The online racing simulator
Live For Restarts
(19 posts, started )
Live For Restarts
nerf the restart button
force it so you can only restart after so many laps are complete. good to have a race shaken up a bit and people learning to improvise on situations, would get most people taking t1 a bit more carefully seeing as there would be no quick fix. being clean ahead after a t1 crash or being right in the middle i've never went for a restart, people need to learn how to accept racing incidents.

best way ive seen a server setup was with reversed grid positions, that way the people that know what they are doing are behind and alot less likely to plow into everyone and gives a bit more adventure for the faster drivers. dont recall one restart on that server, shame ive only seen one server use it.
There is a restart time limit function - it was added in patch P2.

/rstmin=X :no restart for X seconds after race start

It's just up to hosts to use it. It's probably best set to 60 - 90 seconds, unless a host or admin is present, to get rid of nutters who can't drive safely round T1.
There's a lot of pro's and con's to this argument. Personally I like the idea of not being able to restart before a lap is complete, for the same reason you state: maybe it forces people to be a little less rash entering T1. I also see a lot of people begging for restarts just because they didn't quite get the flying start they wanted, or begging for restarts every time they make a silly driving error, at any stage of the race; that really bugs me.
However, for the deliberate wreckers, they would be able to create far more disruption in races if quick restarts were not possible.
Also if the pile-up was a lag problem or other fault, having to wait an entire lap of the longer circuits would quickly get on everyone's nerves.
Maybe best to leave as a server option, in the hands of the server admin, or at their discretion.
Quote from al heeley :Maybe best to leave as a server option, in the hands of the server admin, or at their discretion.

Yes it will always be an option, i've got no intention of imposing that rule. But just imagine if nearly all hosts used it. Then there would not be this frantic T1, restart, T1, restart, T1, restart, T1, restart, T1, restart, as found sometimes on some hosts. Why, because it would not be possible.

But yeah, the discussions about the pros and cons of this go on for several pages. Where's that old thread where we discussed it at great length before i implemented it?

My way of thinking is simple : We DON'T want it to happen, so DO use the function that makes sure it can't possibly happen.
well the more restarts the more havoc a wrecker can cause, only solution would be a vote for people like that but i'm guessing its all be said before.

did a quick search for anything recent and didnt come up with this topic sorry, guess ill just grin and bare it :P atleast hosts can make their server standout by being set to encourage good racing, just not enough seem to try.
But some people in the race wont complete a whole lap and just sit their. You could always kick em, but i think what we have now is fine (restart after an amount of seconds)
I find it rather annoying having that feature enabled:
Most of the grid is taken out or delayed significantly and only the top drivers could catch up w/ the leaders again. Instead of restarting immediately, u gotta w8 1-1.5 mins & by that time some ppl hav decided not 2 vote 4 the restart after all..
course it does hav its advs as well in some occasions

A much more efficient feature is the no-restarts-after-x-amount-of-seconds-after-the-winner-crosses-the-line (). Thank you for that. It allows ppl 2 actually finish races even if they're a lap or so down
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken
#9 - Lible
Scawen, this is very fool question, but how do you know that there is T1 restart T1 restart.... Do you race with custom name ?
Yes he does, but if you're a REALLY good boy, you might get to see the real Scawen online as Scawen. But he, and the others I think, tend to race with different usernames...
Online statistics for: Scawen

Travelled distance: 7559 Km
Fuel burnt: 239.45 Ltr
Laps: 1675
Hosts joined: 706
Races won: 26
Second: 30
Third: 25
Finished: 136
Qualifications: 18
Pole Positions: 0
Online credits: 2080
Drags / Wins: 25 / 1

EDIT : I think that he drived those laps when LFS was not released.
And what about his other usernames? Are they even recorded?
What's the harm in recording them, it's not like we'd know his other usernames is it
No I mean I'd like to see all of Scawen stats from all his alias's, but I wonder if he deletes the account (and it's statistics) when he's finished...
Quote from Michael Miskella :nerf the restart button
force it so you can only restart after so many laps are complete. good to have a race shaken up a bit and people learning to improvise on situations, would get most people taking t1 a bit more carefully seeing as there would be no quick fix. being clean ahead after a t1 crash or being right in the middle i've never went for a restart, people need to learn how to accept racing incidents.

best way ive seen a server setup was with reversed grid positions, that way the people that know what they are doing are behind and alot less likely to plow into everyone and gives a bit more adventure for the faster drivers. dont recall one restart on that server, shame ive only seen one server use it.

Good!
I think people have to learn to live with the decisions they make...You mess up at T1 -> try to get to pit or leave the race. The ones left in the race:
1....race on and no possibility to a restart
2. ...or they leave the race (no one left in the race) and make it possible for a restart.
Quote from Michael Miskella :

.......best way ive seen a server setup was with reversed grid positions, that way the people that know what they are doing are behind and alot less likely to plow into everyone and gives a bit more adventure for the faster drivers. dont recall one restart on that server, shame ive only seen one server use it.

That'll be Dead Men Racing then.
NO SHIFT+R!!!!

OK, I say that with a smiley, but I'm dead serious.

Let's see... five 11 race seasons racing with GPVLF2 league. A GPL league. A sim, that if you're familiar, never even considered a voted restart. So, five seasons, full damage, 1 hour races...

wait for it...

Not a single lap 1 incedent.

Ya know why?

No restarts.
Soo, what about disabling restarts and enabling automatic restart (if 50% cars get damaged)
In GPL a restart could be initiated by the server admin. Or, when the sever was empty the cycle would start over. Considering how people are using LFS servers (Thank YOU, Admins!) the voted restart makes a lot of sense.

I was simply trying to make a point. And I think it's valid. 55 races, no L1 contact. Same types of people that are racing LFS, normal people. And the sim was much harder to come to terms with. It is nothing more than a mindset, an attitude. Respect.

The only time you should be taking anyone out is in a legitimate battle for position. L1 T1 is not legitimate. If it's no battle, then of course. Like if someone misses a shift, doesn't get off the line, brakes 5 meters early...

I can't see the 50% rule working because that's a typical LFS public server T2 count.

Live For Restarts
(19 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG