The online racing simulator
My Fault or His....
(37 posts, started )
#1 - br0nd
My Fault or His....
There has been a topic made that involved something like this, and now I need you opinion if it was my fault or his.

Story:

I joined a server and the track was Blackwood. It was in the middle of the race. I came out of the pits (FOX) and waited until the cars went flying past me. After that I got on the track and started to drive. Once I got towards the end on the long stretch in Blackwood, a car pulls up behind me and I get a blue flag so I pull over to the right side. Then right when I do that, the guy trys to pass me and goes to the right as well accelerating. He hits me and spins out.

Whos fault is it?

I felt bad afterwards so I need you opinion on whos fault was it?

Thanks,
in my opinion..
its was an honest mistake.

IF i was to blame, i would blame him.. because since he had BLUE Flag, he knew you should get to the side and let him pass.

But, considering since you joined a server.. and theres many many many many many many many many many (you get my point), noobs.. they dont care about BLUE Flag.

If that was a race, such as in a League (not like u join outta nowhere), but if you had blue flag, it would be his fault since u got outta the way

but also depends when u got outta the way, if u got right when he was behind u and drafting u and going for a pass... that might raise questions

anyway.. if its a public server.. dont worry.. he's proabably in many crashes now thinkin he has blue flag and they'll move aside
haha
Well it depends where you pulled off to the right at the end of the straight. Was it in the corner already or way before that?
It would be better with a replay.

I always wait till a corner and I tend to run wide letting them take the racing line. Was it on the actual straight? or during the corner?

The thing is with letting them past on the straight, is it could go wrong. Some people ease off and let the faster car go around them. Or they ease off and move off the racing line, but if the faster car attempts to go round them as they move over, they will hit them.

Without a replay it is hard to tell. But a simple "Sorry" would of sorted the situation out. Dont feel bad, its racing mate. Accidents happen all the time. But it sounds like you were doing the right thing by moving over and there is no issue with whos fault it was...
#5 - br0nd
It was before the bridge, before the small turn to the right

EDIT: The dude started flipping out on me telling me to go back to single player....
I stick to what I said, regardless of what corner

EDIT after seeing your EDIT...

The guy couldnt of been a "true" racer. I real racer would of taken it on the chin and seen it as a racing incident. Its racing these things happen. Dont let this "noob" make you feel bad or anything like that.
I'd say its jointly yours and his fault really. If you see him coming when he's 50-100 meters away, pull over to let him past but don't do it as soon as he's up your ass because then he may attempt to pass you on the side you're going to (which you explained, has happened). Generally, just get off the racing line and slow down is the best way. If a driver chooses to pass you off the racing line, then he's just being stupid really.

EDIT: WOW! LOL! look at all of us posting at pretty much the same time
#8 - br0nd
@ Lee - But when I don't move to the side, they pull out the "Blue flag means move!" message

@ Leprekaun - He was sitting on my ass for a while like 10-15 secs...
Did I say "don't pull to the side" at all in that post?
Edited it - its was towards Lee
Thats why I wait untill a corner. For example, at Aston Club I will run a little wide in one of the hairpins and let them carry on the racing line as usual. Dont slow down on the straight unless you have to and you didnt really have to tbh.
ok, I'll keep that in mind

Thanks guys
I'm assuming it was in the FOX?

Regardless of what car, you shouldnt be going slow enough for him to have the speed and momentum to pass you on the straight and he shouldnt do if he is lapping you.

You should be going around the same speed, so just keep going as normal and run a little wide at the following right hander. If It was me...

If we was close enough, when leaving the chicane, I would stay to the right so he can keep to the racing line and pass cleanly.
If he wasnt that close, I would of kept going as usual and run wide at the right hander.

If he was spamming the Blue Flag message, or flipping like that, he should be the one practising in SP. He should know to take caution and not to blue flag message them anyway. I would say its his fault. You were doing the right thing by moving out his way, he should of taken more caution IMO.
Quote from br0nd :But when I don't move to the side, they pull out the "Blue flag means move!" message

That's why I block messages by pressing "-" when the countdown to restart starts LFS gives you a perfectly visible blue flag message. A decent racer won't need to have "blue flag move" or whatever in his chat bind list, because he'll know enough to pass someone safely or be patient until he can.

As for your incident, a replay would have spelled it out a bit better, but it just sounds like you were trying to do the right thing and it didn't work out. Next time, if there's plenty of distance before the turn, hold still and let him draft you down the straight. If you're close to the turn, brake a little early (but not too hard), let him go inside and take a wide line so you don't hold him up on the exit. I think more people would be annoyed at being blocked on their exit than having to pass someone while entering a corner.

So, be accomodating to faster guys but don't go overboard with it - that can cause more problems. If you do the right thing and give them room but still get flamed then that's not your problem - some people just have to realise the important difference between hotlapping and racing with actual people
@ lee - The first lap I always go a bit slower then regular because I wanna get the feeling of the track...
Did the incident we are talking about, happen on your first careful lap.
It was my first lap but on the straight I plowed right ahead of me
Lee, thats an "ok" logic to go by. Reason why I say go off the racing line and let them by because its the simplest way to do it and safest way to do it on a straight. If you were to apply that logic of going wide at the next corner, what happens if the driver behind brakes too late? that is yes, his fault but what I'm saying is that there is more chance of an accident happening in a corner than on a straight.
I feel there is more chance of a crash happening on the straight as there is alot of cunfusion caused. Like I said, Some people ease off and let the faster car go around them. Or they ease off and move off the racing line, but if the faster car attempts to go round them as they move over, they will hit them. By running a little wide around the corner it allows the faster car to carry on as normal on the racing line while you dont lose too much time.

Ofcourse, it depends on what going on out of the track. Logically, both mine and your ways are fine, but given the track, car, how busy the server is etc. They both work just as well as each other. As long as the faster car passes cleanly and easily, then mission complete...agreed?
Sounds like he only followed you over because he was trying to get a tow down the straight. He should've expected you to slow down, really, so I'm going to say it wasn't your fault.
on straightaways, its best to just be still if the other driver is very close to you. i remember one time i was trying to pass a guy that was blueflagged and he slammed on brakes infront of me. Try and be as predictable as possible. this happened to me some time ago

There's a risk with trying to draft backmarkers.
I think when you're on a straight, nowhere near the braking zone, just hold your line. The responsibility is on the faster guy to pass you cleanly. If he's drafting you, the last thing he wants is for you to zip over to where he thought he could pass you, even if you are just trying to help (sounds like that's what happened to you). Any driver worth their salt can catch a draft past a guy who's going in a straight line.
I don't see why he would be so mad about it. The way you described the race, you made it seem as if he wasn't anywhere close to the lead cars. I would never be so mad about losing, say, 6th place or something. If he was leading, it would be a different story.

Moral is: when you get a blue flag, just hold your line and speed, and let the other guy pass you, don't pull over to any side because you will interfere with the people who want to pass you.
On a straight I never move, I simply let off the gas once the person starts passing me. NOT before that as they might misjudge the distance and hit you.
If it's a corner, I either try to take it very wide and slow or go through it fast and give space after the curve (depending on the corner, car, track, etc.)
I will not go off-roading for anyone at any time for any reason.
IMO, without the replay, it's hard to judge who's at fault, if anyone.

Just don't worry about it too much....stuff like that happens.
Quote from gohfeld23 :On a straight I never move, I simply let off the gas once the person starts passing me. NOT before that as they might misjudge the distance and hit you.

That usually isn't the problem... It's far more likely the lapper is using the slipstream you create... Letting off the throttle then will almost certainly result in a nudge...

My Fault or His....
(37 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG