The online racing simulator
Pit?
(33 posts, started )
Pit?
How does the pit in LFS work? Do you request to pit?
There is no pit in command since we don't have any team managers or anything of the sort like some NASCAR games or F1 or Indy games, you just pit.
You drive into the pit area and stop your car between any of the yellow markers on tarmac (in front of the pit hangars). It will then fill the car with fuel, change tyres and fix damage automatically. Fuel amount and tyre change depends on the pit rules (in the setup screen or press F12 in car)
#4 - Juls
I got the same problem...I did not find where to pit, I believed you have to find the same stand you started from.

Once you know where to stop it looks obvious, but first time....
It is funny, because it is not written in LFS manual....or search does not give any result.
Yeah, really funny. When pitting was added in the S2 Demo, it took thousands of players almost, what, 2 seconds to work it out for themselves. The though process goes a bit like this:

"Hmmm, I need to pit. I'll go to the pitlane, that sounds promising. Oooh, what are these little yellow marks that sort of make a car sized rectangle. Maybe if I stop in them then the... yep, it works."

However, I think some peoples thought processes go like this:

"Hmmm, I is needing 2b pitted innit. WTF do I is doin now. I nevah bee RTFMing cos I is uber cool dorifto man. I just rite on net chat ruum an hope someone homie helpz mes out innit. boy is i cool, all dah ladeeez will luv me an my totel ingorenz."
Calm down Tristan!

Remember, when you look at the other games people play, i.e. F1 Challenge, rFactor, GP4 etc, you do indeed need to request a stop beforehand. For a sim, it may strike some as a little odd that this is an ommision within LFS.

At least Juls says he went through the manual and did a search beforehand.
Do you have to actually go down pit-lane? Can you just hit esc and chose "pit" while driving? I did this and it brought me straight to the pits..without going to pitlane. I hope that the devs make so that you actually do have to go down pit-lane and make a 15-18 second stop...and actually tell the crew what you want...like tires, fuel, wedge, camber adjust, tire pressure adjust..etc. It would be more realistic..and really should not require too much extra coding...most of its there now. Keep up the good work everyone..just got the license last week.and I really enjoy it.

Cheers
STRUM
#8 - DeKo
Quote from Strummer :Do you have to actually go down pit-lane? Can you just hit esc and chose "pit" while driving? I did this and it brought me straight to the pits..without going to pitlane. I hope that the devs make so that you actually do have to go down pit-lane and make a 15-18 second stop...and actually tell the crew what you want...like tires, fuel, wedge, camber adjust, tire pressure adjust..etc. It would be more realistic..and really should not require too much extra coding...most of its there now. Keep up the good work everyone..just got the license last week.and I really enjoy it.

Cheers
STRUM

well, yeah you can shift-p (or esc > pit), but you lose your position in the race and any laps you have done.

You can change pretty much everything you said in the F12 menu before you actually pit in. LFS works basically the way you describe it.
Quote from Strummer :Do you have to actually go down pit-lane? Can you just hit esc and chose "pit" while driving? I did this and it brought me straight to the pits..without going to pitlane. I hope that the devs make so that you actually do have to go down pit-lane and make a 15-18 second stop...and actually tell the crew what you want...like tires, fuel, wedge, camber adjust, tire pressure adjust..etc. It would be more realistic..and really should not require too much extra coding...most of its there now. Keep up the good work everyone..just got the license last week.and I really enjoy it.

Cheers
STRUM

if you do that it removes you from the race and you lose all laps previously raced.
Quote from Strummer :Do you have to actually go down pit-lane? ... going to pitlane. ... you actually do have to go down pit-lane

Nice to see an American using the term "pit lane" rather than "pit road", but "pit lane" requires a definite article - it's not treated as a proper noun.

Example:

America: "The car has entered pit road" (judging by the usage, Pit Road should be capitalised as it appears to be a proper noun, but I've never seen it capitalised, bloody Americans...)
World: "The car has entered the pit lane"

I have to stop reading articles about language parsing when I'm tired.

Cheers
STRUM

Hi Strum,

Drive into the pit lane, come to a halt in one of the boxes painted in front of any of the open garages (it's good etiqutte to stop at one of the last ones), and the crew will work on the car. Adjustments can be made beforehand by pressing F12, and changing your settings. Once the stop is complete, just accelerate away...
Quote from thisnameistaken :Nice to see an American using the term "pit lane" rather than "pit road", but "pit lane" requires a definite article - it's not treated as a proper noun.

Example:

America: "The car has entered pit road" (judging by the usage, Pit Road should be capitalised as it appears to be a proper noun, but I've never seen it capitalised, bloody Americans...)
World: "The car has entered the pit lane"

I have to stop reading articles about language parsing when I'm tired.

If people went around correcting everyone's speech errors, no one would shut up about it. Also, if everyone spoke PRECISE and PROPER English, everyone would sound like morons. Don't ask me for examples of how proper English sounds dumb. There are thousands, pick up an English textbook and read through it, you will realize how annoying it would get if everyone spoke that way. It's called slang because it's easier to speak that way. Deal with it. I'm tired of the posts correcting other peoples grammar. (The exception is for people who type in such bad English that the post is impossible to read. Or to people who type in l337.)

/end rant
Actually, if everyone spoke proper, precise English, we'd all communicate a whole lot easier and quicker, LESS people would sound like Morons, America wouldn't exist (what other purpose does it have other than to butcher the English language?).

People use slang not because it's easier, but because they don't know any better. Can't spell because? Then write cos. At least use an apostrophe. Unless you don't know what one is, or how to use one.

Of course typos can get into every post or sentence. I've probably boo-booed in this one. But the point is that speaking like a fool makes you appear a fool, makes your ideas harder to put across, and is bad manners to boot.

And by proper and precise English, I don't mean Shakespeare, and I'm aware languages evolve. But at any given moment there is a language that is prevalent and accepted - it is this that I am referring to.

Pick up an English textbook, and it is easy to follow. You might not get the jargon, but that is a separate topic within Language. You might not understand Automobile jargon, but that is not the fault of clear and proper English.
wtf, omg whaz goin on in here??????? i in da wron fo ruum?

sorry, i couldn't resist.
Quote from tristancliffe :
"Hmmm, I is needing 2b pitted innit. WTF do I is doin now. I nevah bee RTFMing cos I is uber cool dorifto man. I just rite on net chat ruum an hope someone homie helpz mes out innit. boy is i cool, all dah ladeeez will luv me an my totel ingorenz."

:ices_rofl - I never knew Ali G played Live for Speed!

Sorry, but I couldn't stop laughing as I read this - I could just hear Ali's voice in my head, plain as day.
#16 - Juls
Quote from tristancliffe :Yeah, really funny. When pitting was added in the S2 Demo, it took thousands of players almost, what, 2 seconds to work it out for themselves. The though process goes a bit like this:

"Hmmm, I need to pit. I'll go to the pitlane, that sounds promising. Oooh, what are these little yellow marks that sort of make a car sized rectangle. Maybe if I stop in them then the... yep, it works."

However, I think some peoples thought processes go like this:

I often play other sims. I was expecting some kind of "activity" where I should place my car, like in most other sims. As I did not find anything, I then assumed I had to drive the car in (or in front of) the garage I started from. I saw the yellow lines but how could I assume that stopping on ANY of these places would be enough?
Do you really think this is so intuitive and obvious in a sim supposed to be one of the most realistic ones, when cars can pit anywhere?

Can you imagine in your infinite wisdom and perfect knowledge of the absolute purest English, that even people with a normal IQ following a rational logical process could have some difficulties finding the pit as it is different from most other sims?

Paradoxically enough, you can not stand newbies and their questions, but feel obliged to answer them in an impolite way. Does it bring you an easy satisfaction ?

*And of course, you will certainly answer that it was some humor I did not understand, usual process.*
Quote from ans7812 :Also, if everyone spoke PRECISE and PROPER English, everyone would sound like morons.

You know that the phrase 'proper English', is actually poor English?

/end windup,
Quote from Juls :Do you really think this is so intuitive and obvious in a sim supposed to be one of the most realistic ones, when cars can pit anywhere?

hmm... but in counter to other sims is LFS not in the gold version! It is only the Alpha form of the game! If you think of other games there are often Beta testings, but we're still on Alpha! There can happen verymuch until LFS reaches gold status! even til' Beta status much can happen.
If you think WTF is it taking that much time to get to a gold status, realise that there are only 3 devellopers, and not one of EA's 100 Devs Army.

Goldstatus (german) = the final version of the game, sold in the shops before any patches are made
-
(tristancliffe) DELETED by tristancliffe : Not a good image
Apart from that, in the training section of the game it even teaches you how to pit!
Hello old chaps. I do hate to be a dreadful rotter and spoilsport, but I cannot help but notice that this entire thread has gone terribly off topic. Would it be awfully impolite of me to request that we traverse back toward the original topic, or at least leave this thread to die the death it surely and without doubt deserves?

Thank you ever so for your valuable time, what.

I can repeat it in Shakesperian prose as well if you like
What, what!
#22 - Juls
Nope, sorry. Anyone with an IQ over 6 could probably work this out for themselves. When we were all pitting noobs (when the S2 Demo came out) we all managed. It was only a few days later that people to lazy/stupid to work stuff out for themselves started posting stupid questions.

But in this case I just think you are trying to defend the fact you asked a legitimate but rather daft question.

Anyone with an IQ over 2 could probably notice I did not start this thread, I did not ask any question here.
Here I just wrote about my experience to say it is not as obvious as it seems and it is a pity there is not even a single sentence in LFS manual about where to pit.
I first tried to stop at several places in pit lane and unfortunately even if I stopped in the yellow marks area I was misplaced and it did not trigger the pit. Then I tried to stop in pitlane and press shift+P, then I tried to find the garage I came from and stop inside or outside. Then I asked other players in game chat, not in forums.

Briliant as you are (and arrogant...engineer?), you may understand that it is totally different when you run a game for the first time and everything is new, and when you already know the game and upgrade to a new version where yellow marks and pit were added.

It is unacceptable to be treated as an idiot for that. And it is unacceptable to treat the author of this thread like that too. Specialy in a forum for newbies. It is even more unacceptable to insist heavily as you do. What's happening there? Newbies have to apologize to ask newbies questions or should not ask anything or they get insulted?

I was about to buy two licences of this game to play with my brother. If buying this game means having to be insulted every time I ask something in the new players forum, I won't do it.
-
(tristancliffe) DELETED by tristancliffe : Not a good image for beginners
#23 - Juls
Quote from tristancliffe :Aha, clever clogs, buy you alluded to a question.

OMG...where did I allude a question?? I already knew how to pit when I posted! This is plain crazy...as I can see you will never admit your attitude is wrong.

If you give up on buying a game because of one person on an internet forum, then you aren't going far in life. What are you going to do when someone says you drove like a fool in a race? How are you going to cope with being crashed out periodically? Just buy the game, enjoy it, and realise that LFS is really a very simple game. There aren't many complexities to 99.9% enjoyment.

There is no enjoyment if I get reactions like yours on the newbie forum. It kills game enjoyment if I know I have something to ask and I can expect to be insulted. Why is it so hard to understand?

We still are in the topic. I wrote pit is not so obvious to find the first time (first post ever in newbie forum), you wrote I am stupid, all people who don't find the pit and dare to ask for it are lazy and/or stupid, I am stupid again, and if I don't appreciate a game where I get flamed for a simple remark on the newbies forum I am not going far in life. No understanding at all, just flaming.

After this experience, you may understand I wonder if it is a good idea to play online with such gentle people. Often forums reflect the online atmosphere...and you are member since 2003.

Obviously your reaction does not represent LFS community, but it seems many people agree with the way new players are treated here as they don't react. And this is significant. I will not forget to share this little experience and this thread when talking about LFS.

This is my last post in this newbie forum, I understood the punishment.
Strange, here a guy asked how to pit (I did not ask)...and that time you did not tell him he is an idiot/lazy.
http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?p=253948#post253948
These are entertaining arguments in "proper English", reading this thread makes a good start for a long day at work...
Thanks for the show!

I personnally found out only recently how to use the F12 pitting instructions, I did not find that so obvious as to deserve a public spanking.

Regards
Quote from creativesurgeon :You know that the phrase 'proper English', is actually poor English?

/end windup,

you are proving my point without even knowing it. you have obviously not read my post or have read it but not comprehended it.

@Tristan. I think you misunderstood. I am not arguing that spelling mistakes should be left uncorrected. There is no exception for typing like a fool. What I am saying is, if people spoke or wrote using proper grammar, it would not sound normal. If you compare the way people SHOULD speak, to the way they DO speak, you will realize it would be very annoying to listen to them. (No I am not talking about the people who speak like this: Where the game at? I be gettin myself over there before it be too late) There is really no excuse for speaking like that either.

Pit?
(33 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG