The online racing simulator
What is 'clutch pack preload'?
(15 posts, started )
I've heard this term mentioned a few times, especially as the new patch has introduced it, but I have no idea what it is, other than it involves the clutch somehow.

Anyone care to enlighten me?
Phew, I thought I was the only one who didn't understand any of that
That really is as simple as it gets, try to read slower and take things in
Somebody wrote this yesterday. I can`t remember who !?

The more preload you add, the more the car will behave like with a locked diff during the change from being "on power" to "engine braking" (or the other way round). A clutch pack LSD without preload completely opens up (read: it's like a open diff) if there is no torque acting on it, which can have a very bad effect if you were relying on the stabilizing effect of the LSD.

So, it mainly affects you during the short time after braking for a corner, where you're almost not on the throttle yet (neutral load on the diff). If the car is oversteering in that situation, add preload. If it is too hard to turn and understeers off all the time, remove preload.
Quote from alland44 :Somebody wrote this yesterday. I can`t remember who !?

You must have copied and pasted it from somewhere.
Quote from Bob Smith :You must have copied and pasted it from somewhere.

Witness the power of COPY AND PASTE!

Anyway, I remember myslef giving a similar description in the Car Setups section some time ago when preloaded clutch diffs were new new to LFS racers. Only that mine actually includes a simple experiment to allow people to understand preload on a much more instinctive and fundamental level.
Seriously, the link andriod provided has all the information you need. If however you also don't know how a basic diff works, then you better go to howstuffworks or you can wikipedia it.
Quote from Bob Smith :You must have copied and pasted it from somewhere.

Yes I have. I used it in a danish forum, but forgot to mention the author
Pff, I'll sue you

(15 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG