The online racing simulator
Giving blood
(34 posts, started )
Giving blood
I went to give people some of my blood today (see, I can be nice sometimes - can you imagine what Kev blood would fetch on the open market?), and I was wondering if anybody else here donates blood?

Those of you who aren't ineligible to give blood for any reason, but for some other reason don't give blood - why not? Can't find the time? Don't like mechanical vampire apparatus sucking blood out of you?

You can always grow more blood, y'know.
Quote from thisnameistaken :(see, I can be nice sometimes - can you imagine what Kev blood would fetch on the open market?)

Probably less than the US dollar gets on the exchange rate

Quote :Those of you who aren't ineligible to give blood for any reason, but for some other reason don't give blood - why not? Can't find the time? Don't like mechanical vampire apparatus sucking blood out of you?

You can always grow more blood, y'know.

Don't really know why I've never given blood. I worked in the Chemistry lab at HJ Heinz (of the Heinz Ketchup fame, couldn't eat ketchup on anything for years....) and some fine looking young brunette exchange student (I was young too) came around and asked me if I wanted to give blood. Zoned out on her with her sexy accent, I was just unknowingly nodding my head yes. When it came time for me to give blood, I had a bottle of about 500 mL of 1M sulfuric acid crack and spill everywhere. It took me all day to clean it up and I missed giving blood. No one has asked me since and I'm not driving the hour or so now to bother.
#3 - th84
I tried to give blood one time, they said I couldnt do it due to the fact that I smoked so much pot. I dont smoke anymore though, so I will probably do it soon. My mom is a nurse and she is constantly telling me to do it.

BTW, (OT) What the hell is an elderberrie and how did Ziggy end up smelling like them?

edit: I found out what an elderberrie is (goggle FTW) but im still confused as to how Ziggy ended up smelling like them.
Give blood once a month when the guys come round to our local leisure center. Have been doing it since I was 18. And as I haven't had any tat's or piercings yet will continue as long as I can.
Quote from th84 :I tried to give blood one time, they said I couldnt do it due to the fact that I smoked so much pot.

Hahahahahahaha

Quote from th84 :BTW, (OT) What the hell is an elderberrie and how did Ziggy end up smelling like them?

Here.

Quote from Mackie The Staggie :Give blood once a month when the guys come round to our local leisure center.

I'm only allowed to do it once every four months - what gives? Maybe it's especially important that I don't die.
Do you get paid

I want to give blood, do you have to be a certain age?
I gave blood last time I was in Melbourne. It's a pretty painless procedure so I recommend going in atleast once, if only for the novelty value. (plus saving lives, yeah... that's a good reason too)

They've got my email address now so I get little messages telling me to come in again. They must like my blood (gave up pot years ago)

Quote :Do you get paid

If you're lucky they might give you some OJ and a pastie
A BJ and a pastie?

Not bad...

The pastie is tempting
Yeah, do it. It makes you feel a bit light-headed, but afterwards they give you a free snack and a beer (if you're over 18) or cup of tea or OJ. Trust me - one Coopers Ale after losing a pint of the red stuff is quite fun - a very efficient way to get sloshed They love my blood - it's A+! It's like totally the bestest blood there is. But there's never enough of any type, so get in there - especially if you have a rare blood type.

Here in Oz I think you have to be 16 or older (something like that - I actually work for the Red Cross but not with the blood service so I don't know jack) and not be pregnant, on certain medication, be sick or have come from the UK within a certain time frame (due to the mad cow factor). Check the Red Cross website - Aussies call 13 14 95 and ask about specifics. Kev's right - blood grows back. You've got nothing to lose!

/plug
Quote from Hankstar :Yeah, do it. It makes you feel a bit light-headed, but afterwards they give you a free snack and a beer

A beer?!?!? Really? And you wonder why we have these stereotypes about Australians. Jesus, over here if you so much as suggest you're going anywhere near a pub after giving blood they sit you down and make you read leaflets until you cry.

Quote from Hankstar :They love my blood - it's A+!

Yeah mine's the best type too.

In the UK you have to be:

Between 17 and 60
Weigh over 8st
Not be pregnant or on antibiotics, or have had a tattoo or piercing in the last six months, or had hepatitis in the last year, stuff like that.

It doesn't hurt at all (well, a sharp pang in your arm when the needle first goes in, but that only lasts a second), just an hour of your time waiting and answering questions (whether you've ever been paid for bum sex - in money or drugs - is my favourite one!) and then ten minutes lying around while they suck your blood out and that's it.

You can find details of the next blood donation session in your area here. If you're nervous take someone along with you - two pints is better than one.
Quote from th84 :I tried to give blood one time, they said I couldnt do it due to the fact that I smoked so much pot. I dont smoke anymore though, so I will probably do it soon. My mom is a nurse and she is constantly telling me to do it.

Did you explain to mom the reason you never gave blood?

I was going to state the same thing. It's been much longer than you that I've quit smoking the good stuff, but it's been that long that I've been asked to give blood as well.

Quote from Hankstar :They love my blood - it's A+

My blood is.... er.... well.... red. I have no idea what blood mine is. Probably still has too much of that THC in it even after all these years though
Quote from hisnameiskevin :A beer?!?!? Really? And you wonder why we have these stereotypes about Australians. Jesus, over here if you so much as suggest you're going anywhere near a pub after giving blood they sit you down and make you read leaflets until you cry.

Yeah mine's the best type too.

Beer. Bloody oath, crikey, strewth Ails etc. A very quick way to replace blood sugar, as long as it's proper Aussie beer like Coopers Sparkling Ale. 5.7% and full of cloudy yeasty sedimenty goodness :up:

Well Mike, my last donation was specifically to save the life of a stoner with the same blood type, so they gratefully accepted it - in fact, the patient specifically requested a pint of "A+ Hank, maaan" and wouldn't take no for an answer ...
They won't have my blood, for various reasons, it's bad
i cant give blood i got a disorder
Quote from Hankstar :strewth Ails

Hahaha. Welcome to Town of Fair Flamin' Go, Population: Alf Stewart. Please drive safely you great galaa.
It's something i have been thinking about doing recently. I absolutely HATE needles though! I'm a big girl when it comes to those sort of things... but i think its about time i pulled my finger out!
I give blood - over 25 times now

I personally believe that the only excuses are medical ones, that you fill in on the form (or get informed by a doctor). Being worried about needles isn't a fair excuse in my book (no offence Niki), because one day when you are receiving blood whilst you are trapped in a car as they cut you free you will fall in love with life-bringing needles.

Give blood. Because tomorrow someone you love might need it.
Niki: They'll give you a local anaesthetic if you ask for it, but you will look like a girl asking for it.

To be honest I'm not that comfortable with the sight of my own blood (not in those quantities, anyway!) so once they start with the needle I don't look. And I do feel a bit apprehensive and uncomfortable while they're nicking my blood but it's over in no time. And the blood service staff are always ace.
And you get biscuits/tea/crisps/juice for free. And an hour off work, paid (if you're me)
Quote from tristancliffe :Being worried about needles isn't a fair excuse in my book (no offence Niki),

Hence why i said i need to pull my finger out
Quote from th84 :I tried to give blood one time, they said I couldnt do it due to the fact that I smoked so much pot.

I had a similar experience once, they told me I can't do it because I'm too much of a waster. Amusingly I was with a mate who was told he couldn't give blood because he'd had anal sex recently. We both quickly and quietly left the establishment.
I have been thinking about giving blood for a while now. I am not afraid of needles and I personally think it is a good thing. I just have not gotten my arse down to my surgery to pick up an application form which is down to my laziness.

I am however living with a hepatitis c sufferer and there fore for me it would be wrong to give blood as I am in a high risk environment at home and it would mean I would have to have my blood checked for hepatitis c very frequently. At the moment i am only having checks every 6 months...
I don't think they'd let you give blood if you share a house with someone who's got any form of hepatitis. Most of the questions on the form are about hepatitis.

It might be worth checking though. You could call them on 08457 711 711 and they'll tell you.
#24 - th84
Quote from mrodgers :Did you explain to mom the reason you never gave blood?

Of course I did, my fear of needles wouldnt allow me.

When I was a kid I used to have these weird dreams..... that woman "Dorthy" (www.mess.net/golden/artist/scene5_7.jpg )from that show "Golden Girls" was chasing me around with a giant needle. Thankfully she never caught me.

Giving blood
(34 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG