The online racing simulator
Incessant freezeups and loops
(29 posts, started )
So far, LFS has been quite reliable and hasn't crashed on my computer so far, which is a good thing. However, lately (for the past 2-3 days) the LFS S2X seems to have an annoying habit of freezing up mid game and either:

1. Gets stuck in a loop for a finite (sometimes long, up to 30 seconds) time.
2. Gets stuck in an infinite loop like 1. (stuck in looping sound and frozen picture)

These freezeups have never happened before and there have been no changes in software or hardware that I'm running for the past few months.
I'm rather perplexed at this and even tried downloading S2X from scratch for a test reinstall. Same problem.

Note these problems started only after I upgraded to patch X, so I guess it might be a patch X related issue. And all these freezeups occurred in single player mode, so it's definitely not online related.

Any assistance will be greatly appreciated, thank you.
Well, anyone has any ideas what's happening to my copy of LFS S2X? Any constructive suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Cleaned out your computer lately? Dust buildup on fans could cause overheating
Quote from AndroidXP :Cleaned out your computer lately? Dust buildup on fans could cause overheating

Yes, thought of hardware problems and no, there are no temperature problems. The computer works just fine for every other program, so I think it might be related to LFS's recent changes itself, though ATM I'll like some suggestions on possible causes to the problem I can't think of ATM. Besides, if that were true then all programs that are power intensive would be affected. Just rechecked the fan and it's reasonably dust free.

Wonder what other possible causes are...
Im having freezes and loops problems too.
Dont know what is causing it, didnt have problems before.
Quote from mike20002 :Im having freezes and loops problems too.
Dont know what is causing it, didnt have problems before.

Mine started with patch X. Same for you?

What makes me suspect that it's patch X related is the fact that my other programs no differently from before but LFS itself encounters these problems, and it seems to increase in frequency the more LFS is used. The fact that these freezes and loops NEVER happened before patch X seems to reaffirm my suspicions.
When you are running LFS, are there any other processes running in task manager which are using CPU power?
Quote from DaveWS :When you are running LFS, are there any other processes running in task manager which are using CPU power?

I usually close down everything accept the antivirus and other security related stuff, and what bugs me is that fact that I've run LFS the same way for a long time and haven't had a single problem with it before patch X.
LFS is very heavily CPU intensive game so saying you run other plication if doesnt proove anything unless they are very CPU intensive as well. Since Patch X and running on track with like 25-32 players make LFs even more CPU intensive game.

What is your CPU temp while playing LFS(temp at CPU load)?

Did you install recently any new software in your PC?
What about some spyware running in background or some unnoticed trojans.Did you checked your system in last few days for that.

Also be aware that LFS doesnt like at all to be running with some P2P programs in background.
Ok, I was on a server with 10ppl right now...
Computer freezed and then restarted, I have same applications on as before X.
I was monitoring my CPU and GPU temp, non of them was higher than idle.
Something weird is going on, I have been running X before today without problems...
But today I had 4 freezes already.

hmmm...
Same freezing/looping/garbled graphics with Patch X here also.
Never had any problems until X.
Quote from DEVIL 007 :LFS is very heavily CPU intensive game so saying you run other plication if doesnt proove anything unless they are very CPU intensive as well. Since Patch X and running on track with like 25-32 players make LFs even more CPU intensive game.

What is your CPU temp while playing LFS(temp at CPU load)?

Did you install recently any new software in your PC?
What about some spyware running in background or some unnoticed trojans.Did you checked your system in last few days for that.

Also be aware that LFS doesnt like at all to be running with some P2P programs in background.

I'm all aware of that too and that's why I leave only the security programs on. All these looping problems happened offline so I don't even bother to try it online as the lag could make things worse. And yes, I do update my antivirus program regularly so if there's anything that's there it should be detected soon which so far there is none, even though I scan my computer almost every day. And if there were hidden background Trojans, etc then other CPU and memory intensive programs such as Matlab would be affected too but they're not. Everything else EXCEPT S2x has this problem.

Just checked CPU temp and so far it's well within acceptable range. Besides, if temps were and issue it'll affect games such as Half Life 2 Episode One but I tried that and observed nothing abnormal.
I'm also experiencing freezes and loops especially when:

I join the track
I change car
I'm spectating and a driver who is using a high resolution skin I have in my skins folder is joining the track
The track and/or weather is changed (I've even lost connection twice on a track+weather change)
What PC do you have?
If your graphics card requires a direct power supply connection you should check your power supply.
Lower all settings in LfS and try again.
Maybe try disabling or lowering AGP options in the BIOS.
Update your motherboard drivers and the rest too.
Quote from SladiVadi :What PC do you have?
If your graphics card requires a direct power supply connection you should check your power supply.
Lower all settings in LfS and try again.
Maybe try disabling or lowering AGP options in the BIOS.
Update your motherboard drivers and the rest too.

Tried lower resolution graphics settings, simple everything, even increased sound lag tolerance. All that amounted to nothing. Same frequency of freezes and loops.

Again I stressed that my system has not had any major changes besides regular security updates and all my problems started after patch X. My current video driver has never had any problems before patch X too. Never had any of these problems in patch W. And again I stress that no other programs are affected.

Juts tested Half Life 2 a while ago and still no anomalies and no noticeable lag, as usual.
Quote from Jamexing :Tried lower resolution graphics settings, simple everything, even increased sound lag tolerance. All that amounted to nothing. Same frequency of freezes and loops.

Again I stressed that my system has not had any major changes besides regular security updates and all my problems started after patch X. My current video driver has never had any problems before patch X too. Never had any of these problems in patch W. And again I stress that no other programs are affected.

Juts tested Half Life 2 a while ago and still no anomalies and no noticeable lag, as usual.

LfS stresses the PC in a particular way. When I tried over-clocking, Prime95 would run stable but in LfS I'd get an OOS error for example.
I got the same looping error in 3d games and changing the PSU solved the problem.
Quote from SladiVadi :LfS stresses the PC in a particular way. When I tried over-clocking, Prime95 would run stable but in LfS I'd get an OOS error for example.
I got the same looping error in 3d games and changing the PSU solved the problem.

Hmm, could be a PSU problem then? I do notice that the PSU has been a bit unreliable, sometimes refusing to start. Happens occasionally. But then this PSU problem has been long standing (since March of 2007) and hasn't given me any LFS problems until patch X. Could be that the PSU is getting worse and I'll need to do something about it soon.

What bugs me now is that as I'm not the only one with this freeze and looping problem as someone here have also reported the same issue that showed up after the upgrade to patch X (CommunistFries). Could we ALL have be experiencing the same PSU issues?
Well, it's certainly odd. Did you participate on the test patches, or did you go straight from W to X?
Hey mate,
I have the same problem, was fine before patch X...
Seems to me there are quite a few threads of this nature at the moment. I started one in beginners when i joined, there is one in the programmin bugs section too.
Hopefully dev's will sort out some sort of fix or explanation soon.

IMO too many people have experienced this problem for it to an individual hardware issue...
Quote from AndroidXP :Well, it's certainly odd. Did you participate on the test patches, or did you go straight from W to X?

Did try out the test patches and W9 was trouble free. Then it started crop up very occasional with the latter W series test patches, so didn't take much notice. Finally upgraded to patch X and now it's at least 2-3 freezes per lap in SO city long.
Did you guys with problems have this on ConeDodgers servers or did the server have InSim messages?
Couse my problems dissapered when I went to another server... :S

The first thing that comes up in my mind is that ConeDodgers use InSim stuff...
Quote from mike20002 :Did you guys with problems have this on ConeDodgers servers or did the server have InSim messages?
Couse my problems dissapered when I went to another server... :S

The first thing that comes up in my mind is that ConeDodgers use InSim stuff...

All these freezes and loops happened in single player mode for me so for now I can't be bothered to get online and try anything else unless this problem is fixed. I'm also aware of specific server related issues but this isn't one of them, I think it's a problem mostly with patch X itself. Last time I tried running LFS to test it out (yesterday night) I had freezes and loops not just whilst driving but also whilst in the game menus. It goes along the lines of one freeze/loop every 1-2 minutes or so while in the game menus (all menus). Problem seems to get worse with time even with relatively little use recently due to this problem.
Have you got the test patches still? If you haven't got a better idea try to reproduce this behaviour in the W9 patch and a few patches after that. I too have experienced some freezing in multiplayer with the X patch. Sometimes the action halts for 20 secs of so but the chat seems to be usually unaffected.
Quote from kompa :Have you got the test patches still? If you haven't got a better idea try to reproduce this behaviour in the W9 patch and a few patches after that. I too have experienced some freezing in multiplayer with the X patch. Sometimes the action halts for 20 secs of so but the chat seems to be usually unaffected.

Unfortunately, I no longer have patch W9 with me so I can't test W9 out.
BTW, I wonder if anyone here still has S2 Alpha Patch W or even better W9? If so please post a download link and I'll like to test things out to see if these freezes and loops are really Patch X and latter W series test patches (W39, 40, 41, etc).

Thank you.

(29 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG