The online racing simulator
rate users comments
(10 posts, started )
rate users comments
i think it would enhance lot of the thread-making and also make people more concerned about what they reply on others opinions if we have a rating system for every comment. i know, there is a rating system for the topic itself, but nobody uses it.

as an example how it works, go to: www.derstandard.at. each newsfeed or story has his own subforum where people can make a comment. and also a easy to understand voting system for each comment (red and grenn bars).

it helped a lot to get rid of trolls and also helped to keep nicer and more intelligent discussions there compared to the time when there was no such system.

with the red and green bars you see right on the spot which messages you need to read and which are just stupid or useless.

maybe this is a bigger task for victor (or whoever runs the forums) but i think it is worth it, helping to cope with useless, insulting or stupid posts.
So did you rate your own topic with 5 stars?

We aren't in a hurry to see what is good comment which is not, we don't even have that much trolls around to spam. Rating the thread is enough because the idea here on the improvement suggestion forums usually lies there in the first post. I'm sure that people would vote every comment they disagree with as bad and which they do they would vote as bad, doesn't really get us anywhere any quicker.
with the experience of that other website it is quite the opposite there. of course there are some people who just vote "not good" to anything they dislike but most of the time people vote only "good" comments as "good" and stupid ones as "not good".

but people there are older in average so they use things as they should be used and not as a "revenge" thing. lots of people here just don't let any oppinion which does not fit their own be valid. and this is a egomaniac problem.

i came to this idea, when i've read the latest "drifter"-thread btw. where people who do not like drifting write against drifters not with arguments just with insults and stuff like: "waste of time".

but as i said before: it is probably the age of lots of people here, that predefines their behaviour.

like or dislike are no good arguments, they are an opinion. but people do not post arguments here, they just say: i like it or i dislike it which does not bring a discussion any further.
the WHY is the important thing.
#4 - Dru
i think the issue here is that the sense of peoples comments really do depend upon in which 'forum' it is...

for instance, drifting, new teams, new drivers, BTCC threads etc etc always have lots of needless posts/comments such as the type which Fisch has already mentioned.
You're thinking of something along the lines of the Slashdot system, I guess?

I could +1 that. Would certainly sort out a lot of the chaff.
Quote from Dru :i think the issue here is that the sense of peoples comments really do depend upon in which 'forum' it is...

for instance, drifting, new teams, new drivers, BTCC threads etc etc always have lots of needless posts/comments such as the type which Fisch has already mentioned.

true, dru. but isn't that good. the system already made me, not posting in a Apple-thread anymore on that news-site. because i'll never be able to convince an apple user to switch. it also saved me from lot of worries if i post to a thread which does not interest me and need to react on posts who tell me that i am wrong "just because".

its the same here: if i don't like drifting or whatever, then i don't post in such threads. there is no need for a crusade to convince everyone that rallyracing is the only place to be. (all examples are fictive).

it's like trying to convince a vegetarian to eat meat. LFS should be a buffet, where everyone trying what he likes or not and then stick to that. just because someone eats bananas and i don't like bananas, i don't go to his table and say a trillion times: "banana suck, i hate bananas, bananas are so horrible, try ham & eggs. ham & eggs is not for sissies."

ok maybe thats enough examples *ggg*
Quote from Fischfix :it's like trying to convince a vegetarian to eat meat. LFS should be a buffet, where everyone trying what he likes or not and then stick to that. just because someone eats bananas and i don't like bananas, i don't go to his table and say a trillion times: "banana suck, i hate bananas, bananas are so horrible, try ham & eggs. ham & eggs is not for sissies."

ok maybe thats enough examples *ggg*

What's wrong with bananas? Why don't you like bananas? Before I started eating bananas, I use to eat ham and eggs. Bananas are the same as ham and eggs. In fact, it takes much more skill to eat bananas than it does ham and eggs. I mean, ham and eggs you just pick up and eat where bananas you have to peel it just right so that you have something to hold on to. Ok, sure, you have to crack an egg or peel it if it's hard boiled, but that is still easier than peeling a banana. I don't see what all you ham and eggs eaters have against us banana eaters. Just stay on your ham and eggs servers and I'll stay on my banana server and all will be fine.

Oh, BTW, anyone have a mod for neon banana peels and nawz to peel a banana faster? Or how about spinner peels, you know, where the floppy flaps of the banana peel will spin around after peeling while you eat? That would be so cool!

Anyways, what is the point of this rating comments? If someone has a stupid post and someone else rates it, it's not like it disappears. The post would still be there and if I'm interested in the thread, I will still evenually get to that post and read it whether it was rated good, bad, or ugly. I just don't see any point to it. Does it take a shorter amount of time to look at a post rating than it does to see "waste of time" (as per Fischfix's example) and ignore that post?
I'm with Mike with this one, I really would like spinning banana peels...wait the latter part about the subject we this thread was about I mean!

For me that kind of system is for busy people who want to go trough threads quickly, but to get into a serious discussion you really need to read every post, not many people do that on other forums. Why not, but only if you can disable it.
i guess the topic starter should put the important comments in the first posting and he should update the first posting sometimes. There is no other possibility without a suggestion namespace in the wiki.
Seems pointless to me, I can judge if a comment is useful or not.

rate users comments
(10 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG