The online racing simulator
Speedometer question
(14 posts, started )
#1 - Reese
Speedometer question
Hello,
I'm "new" here at the LFS-Forum and sure, ingame too^^
Everytime I drive off the road (so I'm in the sand or gras) and want to accelerate, the speedometer (display) goes very high but I don't drive that speed. So my question is: is this a bug or not? Or is this real because the wheels spinning??

I know my english is not the best
MfG Reese
Welcome to LFS and yes the speed "increases" bacause the speed is measured off the driven wheels.
Speed data should be taken by GPS.

Then there would be as accurate speed as possible, but You don´t hav to know your speed, just drive faster than others.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I´ll buy that damn S2 someday!!

You get more cars and tracks!:tempted: You burn MONEY!
Quote from tonyonparas :Speed data should be taken by GPS.

We used to have that, but then it got changed to a more realistic measurement. Most real life cars get the speed from thw wheels (or transmission) anyway.
#5 - Reese
Okay thanks I was just wondering about that

MfG Reese
Quote from Reese :Hello,
I'm new here at the LFS-Forum and sure, ingame too^^

Your profile says you registered almost 3 years ago so you're not that new
#7 - Reese
I know this game since a few years sure, but I bought the game a few days ago^^ And I really enjoy that Before I've drive the demo from time-to-time but not that often^^

MfG Reese
i'd like the option to have both. a GPS measured or a wheel measued speed
i prefer it right off the wheels. since im a drifter i prefer to see how fast my wheels are spinning when im in a corner.
I dodn't know why people think GPS is accurate, it isn't. A measurement from the wheels is much more accurate as long as you do not have free spin.
Well, GPS is more accurate than police radar.
Thats not my invention. Someone just said so
Quote from dcToro :I dodn't know why people think GPS is accurate, it isn't. A measurement from the wheels is much more accurate as long as you do not have free spin.

This usually is down to the 10% contingency (I believe by law in the UK it is 0-10%) normally calibrated on road cars, leading people to think it is inaccurate. I rode my old man's police-spec Beemer which is properly calibrated, and there's a noticeable difference.
it's only 3 or 4 month's ago since we got the speedometer that measures from the driveshaft or driven wheels, everybody was whining that it wasn't realistic.
GPS is fairly accurate, often more so than some cars. As someone else said, a car can over-read by up to 10% (though they are not allowed to under-read). It can be know how bad your speedo can be, a friend of mine has an oldish car that reads 80 at 70.

Speedometer question
(14 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG