The online racing simulator
Spinoff : Too many racers to restart!
(43 posts, started )
Spinoff : Too many racers to restart!
Has any one else noticed that once a server gets above 30 players, It becomes a serious chore to start a race.

I know it's a bit late as a suggestion for X, but it might be better to give somebodys vote a few more minutes before it expires.
and maybe if a new guest connects, the vote does not cancel +1
If admin is online that shouldn't be a problem.
maybe a server side option should be implemented:

autorestart delay :5min after race ending (there is already an insim app to do it)
Quote from Milanche :If admin is online that shouldn't be a problem.

what a silly and counter-productive thing to say. hell, let's not try and fix anything so long as the server admins can do it!
Why does a vote cancel after a short time, if i vote i don´t want vote again for the same, i will that my vote will be saved for eternal and that no reason can change my vote, the only one true reason to change a vote is if the one who voted disconnect or go to spectators.
I remember the cancelling is there because of out of sync errors if the connect would happen while the race is restarting.
Quote from otolikos :maybe a server side option should be implemented:

autorestart delay :5min after race ending (there is already an insim app to do it)

Yes, this would solve everything really. +1
Quote from otolikos :maybe a server side option should be implemented:

in general a good idea, but in some cases those 5 mins are to short. like for example you are just fooling around on a server and waiting for people to connect (usually happens on the non-normal combinations).

the voting thing is still the best basic thing I can think of.

my wish / hope is to get rid of the expireing votes. Once you pressed that it should stay that way until someone connects, race is restarted or you cancel your vote (shift + r again to cancel vote). I think that would solve most cases.
so first shift +r says: "I'm ready to restart"
and 2nd shift + r cancels the "vote"
The problem now seems to be the vote expiring with people connecting. A lot of actions hold when people connect (pitting, voting). Think that is the underlying issue here.
there should be something like a 5min. auto restart with a countdown, so everyone sees how much time he/she has to change setup and stuff. during those 5 min. everyone who wants to take part, has to press "shift+r" everyone who did not vote for restart, will be sent to spectate automatically on the restart. so there won't be any standing drivers. (or not that much at least)
+1 for auto restart
+1 for Welcome Message including this info
"THIS SERVER RESTARTS X MINUTES AFTER THE PRIOR FINISH"

So you know if its a quick server, or one you can run grab a sandwich and not miss the start
Quote from Fischfix :there should be something like a 5min. auto restart with a countdown, so everyone sees how much time he/she has to change setup and stuff. during those 5 min. everyone who wants to take part, has to press "shift+r" everyone who did not vote for restart, will be sent to spectate automatically on the restart. so there won't be any standing drivers. (or not that much at least)

A delay until restart (after a race has completed) would be good so you can get a drink, have a pee, whatever and know you will not miss the start.....

Having to rejoin (shift-r or another key) would be good as long as theres a display showing who's in/out..... Something like next race grid.....

This would help to stop the problems where someone has gone away / switched focus etc and is an obstacle on the starting grid.

Combine F9 and F10 menus (which I now have on all the time because otherwise the race position list covers the mirrors for me!), and thus free F10 to become a race/next race details page, so you can see who has opted in for the next race and other nice things I cant think of right now.

That, and Fischfix's idea sounds quite workable. Admittedly more hassle, but then I'm still struggling to come to terms with the Shift-S reassign so...
Quote from Fischfix :there should be something like a 5min. auto restart with a countdown, so everyone sees how much time he/she has to change setup and stuff. during those 5 min. everyone who wants to take part, has to press "shift+r" everyone who did not vote for restart, will be sent to spectate automatically on the restart. so there won't be any standing drivers. (or not that much at least)

+1 This would solve the problem of people who leave their cars on the track to run to the bathroom, get a drink, food, kiss the wife, put the kids to bed, scratch unmentionable areas, etc.
Just make it so that votes/restart doesn't reset while someone (dis)connects.
Quote from Yaamboo :I remember the cancelling is there because of out of sync errors if the connect would happen while the race is restarting.

If that is the case, maybe just start the restart timer if it's already on.

Knowing nothing about how this actually works it doesn't seem that hard to save the votes/not cancel the restart if someone disconnects or connects.
To stop a number of people going for a J Arthur between races causing a delay, what about after 3 minutes of the end of the previous race, something similar to the end race screen would come up, and those who will be involved in the next race would click "ready" to join the grid ...
imo the best thing would be an autorestart after X minutes when more than Y people are on the server else normal voting... (X&Y setable by the admin)...
When the 'delay' function is added to the scripting then, amongst other things, hosters will be able to provide a next race countdown message.
Seems Scawen is on top of this

Quote from Scawen :Thanks! Now we have a way to reproduce it every time.

You program didn't run on my windows for some reason, so I've compiled again with your source code and attached it here.

I'll do some remote debugging and try to catch this later. Remote debugging, for anyone who doesn't know, means : running the program on a different computer from the debugger, and that is needed when you are debugging things going full screen, because when it goes full screen you can't see the debugger.

Yes, when too many people join and leave all at once, it can go wrong. I've already improved some things and will probably test this evening. Though I'm keen to make in-game votes and the game setup screen "ready" flags persistent because it's so hard to get in for a race or restart. So... patch X is already delayed and it's better to fix these known serious issues or it really isn't that good for 32 players.

Timing
I think that for every person on the server above 10 or 15 people, 2 seconds should be added to the time until the vote expires... or something like that.
Quote from Stang70Fastback :I think that for every person on the server above 10 or 15 people, 2 seconds should be added to the time until the vote expires... or something like that.

This wouldn't really solve the problem of people connecting when the restart is in progress.

Is it not okay to just make voting un-effected by joining players? Then if the newly joined player try's to vote, just display a message such as "Vote was started proir to connection - please wait until new vote".
Understood
Point well taken, but that's another problem altogether. I was just trying to offer a solution for the problem that the first person stated. When 30 people
are in a race, it's hard to get everyone to vote to restart in the given time before a vote expires. I just think that as the number of people in the race increases, so should the allotted time before a vote expires.
Just make a Vote prio, Person that been on server for X amount of time got more controll over restart the more Persons been online share this prio. This will make it hard for newcomers to get in and restart it. But allso make it easyer for ppl that been on server to make a restart as thy have more controll over the restart
Heh, that sounds complicated. As pointed out above, Scawen has already commented on this:

Quote from Scawen :I'm keen to make in-game votes and the game setup screen "ready" flags persistent [...]

That's the kombat teams way of doing things! ie, either you're ready or you're not. No need to have everyone hit shift-r at exactly the same time. If enough people are flagged 'ready', just go.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG