The online racing simulator
About the cockpit view!
(13 posts, started )

Poll : About the view explain in this post?

I'd like to have this view in LFS
I don't care
It would a waste of the devellopers' time
About the cockpit view!
Not to long ago lfs got the forced cokpit view option and it brought to the table the question "is the actual cockpit view realistic"

I already said what I'm going to explain but I didn't explain what I meant with images.

The cockpit view as we have it forces us to see 2 times the ~50 cm/20 inches space between our eyes and our screen.

If we move the camera forward we get rid of this inconvenient but we have a better view over the bonnet that we should in reality and it can be considered as an unfair advantage.

A solution to this problem could be a camera starting from the driver's eyes but focusing more on the windshield.

The cockpit view

The camera moved forward

The camera focused on the windshield
Well, technically the most realistic option is to use a FOV of about 30°, but it just doesn't make any sense in gameplay terms as it kills any sense of speed and you get very oblivious to cars besides you. I think the default cockpit view is quite okay, the actual problem is that a monitor is a very unrealistic thing for the viewpoint visualisation. The next best thing would be a triple monitor system, or even better one or multiple beamers.
Cockpit view isnt realistic. My IRL FoV is almost 180 degrees. People can see things from the corner of their eyes.
I cant do that in game. I cant even adjust my mirrors. So please dont force a view on me.
I think the default view is quite good and does what its ment to do. I would how ever like to see in Open Wheelers and most cars, the view from inside the helmet, hows that for realistic.
Please.... stop!

If people want this view in their cars, they will adjust it themselves!
Quote from CodieMorgan :Please.... stop!

If people want this view in their cars, they will adjust it themselves!

The point is that this view is not possible within the LFS view system ! No matter what you do!

I used photoshop to create the 3rd one.
I think the question has to be - why would you want to restrict what you can see even more? By adding the pillar in there (which if you ask me is too far forward anyway) and the roof, you're cutting off valuable field of view.

And with the camera that far forward it's like you're steering with your elbows. Also, you can't see revs, fuel or speed.
Quote from Dajmin :I think the question has to be - why would you want to restrict what you can see even more? By adding the pillar in there (which if you ask me is too far forward anyway) and the roof, you're cutting off valuable field of view.

And with the camera that far forward it's like you're steering with your elbows. Also, you can't see revs, fuel or speed.

The idea is to create a more realistic experience by not allowing you to see more than what you would see from the drivers eyes. The lost of field of view is a choice and this view is only proposed as an alternative to the second view if my first sentence concern you.

For the rev, fuel etc... You would see the virtual indicators as it works already for the second view I posted.

Whether it is a default view or something feasable through the view system i don't care.
Quote from Maelstrom :The point is that this view is not possible within the LFS view system ! No matter what you do!

I used photoshop to create the 3rd one.

Of course it is. Just set the FOV lower
Quote from AndroidXP :Of course it is. Just set the FOV lower

Nop it twists the picture and the sense of speed is different.
It would be the same for your photoshopped picture.
Quote from AndroidXP :It would be the same for your photoshopped picture.

It seems that you are right :dopey:
You can't try making changes for a "more realistic experience", then require the use of virtual gauges - it goes totally against the point.

The FOV is much more important than the ability to see the cockpit. Turning the FOV up to about 160 (similar to eyes IRL) on a single monitor looks horrible, so having these parts of the cockpit slightly skewed makes up for it. You can lean to see around parts of the car IRL, you can't in-game.
I also still think that the custom views there are way too close to the steering wheel. Unless you're one of those old women who drives with their chin on the wheel

About the cockpit view!
(13 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG