierchen (pelts ... inside joke for all the german ocers ) will most likely heat the chip rathern than cool it unless you use at least water cooling ... plet + fan is just not worth the effort for anything above 10-20W
Quote from Pootie :I dont remember the name brand ,It was out of one I got from wal-mart,I did get a igloo cooler to replace the one I dismantled,is was 20$ half the price of the one I tore up :P,Good thing about em,at least they come with a heatsink/fan combo

Oh,just found the one I tore up http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=3942757

Rubbermaid

Close enough, i believe Igloo is from Coleman because looking
at your link, i found the one i want to tear up

http://www.walmart.com/catalog ... th=0%3A4125%3A4128%3A5164

Some 'specs' from the link:

- No matter how hot it gets, it will cool to 44° F below the surrounding
temperature. Typically, it cools to 40 degrees & heats to 120 degrees.

- Includes 12V car power supply plug and 120V plug for home

I find it funny to read that Peltier elements are pointless for PCs since
this is how i actually learned about Peltier elements. You can go to a store
and buy a kit for your PC, so i don't think everyone is just stupid. Sure,
grabbing the one in a Coleman cooler isn't the best way, but i'm not gonna
put it on my CPU either, i don't have a death wish Well, ok, so
it's more because i don't have enough money to buy a new one...lol

Still, i'm gonna find stuff to use it on when i find the time. I've always
had this interest for technogadget and those things are just marvelous
little pieces of technology. Who ever though that certain materials, when
applied current, would create a temperature differential between the
poles where current is applied ?!
#15 - vari
Quote from Fonnybone :Who ever though that certain materials, when

In 1821, J. T. Seebeck (1770-1831) discovered that dissimilar metals that are connected at two different locations (junctions) will develop a micro-voltage if the two junctions are held at different temperatures. This effect is known as the "Seebeck effect"; it is the basis for thermocouple thermometers.

In 1834, a scientist called Peltier discovered the inverse of the Seebeck effect, now known as the "Peltier effect": He found that if you take a thermocouple and apply a voltage, this causes a temperature difference between the junctions. This results in a small heat pump.
moved to hardware forum

------
Janitor
Quote from Fonnybone :Close enough, i believe Igloo is from Coleman because looking
at your link, i found the one i want to tear up

http://www.walmart.com/catalog ... th=0%3A4125%3A4128%3A5164

Some 'specs' from the link:

- No matter how hot it gets, it will cool to 44° F below the surrounding
temperature. Typically, it cools to 40 degrees & heats to 120 degrees.

- Includes 12V car power supply plug and 120V plug for home

I find it funny to read that Peltier elements are pointless for PCs since
this is how i actually learned about Peltier elements. You can go to a store
and buy a kit for your PC, so i don't think everyone is just stupid. Sure,
grabbing the one in a Coleman cooler isn't the best way, but i'm not gonna
put it on my CPU either, i don't have a death wish Well, ok, so
it's more because i don't have enough money to buy a new one...lol

Still, i'm gonna find stuff to use it on when i find the time. I've always
had this interest for technogadget and those things are just marvelous
little pieces of technology. Who ever though that certain materials, when

That looks like a nice one to tear up I would imagine that the peltier in that unit would be a bit larger than the one I scraped,So when you get one up and running,Let me see what you used it on
#19 - vari
Quote from Fonnybone :Vari, scroll up to Post #3

Oops, didn't see that
Quote from DaveHimself :i use a Vapochill Lightspeed on my cpu but my crappy chaintech 5700 just gets an upgraded aircooler and some home made ramsinks.

but my cpu is a chilly -33 degrees playing lfs.

http://photobucket.com/albums/a186/Dave_himself/

You should have got a black case for your phase so it maches your rig
And I now hate you because I really want to get phase, but currently don't have the pinkish/blue
But I have noticed that all the stock cases you get phases in are always too stubby for most cases. A guy I know had to hack up a Lian Li PC-75 to drop his in, because his rig overhung so much it started to develop and bend in the case. illepall

btw: Clean your cables man, such a mess. Even my parents OEM rig is cleaner (errr, well... was OEM until I got my hands on it anyway), though I did sort of clean it a little ¬_¬
Quote from DaveHimself :i use a Vapochill Lightspeed on my cpu but my crappy chaintech 5700 just gets an upgraded aircooler and some home made ramsinks.

but my cpu is a chilly -33 degrees playing lfs.

http://photobucket.com/albums/a186/Dave_himself/

Awesome,Thanks for posting that,I love those vapochill units,The only thing I dont like is how much the compressor runs,Thats why I went with chilled water,use antifreeze to stop it from freezing up,But as of yesterday my compressor died cpu is hot,I'm not to happy about it....

any way,the compressor would cycle,once the thermostat got satisfied,water got cold enough,Gonna make a bong today me thinks..

(21 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG