The online racing simulator
Visible Tire wear
(15 posts, started )
Visible Tire wear
This is especially for the open wheelers. Watching the last Formula 1 race I saw how badly the tires looked, and I wondered, can that be done in LFS too ? I know there are still some things to be added and fixed before going trough graphical updates, but I think this would be a nice feature and not seen in any other game. I'm basically saying to add visible tire wear to the tires, so you can see the tires wear off instead of only feeling it.
Yeah good idea.

It may also be nice to be able to change the amount of wear on tires, through the car setup screen. So that you can simulate putting 'old' tires on the car.
NKPro has this feature BTW.
Quote from Markz :I think that's more than enough of a reason to implement this feature!

and it also works pretty nice, id love to see it in lfs
#5 - amp88
Blistering, graining, chunking etc would be good.
Yes, but before these effects can be shown visually, they first need to be implemented in the physics
Quote from Ball Bearing Turbo :NKPro has this feature BTW.

It has two or three states.

New
Half Worn
Quite Worn
Grassy

It won't show you flatspots, blisters, graining etc.

On first glance it looks like a great feature, but it's actually useless. A bit like the visor dirt thing. It's either clean or opaque - completely unrealistic.

LFS will do it so much better when it does it.
Ah, I see. I've never seen it, I always though it was better than that. What the heck is the use of that then? The way it's portrayed in reviews and such always led me to think it was half decent; thanks for the truth.
@ tristan & ball bearing. Lol i thought he went schizophrenic or something
I never thought about this, but it would be a really good idea.
This could be done by layering the tyre skin with 3-4 layers, which as the tyre wears, the top ones gradually become more transparent revealing the next layer (texture) which would show some wear. It could also have another layer showing graining. Its about the only way you could do it really.

Ven
Doing it like that (like nKP does) doesn't really tell you much. You won't really be able to see 'wear' from the cockpit, but you should be able to see the overall texture change (as the tyre is used, so it will vary as tyre loads change), darken and lighten. You'll also need to see flatspots (basically darker sectors on the tyre circumference), blisters (not simply darker or lighter, more of a texture change).

Each sector around the circumference, and each sector along the face needs to have independent textures, adjusted in real-time for either a different texture (fading into others), different brightness/contrast, and (eventually) different shininess.

If it's not done in real time (i.e. if it's done a la nKP) it doesn't really tell you anything useful about the state of the tyres.
Quote from AndroidXP :Yes, but before these effects can be shown visually, they first need to be implemented in the physics

It's not implemented? I raced at Aston missed the chicane and slid in the grass, on the next turn I immediately spun out.
Had an idea... obviously 2d texture overlay would easier to be made in real-time than whole tyre 3d model At least this would be more realistic in away that it doesn't give you 100% super accurate info (like the current F9 wear color indicators).
Attached images
f9_idea.jpg
Quote from lizardfolk :It's not implemented? I raced at Aston missed the chicane and slid in the grass, on the next turn I immediately spun out.

Yes, that is because your tyres got dirty due to the trip into the grass, which is indeed implemented.
What amp88 mentioned (which is the post I replied to) is not tyre dirtiness, but
Quote from amp88 :Blistering, graining, chunking etc would be good.

Visible Tire wear
(15 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG