The online racing simulator
InSim message question (probably a n00b one)
Hey guys,

I'm sure I remember in the past being on hosts running InSim clients which send messages to the player which appear in the middle of the screen, similar to the way split times appear. I'm unsure however how to emulate this functionality.

My application forces certain players to spectate, so I want the message explaining why to be displayed in a prominent fashion, a fashion I don't feel the normal text messages provide.

I'm using sdether's InSim Lib, if that's important.
you mean like race control messages?

Race Control Messages : (big text in centre of screen)

/rcm MESSAGE :set a Race Control Message to be sent
/rcm_ply USERNAME :send the RCM to USERNAME
/rcm_all :send the RCM to all
/rcc_ply USERNAME :clear USERNAME's RCM
/rcc_all :clear all RCMs

I guess you just send a msg to lfs using insim with one of those commands.
OK thanks. I knew I was probably overlooking something simple.

So just to confirm how these messages work. If you wanted to send the message "Hello, world!" to the player DarkTimes, you would do that in two seperate commands, is that correct?

/rcm Hello, world!
/rcm_ply DarkTimes

So I guess with InSim you would need to send that message to the host, as opposed to that specific player?

Edit: OK - I've figured it out, if I force spectate and then show the message, then the message will not be shown. If I show the message then force spectate, it gets shown only for a brief second. I think I will need to add a delay before spectate, so a to allow the player time to read the message...
Yeah, I think it was the MSO packet. I'm not too sure though, havent really worked with lfs or insim the last 5 weeks. I think ill write an app which does this just for fun, but I've only started with LFSLib yesterday so dont expect greatness
Another way would be to create a large button with the button system on the users screen which will be shown even while the user spectates.
Ah yeah, thanks for the help. Sadly the race control messages won't work well within my program, I guess I'll just have to stick with the boring old chat messages.
Well, it's indeed this:

handler.SendMessage(@"/rcm blaaa");
handler.SendMessage(@"/rcm_all");

that sends a msg to all, but you get the point.

Btw, what geforz says is indeed better. The rcm system is pretty limited and with buttons you have a bigger flexibility.
Attached images
blaa.JPG
Quote from GeForz :Another way would be to create a large button with the button system on the users screen which will be shown even while the user spectates.

That's a great idea, thanks!
While I'm asking questions, here's a quick one. Does anyone know what model ID is sent when a player is using that horrific no-helmet mod?

Those people are just asking for an automatic forced spectate...
This is why we need an RCM and Sub-RCM packet!

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG