The online racing simulator
Ones and for all about drifting
(68 posts, closed, started )
Quote from mixer13134 :Naah, cruise servers are boring. I like to race but I'm not fast, I like to drift, but I'm not good. So I still do them both.:P

You own Dont care what others saying :P
#52 - JJ72
Quote from ZzeCoOl :s fter all i think it need more skill to have a car going sideways with 160 kh/h than just pass the same corner with 160 kh/h

Well if you are drifting pass a corner with 160kph....a grip racer can do 200 at the same turn.
Quote from JJ72 :Well if you are drifting pass a corner with 160kph....a grip racer can do 200 at the same turn.

true But this doesnt need higher skill (and we are speaking for open corners)
#54 - axus
Quote from ZzeCoOl :true But this doesnt need higher skill (and we are speaking for open corners)

Cool... Then how about you get within 1s of the Blackwood reversed XR GT Turbo world record and show us a replay?
#55 - JJ72
Quote from ZzeCoOl :true But this doesnt need higher skill (and we are speaking for open corners)

Why not? both are touching the threshold of the grip provided by the tires, although in a different state. To keep a car just sliding without going into a all out drift needs a lot of skill.

what the hell are you talking about? yes it does need higher skill! how many ppl can get within .5 of a second of most world records round tracks? 1-10? 1-100? 1-1000?. but i'll bet most if not all can go round slower but drift round corners. drifting is easy (for kids)
#57 - Jakg
Quote from ZzeCoOl :Isnt this faster? Sry but dont play the fool

What a moron

No, because while my throttle is advancing on the apex, i'm getting as much power down as traction allows me too - do you think going round the same corner with the tyres spinning really fast, with all the friction of going faster will help?!
#58 - Tomi
Quote from ZzeCoOl :Isnt this faster? Sry but dont play the fool

What a moron

no the corner is taken slower. It allow them a better speed in the following fast section, that's all. Slow in, Fast out. Even in track racing, it is often faster to take a corner slightly slower if it allow for a better exit. It also depends of the power curve and shifting ratios.

I also forgot to add that in the tightest hairpins, rally drivers grab the handbrake because of the steering ratio. They just can't afford tp turn the wheel to opposite lock.

By the way, did I call you a moron because I don't agree with you ?

as far as driving skill is concerned, I don't know about extreme drifts as they are done in D1 event, but in general, a self induced controlled drift is always easier to do than catching an unpredicted one.
Why do people keep banging on about it, its been done to death. If you want to drift, go ahead and do it, no-ones stopping you or flaming you for it, there's dedicated servers for it. On a solid surface getting the tyres loose is rarely faster as AndroidXP so diplomatically put it, so why start a thread to argue the point?

Personally I'll pop onto a drift server once in a while because its a bit of fun, like banger racing servers, but I don't go there with the expectation of going fast, setting new records or anything close to racing.
Quote from Jakg :look - this is TWICE you've shown you have NO knowledge of karting, so PLEASE just stfu about it.

I Kart, and yet i'm 15, and several members (Leifde springs to mind) have their own karts and their not in the 7-12 range.

Daxm..im a karter, but im 23... im OLD!
Luckily I have some tryouts in formula.. but due to life-issue, I give up
Quote from Tomi :no the corner is taken slower. It allow them a better speed in the following fast section, that's all. Slow in, Fast out. Even in track racing, it is often faster to take a corner slightly slower if it allow for a better exit. It also depends of the power curve and shifting ratios.

I also forgot to add that in the tightest hairpins, rally drivers grab the handbrake because of the steering ratio. They just can't afford tp turn the wheel to opposite lock.

You realy dont know what you talking about for the red part

and handbrake is a drifting technique so you agree with me here that drifting is a racing technique.

Thank you that you agree with me with not even know that you do
#62 - Jakg
I'd like to call myself a karter, but i'm not really - i race rentals in a sort of series, i lack the commitment, cash or skill to "go it alone" and get my own
#63 - JJ72
Quote from ZzeCoOl :You realy dont know what you talking about for the red part

and handbrake is a drifting technique so you agree with me here that drifting is a racing technique.

Thank you that you agree with me with not even know that you do

I wouldn't call doing a handbrake turn drifting, it's just a momental lost of rear end grip that's all. if that is drifting then is everyone a drifter?

just as if I take a esses in a kart, flinging the tail out as I do, I wouldn't call it drifting either, for me it's just part of normal driving.

I guess if powersliding = drifting to you, then yeah you can claim drifting is a racing technique, but in general sense...when one talk about drifting it usually means the show drifting like that done in a D1 show.
#64 - joen
Is it that time of the month again?

deja-vu

Oh, and to the topic starter: is it any coincidence you just signed up this username on this forum and immediately start this discussion?
Be a man and use your real account.
#65 - Tomi

no. a lateral slide induce more friction. more friction = slower. It is as simple as that.
#66 - axus

No mate, you're the one who's yammering on without knowing anything.
http://www.miata.net/sport/Physics/Part17.html
http://www.miata.net/sport/Physics/Part18.html

Now please, do some reading and learn or prove the above wrong by beating a few world records while drifting. On tarmac, that is.

EDIT:
Quote from Tomi :no. a lateral slide induce more friction. more friction = slower. It is as simple as that.

I recommend you leave the discussion at this point. Really, friction is what makes you turn. But this is much much more complex than the friction that is taught in basic physics/mechanics, and I shan't try to explain it here.
this guys a retard lock this thread now its really boring listening to this guy trying to prove thats he's the best driver in the world cos he slides round tracks slowly rather than drives round fast.

FACT IS YOU CANNOT DRIVE FAST.
Round and round we go...

This thread isn't going anywhere productive and is only likely to get worse.

/thread
This thread is closed

Ones and for all about drifting
(68 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG