The online racing simulator
Gentlefoot Formula Challenge Highlights
(21 posts, started )
Here's the highlights from the qualifying session of the pre season race at Fern Bay Club. Fraught!!

Comments welcome - it's my first. The high quality WMV download is highly recomended. Flash video is not good quality.

http://www.gentlefoot.com/LFS/GFC.html

See the top news item.
Quote from Gentlefoot :Here's the highlights from the qualifying session of the pre season race at Fern Bay Club. Fraught!!

Comments welcome - it's my first. The high quality WMV download is highly recomended. Flash video is not good quality.

See the top news item.

Come on - someone must have something to say about this - is it really that bad? I'd love some tips and ideas for the next one.

GF
Quote from LFSn00b :Block all the messages, and do it in a bit higher res, and it's good

Couldn't work out how to block the race messages. Blocked chat easy enough but couldn't find the config for other messages.

Didn't want to go bigger on the res cos of file size. It's 640x480 which looks fine on my machine even in full screen view. You did watch the wmv and not the flash video didn't you?

GF
Good work... seemed to last for ever . Spot meeeee

Shame the race only lasted 8 laps for me , ATC The End... Thanks for taking me out with your lag
Quote from LFSn00b :Shift+-

I watched the flash one, haven't seen the wmv.

flash has turned out to be terrible quality

Cheers for the message tip. A few of us were wondering that.
Bloody hell.. Well done Niko, you said something useful..
I found the video to be a bit bland. Didn't watch it all, it didn't seem to have enough pace to it.
#8 - bbman
Quote from Gentlefoot :Here's the highlights from the qualifying session of the pre season race at Fern Bay Club. Fraught!!

See the top news item.

Tbh, I found it boring and turned it off halfway through... It was just music with the same scenes over and over again, showing only how unrealisticly you have to throw your car through the chicanes to be quick... Maybe you should consider doing videos from races, as qualifies don't have action to them (read: passing maneuvres, close driving aso.)...
Quote from bbman :Tbh, I found it boring and turned it off halfway through... It was just music with the same scenes over and over again, showing only how unrealisticly you have to throw your car through the chicanes to be quick... Maybe you should consider doing videos from races, as qualifies don't have action to them (read: passing maneuvres, close driving aso.)...

None of the footage was repeated. But thanks for the criticsm anyway.
Quote from bbman :It was just music with the same scenes over and over again, showing only how unrealisticly you have to throw your car through the chicanes to be quick...

Unrealistic - I've been trying to work out what you are referring to and still can't suss it out. What's unrealistic about it? Looks very realistic to me. Feels very realistic too.

GF
You're trying to tell me that cutting a corner with almost all wheels on the grass is realistic? Or that ramming over a steep curb with speeds in excess of 100 km/h is realistic? I don't think so...

About the "same over and over again": Yes, it might have been different people every time, the cameras were almost exactly the same... I know the track isn't very long to begin with, and somebody who participated might see that one scene is from the early stages of the qualifying, the next more to the middle and so on... For an outsider, it's boring... I might add that the music throughout the whole vid never seemed fitting...
fox fo8 and james on the same bit of tarmac ? that sounds like a bad idea
Quote from bbman :You're trying to tell me that cutting a corner with almost all wheels on the grass is realistic? Or that ramming over a steep curb with speeds in excess of 100 km/h is realistic? I don't think so...

Maybe you should watch the trackguide. You will see what is possible with regard curbs around this track. You take as much curb as you can without losing time. Seems pretty realistic to me. Have you ever driven this track in a FOX or FO8?
Yes, and I know that it's possible, it's just not REALISTIC! If you can't grasp the difference, there is no point continuing this discussion...
Quote from bbman :Yes, and I know that it's possible, it's just not REALISTIC! If you can't grasp the difference, there is no point continuing this discussion...

In real life racers take curbs. You've never even driven the track in either of these cars anyway.

I have driven on race tracks in real life. I know what it feels like to take a curb and end up on two wheels. But it doesn't always lose you time.

Looking at you stats I would suggest you have very little idea of what is required to be fast in LFS anyway. Your best hotlap time is FOX/AS4 and it is 2 seconds slower than mine. I can't see any impressive lap times in your stats.
Oh, so I dared to criticize your video and you're trying to hit me where you think it might hurt... No wonder you got so many replies if you always act like this...

About the realism: You still don't get the point, and after that clumsy attempt to get back at me, I don't feel like telling you, greatest racer of them all...
Quote from bbman :Oh, so I dared to criticize your video and you're trying to hit me where you think it might hurt... No wonder you got so many replies if you always act like this...

I graciously accepted all your criticsm of the video. What I didn't accept was your criticsm of LFS physics which IMHO is pretty much spot on now apart from the collision detection.
Good video, but bbman has a point. Gentlefoot, what he is TRYING to say, is that driving over huge curbs, such as the ones in fern bay, as one drives over them to get a fast time in LFS would not be plausable in real life, as you would be sure to significantly damage the suspension. In LFS the suspension's are not damaged by shocks or sudden impacts as significantly as in real life, therefore the style of driving in LFS looks unrealistic, and this is reflected in the video.
I didn't like the music to be honest - it was weird and boring. A small suggestion for the upcoming movies: if you want to show action from the cockpit view I'd say have both wheels and hands drawn, it would look better although the lag would still ruin it. (is there plans to improve that?)
Other than that, nice cameras and slowmotion

PS the flash version is of horrible quality and most people would watch that out of convenience so you might want to do something about that because it doesn't reflect your skills and the feeling of the event well.
Quote from thisnameistaken :I found the video to be a bit bland. Didn't watch it all, it didn't seem to have enough pace to it.

Not enough pace? Everyones getting their knickers in a twist over this Video
http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?t=25183 and this is like watching paint dry at the start.... if you were showing either video to someone who had no interest in LFS I'm pretty sure they'd prefer to see action not simply nice camera work and editing
Quote from DaveWS : In LFS the suspension's are not damaged by shocks or sudden impacts as significantly as in real life, therefore the style of driving in LFS looks unrealistic, and this is reflected in the video.

good point. it's this reason I don't have the enthusiasm to keep playing any racing game online. as the secret to quick laps is not related to actual driving experience - more "zoning in" to the parameters of the physics model. same thing happens on GT legends - you see cars doing laptimes that even a modern touring car couldn't match. You could easily launch a car that high of the kerbs if you didn't have high speed bump control on the dampers - so the answer is the developers need to add high speed bump to the dampers and improve the damage model !

(21 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG