The online racing simulator
Favourite race options?
(7 posts, started )
#1 - X-Ter
Favourite race options?
I've been trying to draw some interest to an endurance series called GT Challenge, with two classes on track. Problem is that I actually didn't get a single signup or even so much as sign of interest. This leads me to think that most people don't want to race for so long, or have forced driver swapps, or possibly it's the two class on track that scares people away.

So... I would like to set up a series that people enjoy, using the the GTR cars in one class plus the FXR and the UFR in the other class. Should I set time to only one hour? Should I take away the forced driver swap? Should I set up a tighter schedule or what? Or is two class racing simply out of the question?
I think its down to personal prefference and where you advertise your event.

Personally I have no interest in Timed Races, I would prefer to race for a certain number of laps rather than a time period. I have never done a driver change, so that would be interesting.

Im currently evaluating options for the next CRC Organised league and im very interested in doing something with Multiple Classes of cars, I think its interesting and challenging, but you need to really explain what its all about to your potential audience.

Let me know if the CRC can help in anyway, also visit the site, there is an Events Section thats open to all to post thier events within.

Good Luck!
#3 - X-Ter
The thing is that SCORE has hosted these kind of events for other sims, mostly Nascar Heat (with roadcourse mods of course) for a pretty long time. When I came across LFS and found it had a working driver change online (among many other superb features) I almost fell of my chair in pure joy. I saw the possibilities for simulated GT racing in an instant.

Almost all GT racing I know of has at least two classes of cars on track. FIA-GT has two, ALMS has four, Super-GT (former JGTC) has two, and my new favourite Dutch Supercar Challenge has three and is very similar to the American World-Challenge. Basically all vehicles in a class are competitive amongst each other but there are almost no competition between two classes.

So... One class would of course consist of the FXR, the FZR and the XRR. The other class would consist of the XFR and the UFR. Both classes race at the same time on the same track as in real life and before you know it, you got a simulated GT event with hopefully a lot of action.

FIA-GT use both time and lenght (laps) limit. The race stops after the lead car has reached the 500km mark or has done a full three hour of racing. LFS can have either time or lap races, but not both, so when I set up the basics for my little GT Challenge I chose to calculate the number of laps needed to reach 500km.
Sounds like a good format to me but alas I'm in a difficult time zone and without a good internet connection at the moment so not possible for me..

But hope u go well with it, I think it would make for some great racing.. If I could do it I would choose the xfr just for the pure fun of overtaking a few stray GTR's
This sounds like fun. I'm also not really into the timed races. It's alot harder to stratagize when a race is timed vrs when one races a set number of laps. I really like the idea of a driver change. One thing to consider is that it's very hard to get that many people to clear their callender. Especialy whith the time zone differences and such.

Anyway, that's my two cents.
Quote from X-Ter :Should I take away the forced driver swap?

YES!
Anything forced sucks.
Maybe what your attempting is a little bit too ambitious. The only timed race with a driver change I've raced in was in a well established league (AAL) which regularly gets 60 or more racers per round. There's a lot more involved with these sorts of races, mainly with finding a partner and having a set you both are happy with and also depending on the length of race there's being able to set aside the time required.
It's a good idea but the level of commitment is pretty high compared to even a normal league race, maybe start a bit smaller and simpler and work up to it. We (I'm an AAL admin) have had just the one 3hr race with driver swaps (compared to fortnightly 1-1.5 hr races) and while everyone really enjoyed it we'll probably only run one once every couple of months because of the huge effort it takes from everyone.

Favourite race options?
(7 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG