The online racing simulator
Vista or Nvidia
(8 posts, started )
Vista or Nvidia
Two months ago i brought a laptop with windows Vista Premium on it, so obviously I installed LFS and it ran like a dream. In fact I have had no problems with vista on my laptop and you have to admit vista looks great. So I decided to update my PC, i brought a new motherboard cpu and graphics card. All vista compatible so i installed vista premium on to the PC thinking i would have no problems, until i installed my graphics card drivers then everything went tits up. After the restart all i get is a black screen. see problem here - http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=33671&st=60 i can only use the standard vga drivers until Nvidia sort this out. LFS won't work with the vga drivers don't know why.
my specs are.
windows vista home premium 32 bit operating system
cpu intel(R) core(TM) 2 6600 @ 2.40Hz 2.40Hz
memory 2 GB
Graphics card XFX Geforce 8600 GT 256mb PCI express
monitor TV philips LCD 28in with DVI-HDMI
Is there anyone here with the same problem and Have you got LFS working with the vga drivers?.
#2 - need
Try checking if there are BIOS and driver updates for the motherboard.
I had quite a few problems in getting Vista to run stable before the motherboard manufacturer brought out some updates.
Now it runs fine, and it's not crashed in over 6 weeks now.

The latest nVidia drivers are working fine for a lot of people, so I'd guess it's more likely to be something to do with the motherboard BIOS/drivers.
All drivers are updated and I still Have the same problem so it's not that.
When I had windows xp installed and i changed the screen resolution in lfs to a resolution that my monitor would not support a would get a black screen and the monitor would say no signal.
And that's exactly what im getting now. It's something to do with the DVI signal to the monitor.
my graphics card as S video out on the back if i switch to that on my monitor i can get a picture but with only 3 resolutions and i think the max one is 1280 by 1024 and i had a lot more in windows XP.
as for LFS when i try to run it with the vga drivers i get this message, could not detect any suitable screen modes.
The ones I have now are 800 by 600 1024 by 768 and 1280 by 1024
#4 - need
Did you update the BIOS?
#5 - arco
You won't get LFS running with standard VGA drivers. Try installing the latest chipset drivers and then the Nvidia drivers. Black screen and no signal usually indicates that the resolution is too high for your monitor. You can try and boot into safe mode and set the resolution to a supported one there.
the PCs all up to date.
by connecting two monitors to the graphics card, one with DVI cable and one with D- sub cable.
Downloaded the graphics card drivers and reset, the DVI went to the black screen as usual,
the D- sub worked with no problems. so it's got something to do with some monitors not being detected I think.
The only thing now is instead of a 28in monitor i have a 32in monitor stuck in my face. but to be honest LFS looks great on it.

thanks for your help.
#7 - need
Well it sounds like there's some sort of problem with either the DVI output on the card, the DVI cable, or the DVI input on the monitor.
Try checking them each out if you can.
If it's the DVI output on the card then you could get the card replaced.
-
(andybarsblade) DELETED by andybarsblade
The card and cable have been tested on a windows xp machine and all worked OK.
I have tested the imput on the monitor and that's working ok. so it must be software.
There Are just too many people with the same problem on the nvidia forum, I know that someone has had a reply from nividia and they say they are working on the problem, but that was something like two months ago, so I will just have to wait and see.

Vista or Nvidia
(8 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG