The online racing simulator
New Advert (Matrox)
(35 posts, started )
#1 - bbman
New Advert (Matrox)
Didn't know how to put it, but it probably gets the most attention here...

I just noticed the new advert from matrox at the top of the forum: http://www.lfsforum.net/images/banners/LFS_Th2go_Banner.gif

While I don't have anything against the ad itself (they sponsored a price for the LX-Compo afterall), can we PLEASE have a non-animated one? Animated .gifs get annoying VERY quickly...
#2 - (SaM)
Part of the deal. Besides, the other ads are animated as well. I simply just don't look at them.
#3 - Mc21
Just don't look at it then.
Adblock Plus FTW
All I see is:

[AD]

#6 - (SaM)
Heh, I see a blank space as well now. Got me some AdBlockage!
Its not like you see it for more than 5 secs, refresh the page and it goes
#8 - Kdovi
shhh not so loud
Looks like the advertising worked, seeing as how it got your attention, which is what advertisers want, you know!
Quote from ATHome :Adblock Plus FTW

Took the words out of my mouth.

Get Firefox and download the Adblock extension.
Hitting esc usually stops the animation.
Quote from DarkTimes :Get Firefox and download the Adblock extension.

Why should you have to install such a horrible excuse for a browser just to block ads? There's plenty adblocking software out there that works with decent browsers as well.
I don't block the ads as they provide a revenue stream for the Devs/LFS. Generally I surf around with adblocking in place, but if I regularly go somewhere then I'll take off the ad blocking. Seems fair to me.

If you're that bothered about animated ads then I recall seeing an option "play animations" some time ago. It might be IE only though.
Quote from obsolum :Why should you have to install such a horrible excuse for a browser just to block ads? There's plenty adblocking software out there that works with decent browsers as well.

What would you recommend? Opera... LOL!
Haha, I don't know but the internet looks exactly the same with FireFox and alot of stuff that doesn't work with IE, does work with FireFox.

IE is a sorry excuse for a browser. I always HATE it when Windows opens a link in IE. I usually just copy the link, open it in Firefox and close IE as fast as possible.

Oh and Opera is cool too, not as good as FF, but still far better than IE.
Ahhh, saying that FF sucks donkey arse never fails to bring any thread off topic, whatever the original subject may be. And you always immediately get people saying that IE is much worse etc... as if saying that FF is a horrible piece of crap means that you like IE

Well, I've successfully derailed the thread, my job here is done
Quote from obsolum :Ahhh, saying that FF sucks donkey arse never fails to bring any thread off topic, whatever the original subject may be. And you always immediately get people saying that IE is much worse etc... as if saying that FF is a horrible piece of crap means that you like IE

Well, I've successfully derailed the thread, my job here is done

Bah, amateur at derailing threads, I can derail a thread so well, that it gets divided from the original thread, the original thread gets locked, and our derailed thread becomes a new OT phenomenon until it gets locked.

To quote someone:

"If we post on topic it gets locked, but if we post off-topic the thread stays. Hurray for Sam's moderating tactics!"
oh noes, an animated gif, on the internets, what do we do???
Quote from Christofire :I don't block the ads as they provide a revenue stream for the Devs/LFS. Generally I surf around with adblocking in place, but if I regularly go somewhere then I'll take off the ad blocking. Seems fair to me.

Couldn't agree more. Also, you might use ad blocking (no idea why for this site though), but there's no need to shout it from the rooftops. A thread complaining about adverts and suggesting methods to stop them showing isn't really fair is it?
I see no problem in having it there, it's not even a popup or anything. Just a tiny moneymaker and we're chipping in a little by not blocking it. Or otherwise making a big deal out of it
You know what? Instead of complaining about the ONE advertisement which is hidden away in the corner, you could praise this forum for not having advertisements after EVERY post, or a large one at each side, or annoying popups, or those annoying flash ones which cover the page and you have to find the X to close them, or the ones which make noise and make you think the computer is talking to you, or the ones with the disgustingly ugly smileys, or Google ads which blend in with the rest of the page and you don't know if you're clicking a link or an ad. I can go on and on. You see? It's not as bad as it could be.
:iagree: It could be better. But it could be worse.
Point is though...

I never blocked the ads here by myself, I just use some filter lists, so I don't see 95% of all the ads
Quote from Christofire :I don't block the ads as they provide a revenue stream for the Devs/LFS. Generally I surf around with adblocking in place, but if I regularly go somewhere then I'll take off the ad blocking. Seems fair to me.

Just a note - we don't get any revenue for any of our adverts. All the ads here are for websites that are directly beneficial to the LFS community.

We have these banners for one reason only : so you may discover LFS community websites that you wouldn't otherwise have found out about.

The new Matrox one is different as it's not a community website. It's a Matrox advert (which is still relevant to racing) and they will be making a special LFS item on their site.
Quote from Scawen :Just a note - we don't get any revenue for any of our adverts. All the ads here are for websites that are directly beneficial to the LFS community.

We have these banners for one reason only : so you may discover LFS community websites that you wouldn't otherwise have found out about.

The new Matrox one is different as it's not a community website. It's a Matrox advert (which is still relevant to racing) and they will be making a special LFS item on their site.

Thanks for setting me straight. I assumed that the LFS-related banners wouldn't generate much/any revenue, but if Matrox/other manufacturers were to start advertising then I wouldn't begrudge it, or block it.

Yes, I hate spam in my mailbox, but I'm willing to accept that adverts provide money that will help the things I'm interested in to keep going.

New Advert (Matrox)
(35 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG