The online racing simulator
Huge Fps Problem
(13 posts, started )
Huge Fps Problem
Hi folks

Well it all started the other day just having a lesurily cruse around Aston Historic Reversed in my FOX when BOOM! my fps droped from my average of 45 fps with lots of people around down to an average of 15. The race got restarted and i was getting 9 on average with everyone around me. When im on my own i get 30-40 when i used to get 50-60. I havent changed ANYTHING on my comp for ages, ive done virus scans and ad wear scans, ive changed around lod setting and stuff like that to no avail it stays the same.

Anyone got a solution!!!

(yes i searched around and i belive that my problem is different to the other peoples)

Oh yeah specs
AMD 2400 XP at 2.0 ghz
1 gig of ram
ati 9600 XT 128 mb gfx card

the game has been running fine for ages on these specs mabey its just something up with my hdd but i dont wanna format caus i got to much stuff to back up :S (ps im also getting a new comp at christmas so yay go me)
AAL practice will do that to a machine...

Since you have run scans and not installed any new programs recently....

Check the fan on your video card, might have stopped working.

How is your PC in other games, are they slow now also? If so, my money is on your video card.

Good luck, let us know how you get on.
LFS is more CPU demanding than GPU, so you might want to check if it's CPU heat issue as well. Is your heat sink clean of dust? Check that the HSF (Heat Sink Fan) is also clean and still works fine.

What temperature is your CPU running at when idling and under load? (Motherboard Monitor 5 can help here http://mbm.livewiredev.com/ )
Quote :AMD 2400 XP at 2.0 ghz

I guess that means it's overclocked, so try to downstep it back to normal once and try LFS again. As far as we know LFS doesn't like OC'd stuff and sometimes makes weird things happen.

Besides that, I doubt it's a CPU heat issue. It's not that I think the old Athlons wouldn't get extremely hot, but because the Athlons don't do the automatic clock-reduction like Intel chips. The Athlons basically heat themselves up working 100% until either they die or the MB says "ahhhhh, SHUT IT" and you stare at a black screen (and if you happen to have an ASUS MB you hear the lovely female computer voice telling you "CPU temperature too high!!!1")
Quote from AndroidXP :I guess that means it's overclocked, so try to downstep it back to normal once and try LFS again. As far as we know LFS doesn't like OC'd stuff and sometimes makes weird things happen.

Besides that, I doubt it's a CPU heat issue. It's not that I think the old Athlons wouldn't get extremely hot, but because the Athlons don't do the automatic clock-reduction like Intel chips. The Athlons basically heat themselves up working 100% until either they die or the MB says "ahhhhh, SHUT IT" and you stare at a black screen (and if you happen to have an ASUS MB you hear the lovely female computer voice telling you "CPU temperature too high!!!1")

Not 100% true. If the mobo supports it, it will throttle (I know mine does, after a crappy BIOS update, and I can't turn it off like I could the old version).
Slap on mbm5, turn on logging, and run the game. When it starts to slow down, quit, and check the logs. See what it says was going on.

It could also be that your memory isn't emptying and is getting clogged, which would drop everything into cache, and that WILL slow you down.
well im actualy thining it may be a hdd issue im gonna run a reg cleaner and see what that does if it does nothing then ill look into the cpu

EDIT: well its fixed the little fps skips i get sometiems but its still mad as laggy with people (BTW i have NOT overclocked i think i just screwed up my numbers lol )
EDIT2: well ive also tried cleaning out the ram i now get about 50 on my own but it still lags like shit with other people around could it just be that aston historic is too big and laggy for me?? also i have no idea how to use this motherboad program thingy i need a few instructions to get the info you guys need
Quote from AndroidXP :I guess that means it's overclocked...

I thought the same thing, but an AMD XP 2400 + default speed is normally around 1.93MHz to 2MHz... a quick google advised me that, you didn't get your figures wrong Mr.Ferret . It's 15 x 133 for this CPU (which equals 1995MHz, which is why they are rated between 1.93MHz to 2MHz).

My CPU is an Athlon 2500 +, default is 11 x 166 = 1826MHz (actual speed for mine is 1832MHz). Right now it's overclocked to 11 x 199 = 2189MHz (actual speed for mine is 2182MHz). My generic ram (2 x 512MB PC3200 dual channel) doesn't like BF2 when the FSB is 200, runs completely stable at 199 though
well im still having major problems fps is still shocking no matter WHAT settings i change. somone mentioned unclogging the ram or something how do i do that?

Is it usual for the cpu to run at 95 - 100 % whilst playing lfs?!??!?
Since *nothing* has changed in the system, try defragging your HD. It gets very, very messy/time and I've had dramatic performance boosts in the past after doing it. Even better, use a 3rd party defragger like O&O instead of the one bundled (sigh..) w/ Windows.

Another thing you can try is changing the CPU priority for the LFS.exe app.
Open Task Manager, go to processes, right-click on LFS.exe and select Above-normal.
Don't put it any higher or you start getting major system perf issues while LFS is running.

Yes.. LFS takes a lot of the CPU, my 2500+ hogs virtually all of it while driving.
thanks for the tips not an ilusion the defrag program looks good

EDIT: well ive done thoes things and it hasnt really helped like in fern bay green in the gtr's with about 14 other people around its around 6 fps (which sucks caus i got a race under thoes cercimstances next thursday!!)
Does it happen in single player?
well i get more fps in single (no other cars) but the problems started during a multiplayer game

EDIT: I THINK I MAY HAVE FOUND OUT THE PROBLEM!!! you know how i said my cpu is a 2.0 ghz right? well i remeber a long time ago i had this bug that the computer would think that my cpu was runing at 993 hz but did not affect performance at all. Now i it is doing the same thing but it is affecting the performance only thing is... I FORGOT HOW I FIXED IT LAST TIME!!! i dont think i had to touch the bios to fix it either ANY SUGGESTIONS?!?!?! (sorry for all the caps got a lan in 45 minutes and we are playing fear so it would kinda help if my comp was up to scratch for that lol )
sorry for the double post but.... I FIXED IT!!!

it was that cpu problem i showed it to one of the guys at the lan and he changed the clock speed of my cpu in the bios and now its 70 fps!!!! and aboyt 50 with sh!t loads of people around!!!!

But still illd like to thank all of you guys for all the tips you gave me im sure they will be handy again some other time

One more thing i wasnt albe to figure out what caused it and if i dont push F1 at start up it runs at a 1.17 but meh it works now i dont care!!

Huge Fps Problem
(13 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG