The online racing simulator
To any would-be LFS Tweak developers
(51 posts, closed, started )
Quote from wheel4hummer :How else are you going to find the values to edit? How do you think kegetys found the values to edit?

I wrote a piece of code that searches for the function LFS uses to retrieve the pointer to the car parameters. This function seems to stay the same from LFS version to another (Unless some larger changes are made of course like a new car is added) so my "tweak" works with different versions automatically. Or, at least so far it has worked well as I made it almost an year ago, haven't touched it since and it keeps working...

Then there is of course the actual format of the parameters, but that wasn't too hard to figure out.
I'm guessing your IQ is somewhere around 140!
Quote from Shotglass :
not after lfs is loaded ... decrypting them all the time whenever theyre needed would be utter madness

What I meant that the three demo cars use similar values for same actions, like 12&13 for the turbo on-off toggle or 1-3 for the engine type. I think the "encrypted" cars use different numbers to toggle those things and it would be nearly impossible lottery to try to find them with simply trying every value one by one.
Quote from Azaazaa :What I meant that the three demo cars use similar values for same actions, like 12&13 for the turbo on-off toggle or 1-3 for the engine type. I think the "encrypted" cars use different numbers to toggle those things and it would be nearly impossible lottery to try to find them with simply trying every value one by one.

at least the engines displacement is stored in exactly the same fashion as on the demo cars
Yes. There are these seven car type values which can be found easily. Displacement, power, weight, gears, cylinders, redline and drivetrain (rwd, fwd, awd). But editing those affects cars in a single group rather than each car independently. Like if you find the values that edit FXO's displacement for example, you'll find it changes displacement of all cars in TBO class. Not 100% sure but I think the change affected LFR cars too. Finding values like how to change only RAC into awd or how to change BF1 engine into inline for example, would be almost impossible without any clever approach like what Kegetys has done.
Quote from Kegetys :I wrote a piece of code that searches for the function LFS uses to retrieve the pointer to the car parameters.

But how did you figure out what the pointers to the car parameters were? I guess you used a Win32 debugger or something.
Quote from wheel4hummer :But how did you figure out what the pointers to the car parameters were?

A pointer is just a pointer, it points to a memory location (beginning of the car parameters in this case.)
Being extra proficient in assembly and C is the only real prerequisite to stuff like this... Kegetys, you obviously have a pretty darn solid background in programming?

Wheel, a 140+IQ is probably not that uncommon among a few folks around here, and whilst I'm sure it doesn't hurt things, it's probably more experience than anything. I was measured above that and I know many others that were as well, and none of us are crazy 1337 Kegetys programmers
Quote from Kegetys :A pointer is just a pointer, it points to a memory location (beginning of the car parameters in this case.)

I know what a memory pointer is, I have programmed in x86 assembly before. It's what you use the es:di pair of registers for. es is the offset, and di is the adress. So A000:0000 is the top-left character on the screen. But there are so many values in the memory, that you are pointing to alot of different places. I am having trouble typing what I am thinking. I know how to read and write memory, but I just can't make a practical application of it.
The devs will never, ever tell us what values they encrypt (and for good reason), we will just have to find out for our selfs. Once something is in memory it's open for attack, (providing you have a processor and an operating system that allows for this).
#36 - CSU1
:spyoda:
why can't ya'll keep tracks of thems ip users?...

lfsworld, it has a list of S2 owners, ?
Quote from CSU1 ::spyoda:
why can't ya'll keep tracks of thems ip users?...

lfsworld, it has a list of S2 owners, ?

Not practical, and the devs would never allow it (And why should they give out the IP address of their users, it's a very bad practice.)

(BTW, my IQ was 136 when I was 12 years old, I'm 18 now, so I wonder what it is now ...)

Oh, and thinking about what you Azaazaa said about the values of the car and once you changed a value for one car, you would also change it for the whole class. The only thing I could think of in that case is that the devs are using that as a base number, and then doing some math on it to give you the differences between the cars.
#38 - CSU1
Quote from Dygear :Not practical, and the devs would never allow it (And why should they give out the IP address of their users, it's a very bad practice.)

ok, so it would just cost money to have lfsworlds servers manage a 'live check' system to check every single ip that connects to any lfs server, we don't even need to see the list, the host just needs to get the ok from lfsworld. As I said it would just cost money to accomadate a live system such as this.
Or you could read apart of the memory for the lfs application and see if the authentication bit is on or off.
Quote from Ball Bearing Turbo :Wheel, a 140+IQ is probably not that uncommon among a few folks around here, and whilst I'm sure it doesn't hurt things, it's probably more experience than anything.

Well, I am only 16, so that is part of the reason I don't know much. I have only been programming for 5 years or so. And, I haven't taken an IQ test before except those online ones, which aren't scientific enough.
I didn't mean that in a negative way, just pointing out that there's more to his amazingness than a high IQ

IQs probably mean little in the real world anyway
Quote from Ball Bearing Turbo :I didn't mean that in a negative way, just pointing out that there's more to his amazingness than a high IQ

I'm just used to getting flamed on this forum. :hidesbehi
Quote from Dygear :Or you could read apart of the memory for the lfs application and see if the authentication bit is on or off.

thats what the old tweak did and what wouldnt be enough according to bob
imho it would be enough as bobs idea is founded on the old misconception that a crack user is a lost customer ... but ... meh

Quote from wheel4hummer :I'm just used to getting flamed on this forum. :hidesbehi

we dont like ye sub 140 kind round here
Americans seem to set a lot of store by IQs. I think they are utterly rubbish. They mean nothing.

And, apparently, IQs are meant to stay the same for your whole life. You gain knowledge, but your intelligence (if there is such a thing) remains the same.

People with high intelligence might be stupid, and people with low intelligence might be clever. IQ in itself means nothing. Besides, if you do several IQ tests, you can get good at IQ tests, and artificially skew the scores. The only way to possibly measure it is in full exam conditions without practice or prior experience, and who actually does that?
Quote from Dygear :(BTW, my IQ was 136 when I was 12 years old, I'm 18 now, so I wonder what it is now ...)

It's probably something similar, IQ tests are designed to take age into account. My IQ is about the same.
Quote from wheel4hummer :Well, I am only 16, so that is part of the reason I don't know much. I have only been programming for 5 years or so. And, I haven't taken an IQ test before except those online ones, which aren't scientific enough.

Once you hit puberty IQ goes WAY down due to obvious reasons and doesn't return to a normal state until you turn 45 ish :lovies3d:

I'm obviously just kidding.
A high IQ means nothing more then the ability to process complex information at a fast rate. It doesn't make you smart or dumb. It just gives you the ability, with enough mental training and education, to be a bit "smarter" then the average bear.
I have an IQ of 147 according to a medical test done when I was 22 (26 now). I have graduated college without ever touching a book, aside from the books I read for either fun or sociology papers and managed to graduate with a 3.7 GPA average (it cerainly wasn't an easy school). I also speak 4 languages; 2 were learned out of need and the other 2 I simply liked.
So it would suggest that the higher IQ CAN help in terms of effort needed to accomplish tasks.
However, my brother who's IQ was rated @ 120 is a pure genius working as a scientist for a contracting government company (one of the nuclear programs he's forbidden to chat about). While he's always had to work hard to get tasks done, his dedication makes him much more able and effectively smarter in the real working world.
In other words, there are many more factor besides IQ levels that make a person "smart" and intelligent.
I hope you guys find a way to release a stable and license proof version of a tweaker program.

I've enjoyed previous versions a lot creating and driving my real car And let me say that I also miss the slick mod LX6 on slicks and FXR on hybrids are amazing

Great work
Quote from Eldanor :I hope you guys find a way to release a stable and license proof version of a tweaker program.

I've enjoyed previous versions a lot creating and driving my real car And let me say that I also miss the slick mod LX6 on slicks and FXR on hybrids are amazing

Great work

Me too, i have started a thread in our german board.
Im a "Tweakfreak"

here
Quote from Eldanor :I hope you guys find a way to release a stable and license proof version of a tweaker program.

Great work

in deed, im missing the fun by tweaking all the cars, like ve could on s1.

how far has you programmers developed the tweak program? ( my XRT could use 200 more HP in the drifting competitions )
I think this thread has served it's purpose. Thanks to those who helped me.
This thread is closed

To any would-be LFS Tweak developers
(51 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG