The online racing simulator
Suspention Advancement - Coil Over Springs!
Maybe Coil over springs could be an addition to LFS for some cars like the GTR classes

you could add settings for how far appart the 2 springs are for each wheel, individual stiffness for spings on each wheel (or front/rear) and possibly spring rates

for those who dont know what coil over spring/suspention sets are
You have your normal spring and shock sets with all that stuff in there right?
well coil over system is 2 individual springs overlapping each other, but diffrent distances appart so... when turning, the heavy side hits the 2nd spring and increasing spring strength while able to maintain the softer setting for slower race speeds - also great for cars with downforce generators - at high speeds car will settle down onto 2nd set of springs to maintain its ground clearance better and springs can cope with extra load better!

feedback?
dunno about coil overs, but high speed and low speed damping would be a decent addition in the GTR class.

Heck, even the Yahama R6 gets high and low speed damping as standard now
#4 - wien
Quote from tristancliffe :I think you are talking rubbish

Even thought about taking up teaching? You always seem so patient and willing to help. :rolleyes:

hsshoura - While your suggestion is good, what you're describing is not a coilover.
indeed it isnt as i forgot what its called apparently

i wrote the sugestion late night anyhow

but maybe you can help tell me what i was talkin about?

Quote from tristancliffe :I think you are talking rubbish

can you explain a bit more?

Quote from danowat :dunno about coil overs, but high speed and low speed damping would be a decent addition in the GTR class.

Heck, even the Yahama R6 gets high and low speed damping as standard now

yeah, even something like that would suffice but it doesnt completly cover my objective

i hate having to set any GTR with downforce with such high suspention - it hurts handeling at lower speeds on some tracks

with this double srping set (for lack of better terms) you can set at your hight and after say 1 inch (however mm that is) of travel, it hits the 2nd spring which can be as stiff or stiffer than the main spring. therefore keeping the car from bottoming out!

that way you can have your GTR go 170MPH with lots of downforce and have it low to ground when you gotta smack those brakes for that hairpin
Quote from wien :Even thought about taking up teaching? You always seem so patient and willing to help. :rolleyes:

hsshoura - While your suggestion is good, what you're describing is not a coilover.

Im must Agree with you about Tristans Attitude
The term you're looking for is 'third spring' and/or 'third damper'.
'third spr.......coilo...und..... newwww...... soap'

uh... '3rd cup of coffee'!
Quote from BuddhaBing :The term you're looking for is 'third spring' and/or 'third damper'.

Third?

i thought it was a 2nd set of spring/dampers on same wheel... maybe its still called 3rd srping?

idk but as long as someone understands what i mean lol....IDK! i just wish i could convey my idea better

Quote from CodieMorgan :'third spr.......coilo...und..... newwww...... soap'

uh... '3rd cup of coffee'!

u okay?
What the OP is talking about is actually a 'tender spring'.

Tender springs are used either in the manner the OP explained, or when running lots of droop and a short main spring, in order to keep the spring in contact with the perches and not flopping around. In offroad buggy/truck racing, two springs are used more often because of the varying terrain and long suspension travel (compared to a road car). In this case, it isn't a tender spring, but a dual-spring setup...

The thing to remember here is that the springs work in series and not parallel, as with a bump-stop. If the springs are different lengths, the softer one will bottom first, and the rate will jump to the higher rate. So, if you run a 50lb, 1in long tender spring and a 500lb main spring, your rate for the first inch of travel will be 45lbs/in ((500*50)/(500+50)). After that 1st inch, the rate would go up to 500lbs/in, since the tender spring bottoms. With the right rates and lengths, it has the potential to work well for rallycross, but it's not going to help much, if at all, on a smooth track...as soon as you turn in, the rate will 'instantly' go to the higher rate with the setup I described above, thus really negating the point of the tender spring. Going with a higher tender rate, it will take longer to compress the tender spring, and thus delay getting to the higher rate...this is desireable with a rough track and lots of suspension travel, but not a for a GT-style car. Again, though, it depends on your overall setup and spring choices.

A progressive spring increases rate as it is compressed. So at free length, it may be 100 lb/in, but at 2in compression, it could be 400lbs/in. These are generally not used in race cars as they can get pretty complicated pretty quickly. It's much easier (in the real world) to tune handling with damping and roll bars than to try to tune with a progressive spring.

A 'third spring' or 'third damper' helps control the pitch of the car under acceleration and braking, and generally do not work in roll, unless the roll is accompanied by either acceleration or braking. It lets you run soft springs for increased grip during cornering, but prevents excessive pitch just as an ARB prevents excessive roll.

Hopefully this helps to clear things up a little bit...
Wow thanks man.

So according to you, my idea of 'tender springs' anret good for what i thought they were funny tho because i got this idea from the Saleen S7 (At speeds over 140mph, the downforce is so high that it settles down onto a 2nd set of springs to maintain stability - i heard this on some car show that was test driving cars)

but anyhow thanks for the clarifying !! maybe it would be too complicated using this kind of stuff in LFS lol

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG