The online racing simulator
Anoying pc problem, possible virus?
(9 posts, started )
#1 - robt
Hey guys, probably not the best place to put this, but as its not LFS related it didnt really fit anywhere else.
i have a very anoying problem! every time i go onto my C: i get a box popping up telling me to log in with my windows live id :eek: Problem is, i never had a windows live id (i still use the old 7.5 messenger) it happens about 3 or 4 seconds after i click on a folder. doesnt matter which one or where. Image attached. any ideas what it could be? cant really see anything in the processes in the task manager. i havnt downloaded or installed anything dodgy. and i run Zone alarm, AVG, spybot......u know. the usual. Help would be much apreciated!
Attached images
virus bug.JPG
#2 - arco
Look in "Add or Remove Programs" if there's anything related to Live ID, and just uninstall it. I also recommend you upgrade to the latest Live Messenger.
It's one of those awful side effects of installing MSN as of late, because Microsoft has been adding stupid stuff, you should try re-installing/upgrading to WLM 8, and tell it not to install anything but icons.
#4 - robt
Havent updated msn/live messenger myself for at least 4 months. And i do not want live messenger, all it ever does is change your settings when u change pc's. huge step back from 7.5 ill check my installed programs again.
#5 - Lible
I'd hazard a guess at an infected explorer.exe, used to phish for your msn details.

What this means is you'll have a job removing it. How long have you had the problem? If not very long and you havn't installed many vital applications since the problem arose, try a system restore to a date before you first noticed it.

Unfortunately there are very few ways of fixing an infected explorer.
#7 - robt
Not really sure how long its been. not taken acount of it til recently. dont think ive instealled anything major.............but dont think i have a system restore point either!
First thing you could do, try using housecall.trendmicro.com to check your pc, no matter if you already scanned with AVG. Try also Ad-Aware by Lavasoft in addition to Spybot, they complement each other quite well (although both are far from being perfect antispywares).

These are the things you can do without manual intervention/removal. There are some techniques to get rid of bad stuff, but they involve some knowledge that would be impractical to write down here.

These apps are increasingly harder to understand/use: HiJackThis, Autoruns, GMER, RKUnhooker. All of these software could help you understanding what's going on (along with Process Explorer/Process Monitor) and they do almost all you could need to solve the problem, but to use them and understand the output you must be able to separate good from bad, and that's the most difficult part.
#9 - CSU1
Quote from Albieg :First thing you could do, try using housecall.trendmicro.com to check your pc, no matter if you already scanned with AVG. Try also Ad-Aware by Lavasoft in addition to Spybot, they complement each other quite well (although both are far from being perfect antispywares).

These are the things you can do without manual intervention/removal. There are some techniques to get rid of bad stuff, but they involve some knowledge that would be impractical to write down here.

These apps are increasingly harder to understand/use: HiJackThis, Autoruns, GMER, RKUnhooker. All of these software could help you understanding what's going on (along with Process Explorer/Process Monitor) and they do almost all you could need to solve the problem, but to use them and understand the output you must be able to separate good from bad, and that's the most difficult part.

...or just install vnc and have a friend do it for you over the internets

(9 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG