The online racing simulator
Minimum spec for a server
(5 posts, started )
I'd say you could easily run it on a 200MHz box. It wouldn't actually be usable for large numbers of players though. It will also depend on what else you want the box to do? InSim apps? Other daemons/services? What OS? Specifically these last few would make the world of difference.

I'd be surprised if anyone has any functional hardware floating about less than 400MHz these days...

You need to bear in mind that system resources generally don't hold the dedicated server back. Bandwidth and transfer does.
i just want to run a couple servers no insim stuff, 256 mb RAM and like 430 mhz something liek that windows 98 running XP
Quote from scoobyrbac :i just want to run a couple servers no insim stuff, 256 mb RAM and like 430 mhz something liek that windows 98 running XP

Do you have upload speed and bandwidth? Those things will cripple you waaaaaaay more than hardware specs. Hell I can run a server on my 7-year-old laptop that isn't much more powerful than the specs you quoted but my upload strength is only sufficient for 6-8 players.
#5 - Ian.H
Quote from the_angry_angel :I'd be surprised if anyone has any functional hardware floating about less than 400MHz these days...

PII 350mhz, 320Mb RAM running FreeBSD made for a great server before we got "proper" dedicated servers for our team

Actually, that PII acts as my router / firewall these days.

Downstairs though, I have a PI 75Mhz (was originally a 486DX) with 20Mb RAM.. still runs, although not much use for the most part.. but it's loaded up with win3.1, m$ office 4.2 and other such "oldies" :cool:

Regards,

Ian

(5 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG