The online racing simulator
Dramatic FPS Drop
(21 posts, started )
Dramatic FPS Drop
I was averaging 30-40 Fps, But since Patch X, its gone dramatically down to averaging 10-20 fps, have no idea why, hope some people can help me. Ty in advance
#2 - garph
There could be loads of reasons, it depends on when you get this FPS drop? Remember that because patch X allows more people to race and so more stuff on screen, your FPS will drop because of that.
plz use the search button
many threads about this
i did use search, but all of them didnt highlight exactly what i wanted to find out
Patch X is heavyer, im sure since i have 3 LFS version here, i think its because the level of LOD! But the fps drop after updating to X is obvious for low spec computers, soo much that i cant play 'X' in my old computer, just 'U' or 'V' etc, and sir pls im talking about single player without Ai's.
Here is the main question, how did you get to Patch X?

Did you go straight from W to X, or did you download the test patches on the way?

That will make all the difference, and if you did download the test patches, then LOD settings are out the window (which those were adjusted anyways).
The LOD levels cant be lowered as much as before either.
#8 - vane
i think this has happened to me as well
ive done both, i updated from w to x

thhen downloaded x on its own to see if it makes a difference
Okay so you did make the jump. You may have to lower some settings then, also go into misc and change dynamic LOD up to 1.
no difference really tbh, ive tweaked a bit with the setting but not really any better expect the 1-3fps more
What are your computer specs and graphic card type?
ATI Radion Express 200M (I Know its not brillaint)

HP
AMD Turion 64 Mobile
Technology ML-32
1.58 GHz, 896MB of RAM

Btw - its a laptop
sorry but I am not suprized you get these problems.
Its due to you grahpci card cant cope with so many cars on track.

Patch X introduced 32 driving players and 47 players on the server as total.If there is so many cars you will get easily FPS drop on your graphic card.
k , ty, do you know how much a replacement one would be?
Actually its everything isn't really helping, LFS is CPU based so you deffinitely should be interested in upgrading int atleast something over 2 GHz, maybe even a dual core.
No idea what cores cost, but graphics card, you can get some pretty good graphics cards for around 100$ USD, if you look around you can probably buy some fairly good cards for cheap if you just search google.
ok, ty all for help!
#18 - vane
if this is what its like in x we will need super computers for the full version
I doubt it. Presumably what we'll need is a relatively recent computer, same as all newly released games.

Try running GTR2 or RACE and look for the same frame rates as LFS. It won't happen. This is because developers need to use the extra power for physics calculation (of which LFS does a lot) and AI and all the other hundreds of things going on while you drive.

At the moment LFS does not require a very new PC to function, but that doesn't mean you'll always be able to play it on the computer you got 5 years ago. As it gets closer to live date, more things will be added and these will require your machine to have more grunt.
Well this laptops only a year old :S
#21 - wien
Quote from RacerAsh3 :k , ty, do you know how much a replacement one would be?

You can't replace the graphics card in a laptop. You're stuck with whatever it came with I'm afraid. Replacing the CPU is generally rather difficult too. They're often soldered to the motherboard.

It's age really doesn't matter either. You can buy computers today that will perform horribly in anything but solitaire. If you want to play games, you need cough up the dough for a laptop with a decent graphics card.

EDIT: It's still a bit strange that you get that big of a drop in FPS when going to patch X though. Unless you're playing at servers with 32 drivers of course. That would explain it.

Dramatic FPS Drop
(21 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG