The online racing simulator
Make LX6 a Race Car
(79 posts, started )
#26 - JTbo
Quote from Hyperactive :JTbo, your point being...? It is just a McGill racer with wings on it. And I guess the LX v8 was removed simply because the car would have impossible to drive. Like the F08 without wings and slicks

They planned to use wings with Mrt6, but they dropped them out for some reason I don't remember anymore :P
Take a look at the videos... Especially the one named "LFS MRT5 with aero"...
I think they used it for dev on the formula cars as well, and mc` wanted to try some aero stuff
I've said it before, but there's room for a racing-7 in any respectable racing simulation. It doesn't have to be more powerful than the LX6, though of course it could be (nowhere near the LX8's intended figures though), and it definitely doesn't have to be a V8. Just strip the lights, screen and roof, add a more motorsport looking roll-cage, and not-too-huge slicks/"all-weather"cut-slicks. Give it a revvy 4 cylinder engine, not too dissimilar from the LX4's, and put it in a class on its own. Maybe even give it only one tyre to choose from (if you were attempting to simulate a typical 7 series, you'd only offer one "control-tyre").

I think LFS needs more single car classes, with restrictions like tyres, and limited setup, not more cars to go in the classes we already have.
Quote from sinbad :I've said it before, but there's room for a racing-7 in any respectable racing simulation. It doesn't have to be more powerful than the LX6, though of course it could be (nowhere near the LX8's intended figures though), and it definitely doesn't have to be a V8. Just strip the lights, screen and roof, add a more motorsport looking roll-cage, and not-too-huge slicks/"all-weather"cut-slicks. Give it a revvy 4 cylinder engine, not too dissimilar from the LX4's, and put it in a class on its own. Maybe even give it only one tyre to choose from (if you were attempting to simulate a typical 7 series, you'd only offer one "control-tyre").

I think LFS needs more single car classes, with restrictions like tyres, and limited setup, not more cars to go in the classes we already have.

Now thats an idea I can go with!
slicks for the LX6, since the real ones often use slicks

I've always wanted slicks on the LX6. The stock tires are Avon CR500's, but no one races with these. The lowest grip tire used for racing seven replicas is the Avon ACB10 DOT tire, resutling in about 1.2 to 1.3g's of cornering force. LFS doesn't have an equivalent to this tire. Avon makes a Caterham specific bias ply racing slick, good for 1.4 to 1.5 g's of cornering force. Considering that Caterham includes slicks for sell at it's web site, it seems only fitting that the LX6 should also get slicks.

Tire products available through Caterham:

http://www.caterham.co.uk/aftersales/upgrades/mar03.htm

LX6 should also get more power

The 4 cylinder, 2.3 liter Duratech motor used on the Caterham CSR makes 260hp, a lot more than the 190hp of the LX6 in LFS. In the USA, where premium gas is only 91 octane, Cosworth makes a 240hp version of the 2.3 liter Duratec. I have a similarly tuned Duratech 2.3 liter based Caterham SV that I bought from a local Caterham dealer.

A web site with some nice videos of a Caterham in action

Unlucky guy though. He finally get's his early prototype, customed tuned Durtech motor running right at Spa and then crashes on radiator fluid spilled by another car.

http://www.jackals-forge.com/lotus/

pics of my caterham sv

http://jeffareid.net/ctm/ctm.htm
And if you try slickmod on this car, it is still a challenge to control especially under braking but its not damn-near-impossible like on road tires.

A full field of LX6's would quickly make us forget about the argument over tires.

And I'm not a 'noob' like some suggest because I'd like to see slicks on some road cars. I just don't have the time to practice on a much slipperier car fast enough to make racing it worthwhile.
I'm always for making LFS more realistic, so if RL lotus 7 replicas have (semi-)slicks, so should the lx6.

But I also think people should stop dismissing the LX6 as impossible to drive, it just needs a bit of practice and a nice set.

And as for "A full field of LX6's would quickly make us forget about the argument over tires.", I have a 15 man, 75 lap race at FE Club with the RA, FZ5 and LX6, but I think almost everyone is driving the LX. I'll let you know if we survived
Quote from RacingSimFan :near-impossible like on road tires.

Try this setup that I use for Blackwood for the road supers. A combination of swaybar and camber settings really helps stabilize the LX6.

http://jeffareid.net/lfss2/LX6_bl1_jeffr.set

Still, since the real LX6's have slicks, the game should offer them also. I think your point about a full field of LX6's is spot on.
Quote from bobvanvliet :I'm always for making LFS more realistic, so if RL lotus 7 replicas have (semi-)slicks, so should the lx6.

As previously posted, they have both, a semi-slick Avon ACB10 DOT tire, street "legal", but not really streetable, and the Avon Caterham Bias Bly racing slick. LFS doesn't include an equivalent to the ACB10 DOT tire, it's in between the LFS road super and the LFS slick.

An update to my previous post, there are some low powered Catherham classes using the CR500 street tires, but most Caterham racers use the ACB10's or the slicks.
A racing 4 cylinder on slicks would be best, like the Caterham R500.
JeffR, do you consider the R400 based "Caterham Challenge" category to be low-powered? (1.8 litre 200bhp at 7900rpm, running, guess what, CR500 all weather road tyres).
This is like deja-vu all over again. I want an LX with slicks, but the LX6 doesn't NEED them, it's a road car, and if it were a 190bhp race-car it still wouldn't NEED them in order to be a realistic representation of Caterham 7 motorsport.
Quote from sinbad :JeffR, do you consider the R400 based "Caterham Challenge" category to be low-powered? (1.8 litre 200bhp at 7900rpm, running, guess what, CR500 all weather road tyres).

No, but LFS has a LX4, the LX6 should be as powerful as the Caterham 4 cylinder CSR. Regarding the tires, as posted, those are the stock tires and what I have on my Caterham. However, if I were to go racing, I would use ACB10 DOT tires or slicks. My Caterham has the dry sump system which is recommended to deal with the high cornering g forces involved with the slicks.

Quote :This is like deja-vu all over again. I want an LX with slicks, but the LX6 doesn't NEED them, it's a road car, and if it were a 190bhp race-car it still wouldn't NEED them in order to be a realistic representation of Caterham 7 motorsport.

Well the FO8 doesn't NEED slicks either, what's the point? LFS is supposed to be a wheel to wheel racing simulation, not a fun run on a track day game. As I already stated most of the racing with Caterhams occurs with ACB10 DOT tires (no equivalent of these in LFS), or with slicks.

Caterhams are supposed to be race cars that are also street legal. These are not typical street cars. Most street cars would have issues if you tried to run them with slicks (oil starvation, wheel bearing and suspension loads). The Caterhams are designed to run with slicks (if you get the dry sump option).

and the bottom line, why not let the player choose which tires to run with? It could be a server option to allow or not allow slicks on any car.
If there ever was an LX8, it should get the same engine as the Radical SR8, which is composed of two Hayabusa 1.3 liter motorcycle heads paired up to a common crankcase to create a V8. 350hp.

A Radical SR8 just recently ran a 6:55 lap at Nordschleife.

Then again, a Radical SR8 would be a cool car for LFS.
I think we should keep road tyres on the LX's in LFS (until we get an LX8), and just improve the road tyre physics.

Also, I don't think saying the LX6 should be like the brand new CSR, especially as it's only just been released, but the LX6 has been in LFS for two years...

Please don't turn this into another "My names JeffR and I only ever talk about slick tyres on caterhams, oh by the way did I mention I've got one" threads. Most of us, and the devs, have seen it a million times.

Oh, and the Formula cars should have slicks, cos they do. Road cars, like LX's should have road tyres. I'd rather have a caterham on road supers than slicks anyday.... Just a shame my dad sold his. But then, he might get an F40 to race the Stratos soon (no race, I know)
Quote from tristancliffe :Also, I don't think saying the LX6 should be like the brand new CSR, especially as it's only just been released, but the LX6 has been in LFS for two years...

and so has the superlight 500, a 4 cylinder with 230hp.

Quote :Please don't turn this into another my names JeffR...

Please note that I didn't start this thread. Several players would like slicks for all cars, a few more would like slicks on the LX6. None of this has anything to do with actually owning a seven replica, just the fact that seven replicas are supposed to be track cars, and unlike street cars, they are designed to run with slicks.

Quote :Road cars, like LX's should have road tyres.

Most people don't consider LX's to be road cars, most consider them to be track cars that are street legal. This is also the way the cars are marketed. How many road cars weigh less than 1200 lbs, consider a heater and windshield (instead of windscreen) as options, and don't offer air conditioning, a radio, cruise control, abs, or a lot of other things you find as an option on most road cars.
Quote from JeffR :
Well the FO8 doesn't NEED slicks either, what's the point?

True, the FO8 could have grooved tyres like in GP2. As long as there's a real-world reason for something being as it is, I don't mind, hence why I don't mind the current LX cars having high-performance road-tyres.
I think it would be good if we had more 7 style cars, 4 seems a good number to me if you want to cover all the bases (excessive? maybe. a good idea? I'm for it ):

* 1.8ltr I4 model, around 140bhp at 6500rpm, road tyres, normal weight
* 1.1ltr I4 model, around 170bhp at 11,000rpm, road tyres, less weight due to bike engine
* 2.0ltr I4 model, around 250bhp at 8000rpm, race tyres, slightly reduced weight
and finally either:
* 4.0ltr Rover V8, around 240bhp at 6000rpm, race tyres, a bit heavier than normal (plus a very different character)
or
* 2.6ltr RPA V8, around 360bhp at 10,500rpm, race tyres (only fun if we can actually put the power down)

It's the only way to keep everyone happy. You could even have a 7 style challenge in the game where you progress through the cars?
All that involves more Lotus style cars is good for me
Quote from sinbad :As long as there's a real-world reason for something being as it is, I don't mind, hence why I don't mind the current LX cars having high-performance road-tyres.

But in the real world, LX owners have the option of running with slicks, and many do.

It's not a biggy for me, with all the games out just now, I don't play any of them online much, and there's already a slick mode for LFS S2. However other players here are wanting to race the LX6 online with slicks, and I agree with them and offer supporting reaons for doing so, so far to no avail.

Maybe I'm a bit touchy on this one, becaue of a similar problem with Need For Speed Porsche Unleashed. In the car file, NFS5.CAR, one of the race cars, the 550, didn't have any tires at all in its list of available parts, an obvious bug and the only car with this bug. The parts file, NFS5.PRT had 3 types of tires specifically for the 550, normal, rain, slicks. With a missing key part, the game defaulted to a standard tire. The fix was simple, and could be done via a savegame without changing any acutal game files, but some vocal opponents claimed they didnt' want any non EA changes even though the game was abandonware by then. So this meant the entire online community was stuck with a race car that didn't have slicks, because of opposition from a small, but vocal group. (Note that all other cars in NFS Porsche Unleashed have slicks as a tire option, from the 1950 356 to the 2000 turbo, only the obvious bug in the NFS5.CAR file prevented the 550 from having any tires at all).
Quote from JeffR :But in the real world, LX owners have the option of running with slicks, and many do.

Not in the R400 based Caterham Challenge they don't.
It's the old LFS problem, running road-cars as if they're race cars. On one hand, they're obviously not meant to be race-cars, they've been completely modelled on road-variants, and yet the restrictions are close to what a racing series is like. I'm sure lots of Caterham owners that do not race their cars make all sorts of modifications, but those that actually race them are, of course, not so free to do so.
Anyway, it's obvious you think slicks should be an option (read: the only tyre anyone uses), I disagree, there's more than enough premise for just using road-tyres, but I'd like to see a proper racing-type LX with slicks/near-slicks. There's certainly room for both.

In a slightly OT direction: I would like to see every car in LFS made more racing oriented, at least from an aesthetic point of view. Simulate racing-series', not just cars for us to race on the tracks. Give us roll-cages and fire-extinguishers and harnesses, tape over the lights and towing eyes etc.....then decide on what sort of regulations would be imposed in the class if it were a real series, and impose them in LFS too. I don't think it's enough to just make the car, give enough setups options so the community can make it handle ok, and leave it at that, not if simulation is the name of the game.
Quote from sinbad :In a slightly OT direction: I would like to see every car in LFS made more racing oriented, at least from an aesthetic point of view. Simulate racing-series', not just cars for us to race on the tracks. Give us roll-cages and fire-extinguishers and harnesses, tape over the lights and towing eyes etc.....then decide on what sort of regulations would be imposed in the class if it were a real series, and impose them in LFS too. I don't think it's enough to just make the car, give enough setups options so the community can make it handle ok, and leave it at that, not if simulation is the name of the game.

Agreed, and excellent idea!

I know Eric is working hard behind the scenes improving the car models (and track models too), so that when S2 goes final (which will probably be a fairly big update, rendering replays/hotlaps etc redundant) we'll get much nicer cars/interiors etc.

Many track bugs will be fixed (it's not just the .exe thats Alpha), and I hope (but this is me talking) that the helmet model gets a few extra polygons thrown at it (and that some of them stick).
With a few exceptions, almost every racing class allows DOT tires to be used. For lighter cars, this translates into about 1.2 to 1.3g's of cornering force, and the tires handle more like slicks than road supers. LFS doesn't have such a tire model, but this would be a nice addition.
I have one problem with this roadcar/racecar separation. Let's take the LXs for example. When there is series where these cars are used, they use racing tires (don't they in most cases?). But not all LX type real cars are made for racing, they are just a selfmade or a different type of a car, usually sporty ones. And these of course use road tyres. You can compare them with hotrods, the principles have something common. (flamesuit needed )

So what I'm saying is that some of the roadcars (the LXs, and sportcars in general) get much more track time than the others (GTi, GTT) in real life. Even the GTi are generally present in any trackday events, most of these cars never visit track. And when they get some tracktime, they change slicks or some other racing tyres.

Because we in LFS don't just cruise around and check the chicks, it would be more realistic if the LX4 had some kind of racing tyres. As it seems imho more like a racing car than the LX6. Hell, I would even make the LX4 a true selfmade racecar and leave the LX6 alone. Though the LX4 needed some more power, to be a racecar... But can the LFS handle these cars? Are they in real life so hard to drive? Even the F08 is way easier than the LX6...

Is there a car/s in LFS that compete in same class as the LX4 currently?

Make LX6 a Race Car
(79 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG