The online racing simulator
Drag [Lift] For Non Downforce cars
Maybe this has been sugested before , But i finditInterestng to put up

As far as i know , (AFAIK) (LOL) Does the car not stop accelerating , but you can here the Wind , And , There is no Such thing as Drag or Downforce or lift on the car am i Right , im waiting for answers till i go further
Oh damn Move this to Improvement Suggestion
#3 - Jakg
Quote from Dennis93 :As far as i know , (AFAIK) (LOL) Does the car not stop accelerating , but you can here the Wind , And , There is no Such thing as Drag or Downforce or lift on the car am i Right , im waiting for answers till i go further

...? The cars all have drag - iirc the drag for any road car in LFS is a CD of .25.
Just because the drag forces are not shown in the garage like on the cars with adjustable aero, does not mean the drag does not exist.

Jack is nearly right, all of the road cars do indeed share the same aero, the value stored is 0.4 however, which repesents Cd * frontal area * air density.
#5 - Jakg
0.4? Bob, it was you who originally told me about it via a forum post, i felt really 1337 knowing the exact number as well! You had to ruin it *evil eyes*

If you want to "prove" drag exists, then draft - with no aero that wouldn't work.
Quote from Jakg :...? The cars all have drag - iirc the drag for any road car in LFS is a CD of .25.

yes you dont proberly understand , if you run Tweak , take a Decent Fast track and try Spin the car , There is no Lift (Upgoing Drag) or is Drag the wrong word , im not so good at English names for that , There are no things like aeroBlowovers and so , On Downforced cars , There Should be the exact Differnt thing as it Was before if they turn around . just look Nascars they dont have much wings but they still Flip ? but i think , an Saloon at that speed would do that , but even More , then Nascars
Quote from Jakg :0.4? Bob, it was you who originally told me about it via a forum post, i felt really 1337 knowing the exact number as well! You had to ruin it *evil eyes*

If you want to "prove" drag exists, then draft - with no aero that wouldn't work.

Your right, it wasent really What i ment again , But like i ment like Cars dont only have downforce, They also have Lift.
Quote from Dennis93 :Your right, it wasent really What i ment again , But like i ment like Cars dont only have downforce, They also have Lift.

There is both lift and drag implemented, no-one knows what you're on about.
I don't think lift is implemented actually. Downforce obviously, but not lift. There should be some lift because of lower pressure above the car (faster moving air) and pressure building under the car. I began talking to Shotglass about this one day until a thread got locked (grrr Sam). Cars with spoilers should have a tad less since that's the point of a spoiler, to... well, spoil the flow off the back of the car so less lift is generated. There would still be some due to pressure under the car though.
#10 - wark
I think we should see lift and drag in the forces view.
Quote from wark :I think we should see lift and drag in the forces view.

Lift, if it were present, could be seen as the vectors pointing down getting shorter as load eases off the tires.
#12 - wark
Quote from Ball Bearing Turbo :Lift, if it were present, could be seen as the vectors pointing down getting shorter as load eases off the tires.

As can downforce, nevertheless we have them pretty little blue lines...
Quote from Ball Bearing Turbo :I don't think lift is implemented actually. Downforce obviously, but not lift. There should be some lift because of lower pressure above the car (faster moving air) and pressure building under the car. I began talking to Shotglass about this one day until a thread got locked (grrr Sam). Cars with spoilers should have a tad less since that's the point of a spoiler, to... well, spoil the flow off the back of the car so less lift is generated. There would still be some due to pressure under the car though.

What i ment , in some other way. good to see that ppl are Defending more than Agreeing (Or trying to help could be a great Suggestion)
Aha, lift. There is indeed zero lift in all cars in LFS. I have queried Scawen before on this, he mentioned a lack of real life data on which to base LFS figures. The necessary code is already in place (we have downforce after all), we just need some non-zero figures to make it do something.
Quote from Bob Smith :Aha, lift. There is indeed zero lift in all cars in LFS. I have queried Scawen before on this, he mentioned a lack of real life data on which to base LFS figures. The necessary code is already in place (we have downforce after all), we just need some non-zero figures to make it do something.

NIICE , So that will maybe be an soon Improvement ?
Quote from wark :As can downforce, nevertheless we have them pretty little blue lines...

Yes, true. Drag can already be seen as the fwd vectors shortening, what would be the point in drawing a backwards vector larger as the foward ones get smaller though? The information is already there. It would make more sense for lift though (when it's implemented) I agree, except where should it be when the force acts on the whole car? With DF there is a centre of force at the wing. I guess it could move depending on pitch or something, that'd be a crude way of doing it but it'd work I think.
o yeah , BBT ,

I have always been wondering , Is it you on the picture ?

Quote from Ball Bearing Turbo :Yes, true. Drag can already be seen as the fwd vectors shortening, what would be the point in drawing a backwards vector larger as the foward ones get smaller though? The information is already there. It would make more sense for lift though (when it's implemented) I agree, except where should it be when the force acts on the whole car? With DF there is a centre of force at the wing. I guess it could move depending on pitch or something, that'd be a crude way of doing it but it'd work I think.

Im agreeing
Quote from Bob Smith :Aha, lift. There is indeed zero lift in all cars in LFS. I have queried Scawen before on this, he mentioned a lack of real life data on which to base LFS figures. The necessary code is already in place (we have downforce after all), we just need some non-zero figures to make it do something.

I've read in the past that lift tends to increase with the square of the speed, and I know I've seen charts for typical road cars around the net before. In fact last time this came up I think I had numbers, like 1000lbs at 145mph or something along those lines, so the effect is pretty significant at high speeds.

Quote from Dennis93 :o yeah , BBT ,
I have always been wondering , Is it you on the picture ?

Yes it is
Ok Cool ,Your Goddam Muscled , Respect

Quote from Ball Bearing Turbo :...... In fact last time this came up I think I had numbers, like 1000lbs at 145mph or something along those lines, so the effect is pretty significant at high speeds....

Right on , Lift effects Standart Cars More than prober Racing ones, Well not if its the Old IMSAs. (OMG)
Quote from Dennis93 :Ok Cool ,Your Goddam Muscled , Respect

Thanks!
That pic seems to exaggerate things though...

Quote from Dennis93 :Right on , Lift effects Standart Cars More than prober Racing ones, Well not if its the Old IMSAs. (OMG)

I'm no F1 viewer (go Canada go :really but don't manholes on city courses have to be welded down so they don't get sucked up by cars passing over them? And I don't think that the IMSAs doing funky things was exactly due to the same thing a road car experiences... Isn't it something to do with AOA of the wings / undertray when the front comes up a little?
Quote from Ball Bearing Turbo :Thanks!
That pic seems to exaggerate things though...

I'm no F1 viewer (go Canada go :really but don't manholes on city courses have to be welded down so they don't get sucked up by cars passing over them? And I don't think that the IMSAs doing funky things was exactly due to the same thing a road car experiences... Isn't it something to do with AOA of the wings / undertray when the front comes up a little?

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLLO
Imsa Was The old Lemans League With cars like the Nissan R82P i think ? and the Sauber Mercedes Car They Could go over 400 km/ph/ 250 miles Ca.they had Massive Aeros , They just Forgot about the Lift of that , When they spun out
Quote from Dennis93 :LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLLO
Imsa Was The old Lemans League With cars like the Nissan R82P i think ? and the Sauber Mercedes Car They Could go over 400 km/ph/ 250 miles Ca.they had Massive Aeros , They just Forgot about the Lift of that , When they spun out

woops, I thought you meant these:
http://www.metacafe.com/watch/59270/racing_car_flip/
Quote from Ball Bearing Turbo :I'm no F1 viewer (go Canada go :really but don't manholes on city courses have to be welded down so they don't get sucked up by cars passing over them?

Yes, but that's a result of downforce If the cars were generating lift, the manhole covers would simply be pushed harder into their holes.

The lift forces should scale with v^2 the same as the drag...sounds simple! I think the problem with proper modelling of lift is that the centre of pressure (i.e. the point at which the lift force acts on the car) moves up and down along the longitudinal axis of the vehicle as the speed changes.

I would imagine that the centre of pressure would move rearwards as the speed increases for a car like the FZ5 but that for the XFG it would remain relatively constant. My reasoning for this is that the aerodynamics over the front half of the car (where the boundary layers are almost certainly attached) should be the same over quite a wide range of speeds. However, over the rear bodywork of a car the point at which the boundary layer separates from the bodywork (creating the wake behind the car) will move in accordance with the pressure distribution (which varies with speed). For a car like the XFG with a sharp corner between the roofline and the rear windscreen the separation point is likely to be found at or near this corner. However the FZ5, with its gently sloping rear bodywork, is more likely to exhibit some movement of the separation point and hence a change in the location of the centre of pressure.

If you hear a driver talking about the aerodynamic balance of his car not feeling right it can be a problem with the centre of pressure shifting around at various speeds, so it is an important effect.
Quote from StewartFisher :Yes, but that's a result of downforce If the cars were generating lift, the manhole covers would simply be pushed harder into their holes.

Indeed, I realize that... Not even sure why I brought it up; I think it was because he mentioned that lift affects street cars worse and it just popped into my head
If you fly upside down in the BF1 in LFS, then isn't it generating lift? I've never done this, but I can't imagine that the car would just fall.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG