The online racing simulator
New Need for Speed -- Actually (choking) good?
Read the Wikipedia entry here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Need_for_speed_pro_street

Do you think that they're exaggerating, or do you think that Need for Speed will actually become a good simulation? Any speculation as to other things in the game?

With tons of real cars, amazing (near photo-realistic apparently) graphics, and probably a good storyline, this may turn out to be a good game. However, I would never leave LFS because of its great multiplayer.
I think new NFS will feature the macho bull attitude the previous games has had (nfsu's, mw, carbon) in the storyline characters. In that it will be a failure to any serious racer because it is not about the learning of new techniques or making friends, instead it will be only about winning just like the previous ones, only featuring extremes of characters and nothing in between. As if all the characters suffered from borderline personality.
What a disgrace to even mention words "simulation" or "realism" on that wiki page.
it will probably be like the toca series, simulating actual racing but still with the arcadey physics.
Thats just some text to lure 12 year olds to say "Oh man! did you see the new NFS game!!? its sweeet!" "The graphics are kickass!" then his clever friend says "what about the physics?" Kid: "Who cares about physics!? Graphics RULEZ!!!"
It looks good, thats for sure.

But why I'm posting is to get ahead of all of you guys before you go off about flaming and all.

If you look at gaming trends, I think the tuning games have gone down hill recently because there have been so many games all over the place. I think EA has decided to go this way to try to compete with Microsoft in Forza and Polyphony in Gran Turismo, and whoever owns Project Gotham Racing. You have to think of it this way: since that's what they're most likely attempting to do, EA's game will only be as realistic as the others, so yes of course it is going to be unrealistic, but look at it this way, atleast they finally had the sense to go somewhat back to the roots of what NFS was all about, gotta hand it to them for that, it's good to know someone there has the brain to turn to what the original gamers have been yearning since the release of NFSU.

It looks pretty interesting however. Graphics these days.. wow. It should be interesting to see where it goes. But if you ask me, if you look here I just see Forza written all over it.
from Need for Bling: Burnout Series to Official Dorifto Game? Hooray.
meh ill give it a try
Omg I always hate the Need For Speed series. Ricing their way to status! Physics for racing games is always in my mind now...
why does the US get the game before Europe..
Quote from EmilO :why does the US get the game before Europe..

America gets everything before europe
#12 - Jakg
Yes, Wikipedia, a bunch of people just like me who not only know the same, but want to look clever and make stuff up.

Wikipedia is not the ultimate fact.
It could be cool if they make it cool.

They don't... so...

It won't be good, it looks good on screenshots only.
And after 1.2 hours of playing you regret buying it.
yaaay it comes put the day before my birthday so im gonna get it
I never knew how they never get sued for misleading the public with those rendered "screenshots"...from the trailer.

Every time a hyped up game comes along they release this fantastic looking trailer that pretty much shows you nothing of how the game will be like, but still people believe it's actual gameplay.
^^ agree.

It's just that the screens are better than the game...

That is just bad.

btw: which NFS do you think is best?

/me thinks NFS: Porsche.
Quote from BlakjeKaas :btw: which NFS do you think is best?

I'd say it's definitely the very first of the series "The Need for Speed", because for it's time it was more of a sim than an arcade racer.
Quote from BlakjeKaas :
btw: which NFS do you think is best?

I think the best or the ones I had most fun with must be Need for Speed Original, Need for Speed 3 Hot Pursuit and Need for Speed Porsche

Only game of the series i did not play was the Need for Speed 2...

As for the new NFS game, they can't seriously say it will be simulation when they call it ProStreet lol... awful name. I am just expecting some less than arcady handling with damage.

Also have to agree with Kurent above, passing of rendered trailers as actual gameplay is bad!
I love wikipedia, I've edited the article for more accuracy, tho i'm sure the innacurate version will appear soon.

Quote :Gameplay

Need for Speed: ProStreet will take the Need for Speed series in the same direction it was headed before. Extremely unrealistic arcade gameplay. But there are a few changes.

Arcade style is back!

ProStreet will feature next-generation graphics aiming for a more photo-realistic feel, and basic physics that we are all used to.

It's back to how it was already
Its not a sim racer, but its a great fun game series.
I am waiting for donut/burnout trailer, because they are going to make realistic smoke, which belongs to drag racing (burnouts etc.)

Also damage, wouldn't be it bad, if you just bought yourself a fully tuned car and then you overrate your skills AND end up in junkyard hehe
The Original Need for Speed was the best IMHO. And it had many Simulation Aspects back there and the Graphics and Sound where unbelievable good. I will never forget the Viper Sound they did when you fully accellerated and then went off the Accellerator. It sounded really great. And the Multiplayer Mode over Modem was absolutely Stunning. I can´t count the hours I spent with a Friend "Online".

The Cars in NFS 1 behaved at least similar to the Real ones. The Testarossa with it´s Mid Engine was a real beast when the Back stepped out. When you drove the Porsche you could get that lift of Oversteer in Corners. And Accellerating / Braking was very good too. You could not stop in 5 Metres from 250 to 0 like in the later Games.

I loved that Game and I still have my Original NFS SE Version here in a box... maybe I should try if it runs under XP

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG