The online racing simulator
something simple to start with?
(29 posts, started )
hi, iv recently been playing with blender making models and looking at tutorials butnow i want to try something on my own, the only thing is, i have no idea what to start with. i want a car obviously but im a bit stuck as to choosing one that willnot require excellent skill, but challenging enough to help me develop modelling skills.

any suggestions?

i was thinking maybe a mk1 golf or a renault 5 or something like that, as its fairly squared but if anyone can sugest something easier?
Volkswagen GOLF 1.6 :P
A Lada. :lol:
Dont fool Lada, i have one :P
American muscle car (Cadillac or something)
Something with very distinctly seperate body panels. Generally, the more each panel merges and curves in with the others, the harder it is to model.
My first decent looking car was a Ford Fiesta MK2. They are mostly straight body panels, with a little curve in the middle for you to learn a bit harder part. I really recommend it. VW Golf is also easy to begin with.

Sadly I never finished anything off, I also made a mazda 323F once, looked very good but I gave up on the rear Zmodeler sucks, I think if I had a better program available I'd spend more time on it. I wish I had something free to model in with rectangles instead of triangles.
Quote from sgt.flippy :I think if I had a better program available I'd spend more time on it. I wish I had something free to model in with rectangles instead of triangles.

try blender. its quite good when you learn how to use it. and if i can use it anyone can. and its free.
hmmm, i was thinking of an audi quattro, but now i think il have a go at the fiesta. just one question, when people make these models, do you try and make the whole car as one, or make the seperate sections then peice them together?
I make each peice as seperate sections. It also helps you to create the joins between each panel.
A Nissan 350z might be a suitable choice. It has simple curves that flow nicely, plus I think it would be an interesting project to do.
ok, ive decided to go with one of my origonal ideas, the audi quattro from the 80s, nice and square. iv mnaged to create the front qing to the best of my ability, as im stil learning, and have posteda screenshot of it, next i think il try and make the front bumper, then duplicate and mirror the wing to peice them together. either that or possibly try and create the wheels. either way il keep updating my progres on here and if anyone sees anyhting that looks wrong to them, please do not hesitate to advise me.

EDIT: updated it a bit, managed to get wing, door and sill made now, i peiced them together and did a render (without any colours or materials ect ect.)
Attached images
wing.JPG
quattro so far..jpg
I remember Blender not working on my computer..

Good start, but I spot a few bumps kinda everywhere. Try to sort them out first. I'll see if I can find some of my old cars on rsc.
Okay, here are some cars I made, the first on I can't even recall making really, it's an opel tigra...
Opel

Here's a citroën, looks crap really:
Citroën

The ford Fiesta I told you about:
Ford

I remember making a Mazda 323F too, but can't find anything on RSC, gonna look around a bit.

Here we are, found it on a French website I used to visit.
Mazda

That should have been an edit, not a new post, sorry!
Lol, I looked a bit more around that French site, I also made a interior view mod for Mafia game, apparantly it got a rating 8/10 and it was downloaded 2456 times. I feel very proud now
nice work flippy. im going to try and make the rset of the side today, and the windows, and fix anything that looks wrong. the only thing im worried about is making bumpers and headlights, how would i go about even starting?
Quote from Captain Slow :nice work flippy. im going to try and make the rset of the side today, and the windows, and fix anything that looks wrong. the only thing im worried about is making bumpers and headlights, how would i go about even starting?

I never had a problem making the headlights and bumpers, but I was never able to finish the rear...

To make the bumper you just take a flat piece for you to start, and you go from there, just like the rest of the car really, I don't know how to explain it
ah cheers for that

ive finished the majority of the paneling on the side, i just need to run over it with a fine toothed comb now, and make sure everything seals together ect ect. pic below of current state.
Attached images
quattro so far..jpg
Quote from Captain Slow :ah cheers for that

ive finished the majority of the paneling on the side, i just need to run over it with a fine toothed comb now, and make sure everything seals together ect ect. pic below of current state.

Nicely done. I'm trying to get a hang of Blender, but I just can't do anything with it really, I made a panel, but I haven't got a clue on how to go from there. In zmodeler you just "draw" the vertices, but I just don't get how it's done in Blender. Even the tutorials aren't of much use.. I'll go through those again
Quote from sgt.flippy :Nicely done. I'm trying to get a hang of Blender, but I just can't do anything with it really, I made a panel, but I haven't got a clue on how to go from there. In zmodeler you just "draw" the vertices, but I just don't get how it's done in Blender. Even the tutorials aren't of much use.. I'll go through those again

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Blender_3D:_Noob_to_Pro

thats what i used. i only went up to modeling a rocket launcher for the jeep (youl see) and then sarted my own stuff. eventually il use it agai when i need something knew, but if you just put up with it and follow it like exactly then it wil be alot of help. even if at first you feel like your not learning you will.
I realised this is boxmodeling, and I never really did that before.. But I gave up for the night, worked a bit on something else in paintshop.
Quote from sgt.flippy :I realised this is boxmodeling, and I never really did that before.. But I gave up for the night, worked a bit on something else in paintshop.

ah yes, i forgot to mention the tutorial is on box modeling but if you simply delete the default cube and add a plane instead then just use the same techniques then its quite good to do. thats how im making the quattro anyway.

edit: little update
Attached images
quattro so far..jpg
It's looking good, are you gonna be modeling the interior?
Really nice progress, I wish I could figure out the working so well I could do that kinda stuff
I'll try some more tomorrow, today I achieved to add the blueprints and stuff, but one side wasn't working for some reason.
Quote from LineR32 :It's looking good, are you gonna be modeling the interior?

not sure. if i manage to finishe the exterior to a decent degree of quality i might have a go. only thing is finding referance pics.

once iv made this i might make something of my own design for a change. hmmmmmmmmm

EDIT: quick update, a roof, and glass. would of done more but i forgot to save it after i made the bonnet and other side so had to construct it all again.
Attached images
quattro so far..jpg

(29 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG