The online racing simulator
donation
(22 posts, started )

Poll : yes or no to a donation system

not sure
no
yes
donation
what you think about a donation system so we can donate towards the running costs of the ctra servers
If you had a donation there then so would every other server owner want one, which isn't in the spirit of LFS IMO. My team provide 3 servers which obviously cost money but we are more than happy to pay it, and enjoy other peoples servers aswell, which is the way it works. I know myself I would be pretty peeved if I had to pay to go on somone elses server, and also pay for mine, which other people use for free. I reckon it's all to do with the LFS community thing
i agree to a certain extent but i dont think you understand how much it costs to run the ctra but thats your opinion so fine
#4 - SamH
Hey guys!

I have no objection to the poll, but I should let you know it's not the be-all-end-all to decide one way or another here. There's no risk of the CTRA collapsing because of funding issues. UKCT's server will always be there and as long as the CTRA servers are used, they'll be there too. Nobody needs to worry about anything. Also, for the record, the UKCT server is independently and handsomely funded and nobody is appealing for extra financial contributions
Quote from SamH :Hey guys!

I have no objection to the poll, but I should let you know it's not the be-all-end-all to decide one way or another here. There's no risk of the CTRA collapsing because of funding issues. UKCT's server will always be there and as long as the CTRA servers are used, they'll be there too. Nobody needs to worry about anything. Also, for the record, the UKCT server is independently and handsomely funded and nobody is appealing for extra financial contributions

Who sais No to money Joking
yeah i sorta knew that it is more that i dont think ukct should take all the cost, but thanks for being cool bout the poll
I had to vote Not Sure. While I'd like to say a solid yes, I don't think a donation system would be all that successful. You'd probably end up with the same half dozen people donating all the time, like happens with most clan/team servers.
ok yeah see your point
Quote from jasonmatthews :If you had a donation there then so would every other server owner want one, which isn't in the spirit of LFS IMO. My team provide 3 servers which obviously cost money but we are more than happy to pay it, and enjoy other peoples servers aswell, which is the way it works. I know myself I would be pretty peeved if I had to pay to go on somone elses server, and also pay for mine, which other people use for free. I reckon it's all to do with the LFS community thing

absolutly, thats the way it is....

we have 4 servers as well and we have to pay for them...

but everyone who isn´t paying at least something for the community,
feel free to do so in future
I run a donation system for my open source project and it's not all that successful. The good thing is that it doesn't take anything to maintain the donation system so anything donated helps, period. Paypal even has an option to do a "subscription" donation, where people could donate $5 a month or whatever. If half of the regulars were to donate $2 a month it would go a long way toward paying for almost everything and help decrease the burden.

I vote "definately" as there is no obligation and the money can definately help the devs and admins.
/shrug - server costs are just a matter of willingness to fund your hobby. Those of us who are die hard enough to do that do so willingly.

The only problem in getting the CTRA running again in patch X is that I really dont want to have to code it all again! I've got far too much non-LFS stuff and STCC stuff to worry about to be doing something i've already done! It's quite demotivating I can assure you.

One of the things i'm doing to make it more interesting for me is to create something bigger and better than has gone before. Something with sufficient technical hurdles to make it interesting for me to create.

Other than that the CTRA has no real issues in keeping going. I do personally, but that's not something i'd trouble you guys with. It serves me right for wasting so much money on LFS related projects in the past !. I still have a server in my conservatory doing nothing...
i like the way thread is working, nobody flaming nut people expressing their opinions, keep it up
#13 - Jakg
the server (the UKCT box that hosts all this stuff) is funded by some of us UKCT'ers, we keep it running with our dosh, UKCT don't really need any more.

But i do - i'll set up a "8800GTX Fund For Jakg" and you all put your cash in there :P

I'm happy paying my £5 a month
no jakg... i think if people want to donate to the cause then i think they should be able to... the money that we pay can go towards software upgrades ect...

just makes less financial strain on us.. because hosting a box like we have isnt cheap!
#15 - Jakg
good point

"8800GTX For The UKCT Server" fund then?
it does need a gfx card actually...

speaking of gfx card.. i need one stupid 6200 piece of crap. lol

i'll donate that 6200 for it! would be ample for what we need it for.
We're not after random handouts from random people here. What I don't think is being conveyed here (except by Sam above) is that the server is easily funded by the people that are already throwing money in. Sam's word overrides Jack's and Dan's on this one
Quote from JohnUK89 :We're not after random handouts from random people here. What I don't think is being conveyed here (except by Sam above) is that the server is easily funded by the people that are already throwing money in. Sam's word overrides Jack's and Dan's on this one

the point is if that somebody WANTS to donate.. they should be able to!
i think dan is saying what i was trying to that why no let people if the want
i think i made my point pretty clear :P
Quote :it does need a gfx card actually...

Actually no, the graphics card isn't up to the 3d userbars but putting a graphics card in wont help. The server is in a mini-ATX box which means it doesnt have room for a full height expansion card, which is what a graphics card is... Soooo it wants a new motherboard with integrated graphics that can do the job, something along the lines of an Asus A8V-VM SE (although that's a socket 939) - which is a great motherboard even if the slogan on the box does say "Rock Solid + Heart Touching" *wtf cringe*.

Of course, the only thing the current integrated graphics cannot do is the 3d userbard, which is no big loss. Such a small loss, infact, that i'm not bothering to code them into the new system... *waits for the long list of requests*.

They where quite cool, and i'd like them, but I dont think they're worth a bucket load of money and time down at the datacentre doing the upgrade.
i had those 3D userbars in mind when i was posting... would have been nice... but i personally think a Mobo upgrade is out of the question... at least for now anyway. But i might be wrong...

donation
(22 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG