The online racing simulator
Those wacky frenchmen
(20 posts, started )
Those wacky frenchmen
Didn't understand half of it, but woah that looks so unnatural! Witches!
To quote UT2004

Wicked Sick!!
-
(Nathan_French_14) DELETED by Nathan_French_14
As far I can see, this is not a french invention, but an invention of Amar Bose, founder of Bose Corporation. I must say this is an amazing invention that should have a bright future. Good find!
This isn't progressive suspension (which isn't all that good really)

And no body roll is NOT a good thing overall, although camber control is. I suspect this system would improve outright grip (maintaining camber control), but reduce the handling of the car (i.e. feel).

Great for GT cars though, as the ride would be pretty darn good, and GTs aren't about handling.
i fail to see the point ... it might be able to improve grip a little but something tells me its very unsafe to not be able to judge what the cars around are up to
#7 - bbman
Quote from Shotglass :i fail to see the point ... it might be able to improve grip a little but something tells me its very unsafe to not be able to judge what the cars around are up to

Yeah, it might go the same way as the noise reduction... Only reason you hear the engine and they even reproduced the sounds of the old relays in the cabin: the customer wants that feedback...
I like a bit of lean (a small controlled amount)

Reminds you about a chassis/suspension which is had time and effort spent on it.
#9 - JTbo
Quote from Shotglass :i fail to see the point ... it might be able to improve grip a little but something tells me its very unsafe to not be able to judge what the cars around are up to

But that is nothing new when we look today's big family cars (or even any modern family car / SUV)

They call it good to drive when there is no feedback from road, never understood that...
It was a long long time ago and my memory's non to good, but i'm sure Lotus developed something like this back in the 80's. I remember they were working on an Esprit that could lean into fast corners, and have absolutely no roll in slower corners. (although it could'nt jump over walls)

Never really caught on in the road car at that time, dont think the test drivers were too impressed with the odd sensation it created in the car, but i think a similar system was used for the late 80's Senna/Piquet F1 car.

Been trying to find something about that Esprit on the net, but without success.

Any other old timer remember this ?
#11 - JTbo
Quote from Mazz4200 :It was a long long time ago and my memory's non to good, but i'm sure Lotus developed something like this back in the 80's. I remember they were working on an Esprit that could lean into fast corners, and have absolutely no roll in slower corners. (although it could'nt jump over walls)

Never really caught on in the road car at that time, dont think the test drivers were too impressed with the odd sensation it created in the car, but i think a similar system was used for the late 80's Senna/Piquet F1 car.

Been trying to find something about that Esprit on the net, but without success.

Any other old timer remember this ?

Faint memories here too, some F1 teams indeed adopted system, imo. But naturally it got banned later.

Something from it there:
http://www.autozine.org/techni ... sion/tech_suspension3.htm
Citroen Xantia (or was it the XM) had active ride suspension, and of course the earlier CX's hydraulic suspension was designed to lean into corners. The hydraulic suspension they showed in that video was designed to roll because, as mentioned above, it's what we as drivers want from cars.
Quote from JTbo :But that is nothing new when we look today's big family cars (or even any modern family car / SUV)

They call it good to drive when there is no feedback from road, never understood that...

i think you got me the wrong way round
i prefer if the other cars around me dive squat and roll so i can see where theyll go next (kind of like the old rf vs lfs debate which for me is largely about just that ... thread hijack ftw )
#14 - JTbo
Quote from Shotglass :i think you got me the wrong way round
i prefer if the other cars around me dive squat and roll so i can see where theyll go next (kind of like the old rf vs lfs debate which for me is largely about just that ... thread hijack ftw )

Motorcycles roll wrong side and car right side, or was it other way around, anyway there is roll, I doubt that there would be car without roll even with active suspension as it is more comfortable to lean into turn
Quote from JTbo :Something from it there:
http://www.autozine.org/techni ... sion/tech_suspension3.htm

Wow great find JTbo

Thats it, fully active suspension !, great read, especially "Cornering at 200mph" used to Team Lotus's slogan when defending this technology
But, "As the active suspension reduced tyre's slip angle, the tyres generated insufficient heat to attain the necessary working temperature". guess thats why it never caught on, tyre manufacturers were unwilling to develop the required tyres to take the concept any further.

Maybe in the new Esprit ? who knows ?
#16 - JTbo
Quote from Mazz4200 :Wow great find JTbo

Thats it, fully active suspension !, great read, especially "Cornering at 200mph" used to Team Lotus's slogan when defending this technology
But, "As the active suspension reduced tyre's slip angle, the tyres generated insufficient heat to attain the necessary working temperature". guess thats why it never caught on, tyre manufacturers were unwilling to develop the required tyres to take the concept any further.

Maybe in the new Esprit ? who knows ?

Another problem might be that driver gets less warning, when it slips it is lost, is not most desirable handling characteristic in sports cars either
Not a French invention - Sans blague??

Body roll an inalienable right - Karts manage it fine, don't they? The old Lotus protos sound like they needed softer tires. Wow, is that the best complaint they could come up with? Who wouldn't ride the edge of tires rather than of both tires and suspension?
Cool! I lol'd when it did the jump!
Seen this on a German television show before, so this video is quite old .
Quiet old but still impressive!

As i speek french i've understood what the man said.
It takes 24 years of developpement to bose and use 4 magnetic suspensions coupled with an high speed calculator wich calculate the most stable configuration of the suspention at any moment. It can react in less than 1/20 of second.

Seems to be pretty nice and soomth but I totaly agree: it's not for speed cars but road cars since suspension is one of the most important feel input with wich the driver need to be familiar to realy feel what the car is trying to do and to tel you.

Still, it's an impressive technological advance. Good job from Bose (in boston) !! I'd like to have a try with these suspensions Maybe in the next incompatible lfs patch

I particulary enjoyed the "jump" feature wich can be realy usefull in lfs to jump the barriers

Those wacky frenchmen
(20 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG