The online racing simulator
LFS economics for devs
(24 posts, started )
LFS economics for devs
I was just thinking about the business side of LFS since the devs need to eat and look after home/family etc...

Just wondered where LFS generates revenue/profit?

Clearly the biggie is the S2 licenses.

I'd guess somewhere around 10,000 S2 licenses have been sold.

That being the case it translates to revenue of £240,000. Plenty for the time being but as it's a one-off payment it doesn't lend itself to the devs being able to live and develop LFS for ever.

Clearly, it is worthwhile for the devs but also interesting to ask the question.

If it has been covered before I apologise.
Its £24 divided by 3, and maybe 4 (1 division for server costs maybe?).

But then Victor now runs that clothes shop, so that brings money in too
Quote from nigelpm :I was just thinking about the business side of LFS since the devs need to eat and look after home/family etc...

Just wondered where LFS generates revenue/profit?

Clearly the biggie is the S2 licenses.

I'd guess somewhere around 10,000 S2 licenses have been sold.

That being the case it translates to revenue of £240,000. Plenty for the time being but as it's a one-off payment it doesn't lend itself to the devs being able to live and develop LFS for ever.

Clearly, it is worthwhile for the devs but also interesting to ask the question.

If it has been covered before I apologise.

Seriously mate, who cares?, it's up to the devs to sort out there revenue streams, just like it is for us, would you lilke me to list my salary and my outgoings?, then we could have a little play and see where I can make some extra money..........

And yeah, it has been asked before.
People seem to forget that with a proper business plan anyone could get a loan from the bank

I'm definitely not saying this is the case for the LFS devs (and it's none of my business either!), I'm just guessing. But at least it's something I myself would consider - to ensure an income for my family during the development.
Quote from nigelpm :If it has been covered before I apologise.

Yes, it has. And it's more like 40000-50000 licenses.
Anyhow, if there is someone who has to care about the finances then it's the devs themselves - all that is none of our business.
Quote from AndroidXP :Yes, it has. And it's more like 40000-50000 licenses.
Anyhow, if there is someone who has to care about the finances then it's the devs themselves - all that is none of our business.

Clearly but it's still interesting to understand some of the background.

I'm sure everyone has some kind of interest in it even if they claim not to have ;-)

P.S. I'd be grateful if people could alert me to the specific threads as this is a classic instance where searching isn't terrible helpful.
#8 - Venus
Besides, who said anything about LFS being around forever? I highly doubt it will. Things change, people change.. computers always change... eventually, they will move to other things. That is as inevitable as the sun rising tomorrow.

Ven
As long as LFS hasnt reached the numbers of GPL, there is a continuos potential of buyers every day. So just dont care, that'll be enough people in the world to feed all of them and their families for quite a long time
LFS stock! :P

I'd buy some.
Quote from VTiRoj :Its £24 divided by 3, and maybe 4 (1 division for server costs maybe?)

you have to factor UK tax into the equation, all companys have to pay corperation tax and sometimes VAT also, then there are charges from the bank additional running, accountancy costs ect, I imagine that £24 is dented sugnificantly

The people who created and continue to develop this software, in their own unique way deserve our (the end users) support and our continual investment into this project
So tell all your friends and buy all your family licence vouchers for presents

SD.
Quote from Vykos69 :As long as LFS hasnt reached the numbers of GPL, there is a continuos potential of buyers every day. So just dont care, that'll be enough people in the world to feed all of them and their families for quite a long time

where I have been reading that already...?
Some copy&paste prolly.
I'm pretty sure we calculated that the devs each make about $33,000(usd) a year. That is one average though, when S2 came out a lot of the money rolled in. You should find the old thread with the calculations to get the numbers.
#14 - Jakg
Does it matter? Scawen makes enough to support his family and have an M3 - he deserves every penny imo.
I think we should stop discussing about this thing... let's just concentrate on the game because devs know what's best for them
Quote from Ovidiu23 :I think we should stop discussing about this thing... let's just concentrate on the game because devs know what's best for them

[friendly poke]

That post seems kinda awkward after looking your account status.

[/friendly poke]
Ok... I'll stop saying my opinion if you're considering it "awkward"...
I had the W3-certified 'friendly poke' tags on, so no need to get offended fellow racer.

Please enjoy the demo and take part in discussions.
#19 - CSU1
Id say Scawen has fecken nightmares about us with the "can the community help in LFS production thread" and now this one. Tell you all what we can go over to Scawens house and help out by doing the washing up and poking through his personal life. Leave the por fella be lads
Obviously it sells enough if Scawen afforded to quit his previous job
Some people around here are like the frickin' paparazzi. How are the devs' earnings anyone's business, or even relevant to the game? Sheesh. Get a hobby
#22 - CSU1
Quote from Hankstar :Some people around here are like the frickin' paparazzi. How are the devs' earnings anyone's business, or even relevant to the game? Sheesh. Get a hobby

thats hollywood for ya baby!
Quote from Hankstar :Some people around here are like the frickin' paparazzi. How are the devs' earnings anyone's business, or even relevant to the game? Sheesh. Get a hobby

he he.. And some are so damned tetchy!

anyway, I agree. Let's move on.

Meh. Tetchy, maybe. I just know I'd be sick to death of threads like this after four years or more

LFS economics for devs
(24 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG